I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

CHUCKING BLANKS
Posted by: Frank Willis (---.owb.bellsouth.net)
Date: November 23, 2013 03:20PM

I'm new to rod building, so have a lot of basic questions. This one has to do with chucking a blank in the lathe. What is the proper way. The printed material that came with the Renzetti lathe says the best way is to use an expansion vise. What is an expansion vise and where do you get one? Any info on the subject will sure be appreciated and I'm sure this won't be the last of my questions. Thanks for your help.

Frank Willis
Owensboro, Ky.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: CHUCKING BLANKS
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: November 23, 2013 03:31PM

The simplest thing to do is just get some sections of scrap blank and insert one that fits closely into the butt of the blank you want to chuck. Put a few wraps of masking tape around the butt of the scrap piece to keep it from slipping in the smooth chuck jaws.

If the scrap piece isn't an exact fit, shim fore or aft with a bit of tape.

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: November 23, 2013 06:37PM

Frank,
If you are chucking the bare blank into a wrapper setup - i.e. with no grip glued on the blank, I suggest that YOU NEVER EVER chuck a bare blank into any sort of chuck on a wrapper or lathe.

There is just a huge risk from crushing, if you chuck a bare blank into any sort of chuck.

Rather, Use a piece of solid blank material - graphite, fiber glass or similar.

One very good source of solid blank material, if you don't have any on hand would be to go to your local hard ware store and pick up an inexpensive driveway marker.

[www.lowes.com]

or
[www.fleetfarm.com]

Or, if you want, I could drop ship a bunch of cut off solid blanks that I have left over from chopping longer blanks.

If the solid blank is too large to insert into the hollow new blank, just cut off a section of blank - say 5 inches or so. Then, chuck the cut off solid blank into a variable speed drill. Then, if you have a power sander, just hold the spinning solid blank against the power sander, or grind stone. Sand or grind down the end of the blank into a long taper, so that you have a nice tapered fit for the inside of the blank.

If the blank is larger than the unmodified piece of solid blank material, just use masking tape to build up the end of the solid blank, so that you have a friction fit on the inside of the new rod blank, from the fit of the masking tape on the inside of the blank.
I normally use two or three rows of masking tape to make the taper longer and to give more length to the taper for an even better hold on the inside of the new blank.

Now, just take the chuck that is on your new lathe, place the solid blank into the chuck and tighten it down - nice and tight.
Then, when you are ready to spin the new blank, first take masking tape and place about 4 or 5 wraps around the very butt of the rod blank. The masking tape eliminates any cracking from happening to the new blank. Then,, simply slip the new blank over the correctly sized tapered solid blank that is inserted into the wrapper chuck.

You will never crush the blank, because there is no crushing force on the outside of the blank.
You will never split the blank, because the masking tape acts in the same way as a rod joint thread wrap, to correctly hold all parts of the blank together without damage.

By the way, the recent video that I just sent you, illustrates the use of a solid blank inserted into a chuck for illustration purposes.

Be safe \

Posted by: Dennis Danku (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: November 24, 2013 03:49PM

Frank, Now that the Holidays are upon us I'm sure there will be alot of corks popping to celebrate the season. Save those CORKS !!! Put them in the mivowave for about 30 to 45 seconds to get them back to their orignal shape. Now they are ready to use. Put them in your lathe and drill a center hole in the cork to snuggly fit the blank you are going to wrap. You can tighten the jaws of your chuck onto the cork without fear of crushing the blank. I use this for ultra lite blanks and in my drying stands as arbors around the blank.

Dennis J. Danku
(Sayreville,NJ)

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster