I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

slack on a power wrapper
Posted by: Teague Parker (---.dyn.centurytel.net)
Date: November 25, 2013 12:13AM

I've been using a hand wrapper for quite some time. From the beginning, slack caused by the rubber bands releasing their elasticity when I'd stop wrapping really irritated me. So I bought a spring wire thread tensioning device which pretty much took care of the problem. However, I've been considering moving to a power wrapper. I realize that power wrappers don't use rubber band tensioning, but how positive are they in maintaining consistent tension when you stop wrapping and can chuck be turned manually as well? I'm not visualizing how they can be turned back without a spring tensioning device either. Thanks in advance for your input in spite of my poor attempt to describe my concerns.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: slack on a power wrapper
Posted by: Garry Thornton (---.natsow.res.rr.com)
Date: November 25, 2013 12:45AM

There is a spring on the thread tensioning devise of most power wrappers.
These tensioners are stolen from sewing machines and have been around since Ole King Cole was a Prince.
It is small, and only tightens about 1.5 inches of thread...If you have to back up a long way you will have to rewind your spool as you go.
Yes you can turn the chuck manually...If you don't step on the power peddle you have a very fancy manual winder

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: November 25, 2013 02:58AM

Teague,
I prefer to use the DC powered wrapper that I make.
The wrapper uses a small dc gear motor - powered by a variable voltage power supply.
It is very easy to reverse direction on a DC motor. Simply swap the voltage leads going to the motor and the motor reverses.
So, I incorporate a reversing switch on the power supply, so that I can back up the wrapper as much as I need if I make a mistake.

When I stop the power wrapper, there is no backing up or slack in my thread feed.

If I do a mistake and need to reverse, I flip the switch, press the pedal and back up as much as needed. I just grab the thread on the supply side of the tensioner and take up any slack in the thread. Very simple and easy.

Be safe

Posted by: Teague Parker (---.dyn.centurytel.net)
Date: November 25, 2013 08:57AM

Very helpful. Thanks gents.

Posted by: Chris Tulk (---.dsl.bell.ca)
Date: November 25, 2013 09:48AM

Hi Roger

Do you sell these? Any pictures?

Posted by: Barry Thomas Sr (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: November 25, 2013 10:14PM

Roger built this DC Set-up for me. It use a Switch to control the rotation direction, I installed a full bench length control rod to the switch

[www.rodbuilding.org]

[www.rodbuilding.org]

[www.rodbuilding.org]

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 11/25/2013 10:23PM by Barry Thomas Sr.

Posted by: Mel Shimizu (---.lsanca.dsl-w.verizon.net)
Date: November 26, 2013 12:59PM

I do not have much experience with different brands and models of rod lathes but I suppose that the answer to your question would be dependent on which brand or model you choose. I use a CPW rod lathe and the model that I have is directly connected to the motor with no pulley nor belt. The motor is free wheeling when not powered so it is easy to turn by hand ( backwards and forward) when the situation dictates. The rod will back up on you especially if using large spinning guides but this can be overcome by tightening down on the rollers so that more friction is created. However, this will also make it harder to hand turn. The DC motor with a six way switch works good too but I find it cumbersome to have to do the switching and rather do it by hand turning. Having said that, you need a motor that is free wheeling to do this. Before you buy, you should ask these questions about the brand and model that you are buying.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster