I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

couple blank recommendations
Posted by: Roger Hoops (---.atw.dyn.suddenlink.net)
Date: November 05, 2013 04:53PM

I'm pretty certain I'm going to get into this rod building thing. I want to build a spinning rod for use with Pflueger Patriarch reel so obviously lightweight is a priority but technique is undecided. I have a 7' M/ML Fast I use now for dropshot/shakyhead/tubes/senkos (I hate spinning gear and only have 1) so I'm not sure if I want this spinning rod to be shorter 6'10" or longer 7'2"-7'6". I know I have really been liking longer casting rods and I don't seem to be losing accuracy as I pitch to cover when I am in range with both casting and spinning gear. I have been shopping dropshot blanks though thinking a good comfortable setup would encourage the technique more. However I also prefer throwing soft jerkbaits on spinning gear and that is also a technique I do not utilize enough. I typically run 10#-15# braid with 6-10# fluoro leader on an albright knot. Lures almost always end up in the 3/16-3/8 range

I have been looking at the:
HM MHX MB862,
HM MHX SJ872,
HM MHX DS822/8515,
batson RX8+ds822.5,
phenix UMBX-S706M-B,
phenix MX-S72M-B

Obviously I am ignoring the designation of casting/spinning thinking they can be built either way. Based strictly on line/lure/action ratings but I'm not sure I know what Mag taper vs spin jig really means...

The next rod I want to build is a magnum crankbait rod. I need a 7'6" - 7'10" enabling me to throw the 10XD crankbait rated at 1.92oz. It would be sweet to get a blank capable of throwing the smaller 6XD, Spro DD and even the BD7 (3/4-1oz). I currently throw the 6XD and BD7 on a dobyns 765CB glass and like the composite. These are thrown primarily on 12# fluorocarbon. If the rod is stout enough I might play around with an a-rig at times but it is not a primary concern. Blanks I have been looking at are:

MHX SWB956-Blend
Batson ISWB945
Phenix X13-B
Phenix MX-UR80MH-B
Phenix USB-711MH-B

I am not a phenix fan they just seem to have multiple blanks in multiple series with specs that fit what I am looking for. My concern with using a "swimbait" blank to get the required 2oz rating is it will not perform with 1oz lures very well. Considering I throw the 6xd way more than I'll ever throw the 10xd I am more concerned with performance at the lower lure weights but having the capability to go big on days that it is working. Do I need to be concerned with guide ring material with fluorocarbon? I was thinking minimas or alconites maybe micros, maybe microwave on the spinning rod...maybe another post for that. Thank you

JR

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: couple blank recommendations
Posted by: Russell Brunt (---.mia.bellsouth.net)
Date: November 05, 2013 05:49PM

I'm not a bass guy so I shouldn't answer. But one of these days I need to add some to my arsenal so I'm trying to read up a bit.

My choices would be the 822.5 (rx8+ or rx8 depending)...and would put st. croixs mlf's and mlxf's (5/4 series) on the short list too....but the ds822 is reported to be pretty good too.

Then the swb945.

Russ in Hollywood, FL.

Posted by: Jim Gamble (---.res.bhn.net)
Date: November 05, 2013 07:40PM

Seek the advice of a professional bass fisherman that owns a rod/blank company. Alex @ Hydra (sponsor on the left) is a great resource. US made blanks, advanced technology and very competitive pricing.

Posted by: Wes Weaver (---.washdc.fios.verizon.net)
Date: November 05, 2013 09:19PM

Jim Gamble Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Seek the advice of a professional bass fisherman
> that owns a rod/blank company. Alex @ Hydra
> (sponsor on the left) is a great resource. US
> made blanks, advanced technology and very
> competitive pricing.

x2

Posted by: Michael Danek (50.42.186.---)
Date: November 06, 2013 07:34AM

I think that whatever blank you choose, you'll find a way of fishing it and enjoying it. I'd stay in the 6 1/2 - 7 foot range as a "beginning" spin fisherman. I really dislike rods shorter than 6 1/2 and rods longer than 7 can be a pain for tip-down techniques. A good starting point is to select based mostly on lure weight becaues if you are not pretty close on that, the rod will not load properly on the cast.

I always recommend starting with a reasonably priced blank because your technique will progress fast in the first few rods, and if you put $125 into that first blank, I'll bet in a couple years you will be rebuilding it. Kits for the first builds are good, and you can get some very good qaulity reasonablly priced kits from Mudhole and other big suppliers.

Another reason to start at a lower rather than higher price point is that you may not yet have preferences between reel seat styles, sizes, uplocking vs downlocking, guide styles, and guide sizing and spacing. You WILL learn with every build.

Use this forum extensively, search for issues on it as they come up, and you may be able to avoid some of the errors most of us made when starting.

Posted by: bobby stout (147.58.99.---)
Date: November 06, 2013 10:22AM

I like using the Matrix 843 crankbait blanks small to med baits and i have aMHX CBO5 7'6 for the larger crank baits. I like the i have 3 of the MHX SJ783-MHX blanks built using the Micro wave guides.

I would suggest on the crank bait rods that you Spiral wrap them using FUJI concept layout. With the Sprial wrap you will have less wrist and hand fatigue when you are cranking all day with a large crank baits. However is Spiral wrap all of my casting rods. But that would be your choice.

Bobby Stout
Bloomburg, TX

Posted by: Donald R Campbell (---.lsanca.fios.verizon.net)
Date: November 10, 2013 11:05AM

Roger,

You would not be disappointed with the Rainshadow RX8 or RX8+ 822.5 blank. They are "killer" blanks. I have had all of my customer say how much they love that blank.

Don Campbell
don@sensorfishingrods.com

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster