I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

glow in the dark powder
Posted by: andi robb (---.phnx.qwest.net)
Date: November 03, 2013 09:04PM

Hi all
Looking to make some catfish rods with glow in the dark guide wraps. Does anyone have any suggestions as to what powder I can use to mix in with the epoxy.
Thanks for all replies
Andi Robb

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: glow in the dark powder
Posted by: Fred Cory (---.nc.res.rr.com)
Date: November 03, 2013 10:01PM

I have used for a glow powder from DO-IT molds for lure heads. It may be what you are looking for

Posted by: Steve Kolb (---.nwrknj.east.verizon.net)
Date: November 03, 2013 11:23PM

Try this from Janns Netcraft. I have mixed it into epoxy before with good results.

[www.jannsnetcraft.com]

Posted by: John Lentz (---.hfc.comcastbusiness.net)
Date: November 04, 2013 08:17AM

Try the powder from www.glowinc.com Many colors available. Very bright long lasting powder

John

Posted by: Jerry Poindexter (---.tx.res.rr.com)
Date: November 04, 2013 09:40AM

Several past posts have discussed this, here's one.
[rodbuilding.org]
Note Scott Parson's post mentioning the UV inhibitors in most resin finishes...glowinc.com even mentions it in their "medium compatibility"

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: November 04, 2013 11:44AM

Andi,
A few years ago, I did a swap of some equipment for a rod blank from a builder out west.
He was taking hollow fiberglass rods, and modifying them to put a battery and light in the butt of the rod.

I took one of these modified blanks and used it to make a really great rod that can be used for many types of night fishing - including cat fishing.

When I built the rod, I made the rubber butt cap attach to the screw on battery cap that causes connection to be made to the battery and light up the light.

The really nice thing about this setup is that in the dark and with a constant curve on the rod, there will be certain spots on the hollow blank that are illuminated.

But, if the load on the rod changes, as is the case with a biting fish, the internal lighting of the rod blank basically moves up and down the rod blank in concert with the changes in the rod bend.

As it turns out, this rod has become one of my favorite rods for many types of fishing including trolling - even during the daylight. I have also used it for Sturgeon fishing with great success.

I believe that the rod blanks came out of a company based in Ca. But, other that that, I have 0 information on the particular blank or other details. All that I can say, is that it makes a really great outstanding night fishing rod, as well as a great rod for other types fishing that need this particular power and action.

Be safe

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: November 04, 2013 11:47AM

An example of a current model internally lighted fiberglass rod:

[www.cabelas.com]

Posted by: chip burdick (---.57.130.174.dynamic.ip.windstream.net)
Date: November 11, 2013 07:01AM

I have used Glow inc powders for ice jigs and find this to last longer thank other powders or powder paints. I also use a black light to charge the lures as it lasts longer. Another thing about the black light. Have you thought about painting the tip fluorescent and using a black light to make it glow. Keeps the light down for fishing. I do this for bobber fishing spring crappie makes the bobber light up likes its lit.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster