I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

EcoWrapper question
Posted by: Randy Pearson (---.hsd1.or.comcast.net)
Date: November 16, 2013 03:19PM

For those of you that have an EcoWrapper, does the pulley float on the rod, or does it stay in one place on the rod?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: EcoWrapper question
Posted by: Phil Erickson (---.dsl.pltn13.sbcglobal.net)
Date: November 16, 2013 04:49PM

What pulley? I have one and it has no pulley.

Date: November 16, 2013 06:03PM

There is a metal rod with a white spool or pulley on it which you wrap the thread around after you pull it off the spool. The thread then goes to the rod. I am wondering if that white spool or pulley slides on the rod or if it is stationery and doesn't slide.

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: November 16, 2013 06:15PM

I'd shoot Clyde an email and ask. His contact info is to be found in the left in the sponsor column under "The Rod Shop."

Posted by: chris short (101.172.85.---)
Date: November 16, 2013 07:13PM

Yes the pulley moves along I love mine

Date: November 16, 2013 07:36PM

I am working on building my first rod wrapper after checking out a few systems. I really like the EcoWrapper set up. Just about have it complete, but was wondering about the pulley.

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: November 16, 2013 07:50PM

This 2009 you tube video makes no mention of a pulley:
[www.youtube.com]

Date: November 16, 2013 08:02PM

Roger--
In the video, do you see the rod going across in front of the spool carriage? On that rod right in front of the spool carriage is a white "pulley-like" thing that the thread wraps around coming off the spool.

Date: November 16, 2013 08:35PM

Randy,
I didn't realize that you were suggesting that that was a pulley, but once you have pointed it out, - Yes it is certainly a pulley.

Basically, it is a line guide.

You come off the thread spool, and run it over the white pulley line guide to always have the same angle of thread coming from the line guide - no matter which spool of thread you are using.

For all of the thread and tension holders that I have used over the years, I have simply used a medium sized fishing pole guide that is drilled into a hole in the base of my thread holder.

But, for this Eco wrapper design, the use of the white pulley as a line guide make perfect sense.

Sorry for the double post, I see that you have already answered the question.

Be safe

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/16/2013 08:36PM by roger wilson.

Date: November 16, 2013 09:23PM

I think it is a great system. That's why I was interested in finding out the details of its workings. When I get done I will try and post pictures.

Date: November 16, 2013 10:15PM

So you are trying to copy the EcoWrapper! Not nice!!

Date: November 17, 2013 10:17AM

I had never looked closely at the Eco Wrapper before last night.

I imagine that it works just fine for the purpose.

But, there are a million other ways to make a wrapper that works as well, or even much better than this wrapper.

Yes, I do agree that an imitation of a product can work, but maybe - a person can make a much smaller and much more compact product that will work as well or even better.

However, I will admit, that for a firs time wrapper, this wrapper does have some interesting ideas - although a bit on the bulky side.

Remember, all that a wrapper needs to do, is to support a rod while wrapping and having a way to feed thread under tension to the rod being wrapped. What ever method or apparatus that you use to do the job is a way to accomplish the task.

Be safe

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: November 17, 2013 10:36AM

I took the idea of the plate over the spools of thread to keep the wing nuts from getting loose

Bill - willierods.com

Date: November 17, 2013 10:55AM

Phil--
My guess I am not the only one who has borrowed aspects of a marketed rod wrapper when building one. Someone else here wrote about exploring a hybrid between the ecowrapper and sully's wrapper. I have borrowed aspects of a few different wrappers. I like the t-track that Mike Barkley used in his. I have inline skate wheels on mine. We will see how it works.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: November 17, 2013 04:31PM

When I built my Wrapper - dryer- lath I first looked at many of these type of equipment
Took ides from some added some of my own

A little common sense and mechanical ability

Bill - willierods.com

Date: November 17, 2013 07:07PM

Bill
X1000.

Roger

Date: November 17, 2013 09:47PM

I guess we all barrow ideas form others, but care should be used as the EcoWrapper is a Patented device, and there are reasons for patents!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster