I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

27x multiple spool diameters
Posted by: Chad Barlongo (---.hawaiiantel.net)
Date: December 07, 2013 12:26AM

Hello,

Suppose you had three favorite reels in similar sizes but different spool diameters. Is it possible to build a rod that will handle reasonably well with each reel by taking the average of all spool diameters and using that figure to find your choke point?

Or would it be preferable to build three separate rods for each reel. Just wondering how this would work as I sometimes find myself swapping reels on the same rod depending on application. Thanks in advance for your thoughts and consideration.

-chad

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: 27x multiple spool diameters
Posted by: mike thacker (---.stx.res.rr.com)
Date: December 07, 2013 01:48AM

Could you build the best rod/reel set up if you built 3 rods...yes
Could you build a good rod that fishes all 3 reels well...probably...if they are not drastically different in there sizes.
maybe build for the middle reel to get best performance out of that one and then get reasonably well performance out of the other two..

i don't know...have some fun with it

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: December 07, 2013 02:19AM

Chad,
I am quite curious as well.
Please do some testing catching fish, not just casting and let us know what you find catching your favorite fish.
After all, the single purpose of a rod is to catch fish. If one reel size helps you catch more fish, that would be great to know.

Be safe

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 12/07/2013 02:37AM by roger wilson.

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: December 07, 2013 08:29AM

I think Mike gave you good advice. If the reels are relatively close in size, you should be okay with either an average or building for the middle sized one.

Posted by: Garry Thornton (---.natsow.res.rr.com)
Date: December 07, 2013 09:57AM

You could build using Microwave guides, since they don't care about spool diameter, and all your reels would work fine.

Posted by: Roger Templon (---.aoo.pa.atlanticbb.net)
Date: December 07, 2013 11:35AM

Chad

I interchange different reels on my smallmouth rods all of the time. The reels spools are all different diameters but are relatively close. I just averaged the diameters and use the reel closest to the average to build from. It seems to work ok for me. (ps - I am a true believer in the "X27" method for setting up guide spacing. A vast improvement over the the "cone of flight" method I used when I first started building rods!)

Rog

Date: December 08, 2013 01:36AM

Hello,

Appreciate everyone's input. Yes the spool diameters are fairly close, each reel's choke point falls within an inch or two of the others. Roger W, I fish mainly 1/8-1/2 oz swim-baits and jig heads for smaller trevally we have here in the islands. They are quite fun to fish for as the species stalk and ambush prey in a method similar to bass.

Roger T, thanks for that info. Have you ever done a comparison between building for the reel closest to the average vs. using the average itself? I can see how building closest to the average would allow you to always have that one reel for optimum performance. This should be an interesting project and it's encouraging to know interchanging reels with 27x has been done with good results.

-chad

Posted by: ernest sebastian (---.fast.net.id)
Date: December 08, 2013 01:56AM

same question if you walk in i fishing shop and look factory rod with NGC or KR concept fuji tag in it
that rod use NGC or KR concept without mentioning specific reel that suitable for it

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: December 08, 2013 08:25AM

If you want to get crazy Try building like said The middle reel
Try all the reels on it Then change the size guides and test to find the best

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Russell Brunt (---.mia.bellsouth.net)
Date: December 08, 2013 11:38AM

"Or would it be preferable to build three separate rods for each reel"

Well, I don't know that each reel needs three rods:) But considering this is a rodbuilding forum I'd say each rod having three reels can't be tolerated.

These days I like to have two spools for each reel. I'll fish 200-250 yards of mono on one spool and 200-250 yards of braid on the other. Allows me to cover a lot of ground. St, Croix's have always done a nice job of fishing both ends of their line rating for me. Something like the 2SW76MLF/3SW76MLF sounds about like what you are looking for. Step up to the medium power for your 3/8 to 1/2 ounce offerings. I fish the 2SW70MF with 8# mono and 15# braid and have a blast with trigger fish and snapper yet have taken king mackeral, dolphin, and bonita with it (10# biggest so far).

Russ in Hollywood, FL.

Posted by: Terry Turner (---.hsd1.or.comcast.net)
Date: December 08, 2013 01:07PM

Since you are building NGC, the choke point is one consideration but the first guide is also one as well. If the spool sizes are similar but the spool angles are significantly different, the location of the stripping guide can be critical as well. You can get close but I would follow the suggestion of building for the middle reel, or the one you are likely to use most often.

Terry

Date: December 08, 2013 05:08PM

On this
You may be better with the Microwave Guides

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Dennis Danku (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: December 08, 2013 07:22PM

Build it with a Tennessee handle, then you can move the reel to suit your choke point.

Dennis J. Danku
(Sayreville,NJ)

Date: December 08, 2013 07:26PM

Some builders don't like those handles ???

Bill - willierods.com

Date: December 08, 2013 09:10PM

Hello,

Thanks guys for sharing more thoughts on this. I will be trying out some of your suggestions and hopefully have some solid data to report. Since I will only have one blank, will I be fine test fishing each variation with the guides taped on? Or will temporary wraps in my ugliest thread color be better? I have done test casts with taped-on guides, but never fished that way so not sure if it would work.

Terry T, thanks for bringing up the importance of spool angle and line flow through the butt guide, I'll be sure to check that each reel is within acceptable tolerances of the others before I start.

Bill B, I would probably go the Microwave route if not for already having some extra sets of BYAG and LAG guides laying around.

Dennis D, I would rather not have to tape/un-tape a reel multiple times throughout a months worth of fishing. Just personal preference, but now that you mention it, I believe I saw an adjustable tubular reel seat where you could slide the reel up and down while browsing online a while back.

Russell B, Haha thanks for the laugh! It was a late night post and I must have been closer to sleep than awake. Maybe I need to refurbish one of those older rods with two sets of guides on opposite axis and add a third set? Your set-up though sounds pretty close to what I have been using, just slightly longer rods in a 2-piece for ease of transport. My last rods were ultralights built on St Croix's 42F865.2 trout/panfish blanks. Really liked the action, so will definitely look into those blanks you suggested.

-chad

Date: December 08, 2013 09:29PM

If you are worring about it that much

Build THREE rods

Just don't tell the wife ?? LOL

Bill - willierods.com

Date: December 08, 2013 09:40PM

Hello,

Not an option. She knows her way around fishing gear and has a keen eye for any recent purchase. I am, however, hoping to use up these Fuji BYAGs I have laying around so I can make a case for buying a nice new set of guides :)

-chad

Date: December 09, 2013 09:15AM

Shut the computer off
The wife is looking over your shoulder

Bill - willierods.com

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/09/2013 09:17AM by bill boettcher.

Posted by: Jay Lancaster (---.hsd1.sc.comcast.net)
Date: December 09, 2013 09:31AM

LoL

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster