I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

mooching rod
Posted by: Travis Fabrizi (199.58.147.---)
Date: October 30, 2013 09:36AM

HI
I am new to rod building.. I have a fenwick mooching rod blank can I build that into a spey rod?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: mooching rod
Posted by: Terry Turner (---.hsd1.or.comcast.net)
Date: October 30, 2013 11:01AM

So, a pretty generic question without a lot of info. Here's my suggestion:

Spey rods are designed to withstand both heavier line loads and rotational forces due to the casting stroke compared to regular overhead casting fly rods. I don't know the blank well you are considering but here is the research I would do:

Click on the Common Cents info site and read up on ERN, DBI and all the other aspects of measuring your blank. You can approximate the grain window of this blank and see where it might fall with respect to using spey lines. Most spey blank designers go through a pretty laborious process of measuring and testing the blanks with various loads to determine the grain window and taper for each blank. You may not have the facility to duplicate this but you can take some CCS measurements to help answer your question. My strong suggestion is that if you establish an upper end grain window for your blank that you leave yourself a healthy safety margin. If your fenwick blank is glass, it may be a little more forgiving in this regard but it all depends on the wall thickness and taper design.

After you establish a grain window, tape on a reel, some guides and test a few spey lines to see if it's something you want to move forward with. I built a 4/5 spey rod from a 12' center pin float blank. The rod performs pretty well and the customer seems to be happy with it but I did a lot of measuring as described above before I committed to build the rod on his blank (which he supplied for me)

As Tom would tell us, any rod blank will cast a fly line for some distance. Since your mooching rod was designed for trolling and mooching for salmon with a range of weights, it's hard to say how well it will cast a fly line or how it will feel to you when you build it.

Hope this helps but it's not a straightforward answer.

Terry

Posted by: Vic Cutter (---.olypen.com)
Date: October 30, 2013 03:33PM

Travis , I would recommend that you not build that Fenwick Mooching blank into a Spey rod. When Jim Green, Tim Grennan or Vic Cutter designed the Mooching blanks we did not design them for the stresses and strains of Spey casting nor were they designed to be used as any kind of fly rod. My experience tells me you would not be very happy with the performance of a mooching blank built into a Spey rod.

Posted by: Phil Erickson (---.dsl.pltn13.sbcglobal.net)
Date: October 30, 2013 04:36PM

Spey rods are very specifically designed and built for that purpose. Trying to adapt another blank designed for an ebtirely different type of fishing and casting can be a prescription for a major disappointment.

Date: October 30, 2013 06:45PM

Thanks for the info guys.. I am a Fenwick guy through and through.. I will build a mooching rod out of the fenwick and hang it on the wall. I will keep searching for any fenwick spey rods or blanks..
Thanks alot

Posted by: Paul Pipke (---.vf.shawcable.net)
Date: October 30, 2013 10:16PM

Travis, what model is your moocher?
I use a few of their old Fenglass 1262 and they are absolutely my favourite.
For me one of the most important attributes of a mooching rod ( the way we use them) is a long soft action, that way with 1oz weight the rod will have a nice full arch and you can see your herring pulling to escape attack from the salmon.
As the others have said this action would not be something I would want in a Spey rod.

Date: October 31, 2013 12:43AM

my blank is a 1441

Posted by: John E Powell (168.169.226.---)
Date: October 31, 2013 07:58AM

Travis, are you looking for another fiberglass 1441?

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster