I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

looking for crankbait rod ideas
Posted by: James Beaudry (---.maine.res.rr.com)
Date: December 16, 2013 08:10PM

hello everyone. I am sure this topic has been gone over many times before but I am pretty new to rod building and would like some input on good relatively inexpensive crankbait rod blanks. I am looking to build a few different ones for various applications. I am debating between fiberglass or graphite. just wondering what other peoples thoughts are regarding this. pro's and con's of both? here is a list of some of the blanks I have been looking at. I am sure there are many others I am not aware of. happy holidays

rx7 crankbait series
forecast e-glass
mhx blend

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: looking for crankbait rod ideas
Posted by: Chester Kiekhafer (---.client.mchsi.com)
Date: December 16, 2013 09:50PM

Check out the Batson line at Get Bit Outdoors, there on the left side. Nice bunch to work with and very helpful and fast on service.

Chester

May your line be tight and your beverages be cold!

Posted by: Lou Auret (---.hsd1.tn.comcast.net)
Date: December 16, 2013 09:51PM

Get hold of Lance at swampland ( sponsor on left) and get a Seeker RFLE in S glass of a length and power to suit the fish, waters you target and the lures you throw. I like them spinning others like them casting.

Posted by: Michael Danek (50.124.21.---)
Date: December 16, 2013 11:16PM

I personally don't care for glass due to its weight. Graphite can be made to have any action wanted, and it will always be lighter and more sensitive than glass. (OK, everyone, shoot holes in the argument). The Amtak Bushido blanks are really nice and moderately priced. I've built the lighter of the CB blanks and love it.

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: December 17, 2013 11:35AM

You're correct, action has nothing to do with the material the rod is made from.

Posted by: J.B. Hunt (---.ppoe.dsl.logantele.com)
Date: December 17, 2013 11:56AM

I build just about all of my Crankin rods on Popping blanks anymore. You can get them in various powers. My guys love them.

J.B.Hunt
Bowling Green, KY

Posted by: James Beaudry (---.maine.res.rr.com)
Date: December 17, 2013 11:58AM

thanks guys

Posted by: Thomas Kaufmann (---.direcpc.com)
Date: December 17, 2013 08:37PM

give Lance a call at Swampland and ask about some of their Castaways if you like graphite or as previously mentioned as them about the blanks that were designed by Rich Forhan.

Posted by: dave schaub (216.52.207.---)
Date: December 18, 2013 01:28PM

A lot of bassing folks have used fiberglass for cranking because the rods are softer than graphite and less likely to pull the hooks out of the fish's mouth on hookset. I have
two casting rods of fiberglass and really like them. I also have some graphite casting rods and really like them. It is a matter of taste. Either will work, you just have to
experiment and find what you prefer. I definitely use graphite for the finess type rods. All of the vendors mentioned above are first class and will help you with selections.

Posted by: John Shear (199.116.173.---)
Date: December 18, 2013 05:11PM

James, I prefer graphite casting rods for crankbaits/spinnerbaits. The graphite gives me better feel of the lure wobble and if it bumps into rocks or wood or picks up debris. But yes I also like the rod to be a little softer. So I use the St Croix Premier 70MF. Their Avid and more expensive rods are a little too firm or "tight" for my taste in this application.
Like anything else, each individual develops a personal preference so there isn't one "right" answer.

John

Posted by: Mark Marshall (---.static.kgpt.tn.charter.com)
Date: December 18, 2013 11:15PM

James
You need to have an idea on what type of c-baits you will be throwing. I use Batson's myself but the brands listed above are fine. I have 4 different blanks, 3 are out of their crankbait line and 1 is a popping blank. Thats not counting the jerk baits. Crankbait rods are like a bag of golf clubs. What is it, 13 clubs to a bag?

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster