I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Micro Wave guides from AT
Posted by: sanford hochman (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: November 09, 2013 08:24AM

I notice that when the topic of the AT Microwave guides are discussed, they relate to freshwater. Is there a problem using them for inshore saltwater? I am building one for going after fluke and striped bass in the NE. What other micro guides would work? Thanks,
Sanford Hochmna

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Micro Wave guides from AT
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: November 09, 2013 09:44AM

Your line has no idea if it's being used in fresh or saltwater. The same criteria applies - use the smallest and lightest guides that will easy pass your line, any knots and will stand up to the task at hand.

Posted by: Jim Gamble (---.res.bhn.net)
Date: November 09, 2013 11:31AM

They do offer "Tidal Wave" guides which are directed at the inshore market. They aren't corrosion proof, but rather corrosion resistant. A titanium coating is used over stainless. If you want true saltwater guides, you will have to look at Fuji or Kigan solid titanium alloy frames and a 27X layout. You won't find a difference in distance between an appropriate 27X (or similar) layout and the Micro Wave (or Tidal Wave) concept. In respect to "Micro" guides, be careful just how small you get those running guides, knots need to pass them with ease. Be sure to use a Forhan locking wrap on any single foot guides, it does make a difference in durability.

Posted by: Tom Wewerka (---.bltmmd.fios.verizon.net)
Date: November 09, 2013 01:30PM

Sanford The Tidal Wave in either spinning or casting (which you didn't mention) offer titaniium coating over stainless steel ONLY on the stripping and transition guides. The running guides, which are 7 out of the 9 guides are 100% titanium and totally corrision free. This looks like a pretty good set to me for saltwater use.

Many of us have built plenty of rods using this system, and my customers are very pleased with the results.

Tom

tomscustomrods.com
Bel Air, Maryland

Date: November 09, 2013 01:44PM

Thanks guys,
Tom,
You live in my home state. I had a home in Silver Spring, and spent most of my time on the Chesapeake Bay. I am making a spinning rod as well as a casting rod for someone and want to make sure these guides will work out. My blank is a Boshido 7' which I understand can take a lot of abuse.I have not used micro guides until now. We fish up here in Cape Cod for striped bass and blue fish, and they can be heavy as well as good fighters. I mainly fish for tuna, but that won't be what these guides will be for. The information helps.
Sanford

Posted by: Michael Danek (50.42.186.---)
Date: November 09, 2013 01:52PM

If AT is using the same stainless on the Microwaves, it is the better stainless for corrosion resistance.

Posted by: Dennis Danku (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: November 09, 2013 05:39PM

Sanford, Take Jim's advise and be alert to the knots if your using braided line and shock leaders. If you use Swamplands Micro-Wave guide its main ring is a 30mm and the micro is an 8mm thats not much room for a knot to pass thru. If your going to use mono, will 17# test surfice? I'd go K-guides.

Dennis J. Danku
(Sayreville,NJ)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/09/2013 05:44PM by Dennis Danku.

Date: November 10, 2013 10:29AM

Thanks Dennis,
Yes I was aware of the knot issue. Using braid of around #30 (compared to 40 or 50 mono), I can make a double uni which would go through the small guides. I wonder what they thought we would do...glue two ends together of #5 braid???????????

Date: November 11, 2013 03:38PM

I don't have any issue with a Micro Wave 30/8 butt guide. I use 7mm running guides on inshore and freshwater rods. Between knots and duckweed, I just found I don't like anything smaller.

Posted by: Fred Trahan (---.br.br.cox.net)
Date: November 11, 2013 04:14PM

Hi Sanford, down here in South Louisiana, I have zero issues with the MW's either Spinning or Casting - and do get abused from the salt but hold up great!

Date: November 11, 2013 06:57PM

I'm sold!!
Sanford

Posted by: James Rice (---.hsd1.fl.comcast.net)
Date: November 12, 2013 10:48PM

I built a NOS 8-17 Shikari 7'6" with AT micro guides for inshore trout fishing and have brought in Reds, Jack and even a over sized snook. The guides are great for braid. I use 10 lb Power Pro and casts great. I never get many wind knots, always close the reel manually. I'm making another I like the guides that much. Like everything else they will be a test of time

Date: November 12, 2013 10:54PM

James,
Was it a spinning or casting rod you built?
Sanford

Date: November 12, 2013 10:57PM

James Rice Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I never get many wind knots,
> always close the reel manually.

This statement says "Spinning".

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster