I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Inner birch bark for grip?
Posted by: James campbell (---.wireless.telus.com)
Date: October 24, 2013 10:16PM

Hey folks. This is my first post. Finally gonna bite the bullet and strip the composite grip off my evotec Spey. I want to do a birch bark/burnt cork/laguna cork grip with the majority being the birch. Can the inner bark be used for the rings or just the papery layers . I have rings cut and drying for both. I can get a lot more for my effort with the inner cork like bark and it is sooo much easier to cut the rings out and looks pretty cool clamped up on all thread. The papery rings are maybe a 1/16th thick with a few a bit bigger. The inner bark rings are an 1/8th+ . Another question...glue for the papery rings. I can't get titebond III here where I live . Will epoxy work or should it be a wood glue? If so could you suggest a few names I can look out for. Thanks in advance!!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Inner birch bark for grip?
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: October 25, 2013 07:49AM

This is the article that started the birch bark grip craze. You should be able to find some answers here:

[www.rodbuilding.org]

Posted by: James campbell (---.wireless.telus.com)
Date: October 25, 2013 10:08PM

Thanks Tom. I have read this article previously. I think the problem with me understanding how the rings work was that the bark I had was very thin. Today I went out on a bark hunt and found some that was 1/8" and solid, not flakey like the first batch I found. Made a cutter(ground off hole saw). Worked great! I have about 6 sqf of the bark that is now drying. The only glue I could find was lepages waterproof wood glue. Will this be ok? My plan is to glue up 1-1/2" sections , ream each section to fit the rod , glue it and then shape. I obviously will need a tapered mandrel? How do I know what I need. The rod is a loop evotec 8 wt Spey 13-6".

Posted by: ray balmforth (---.lns9.cht.bigpond.net.au)
Date: October 26, 2013 05:39PM

G'day James

I have had a bit of a dabble with birch bark and worked out a few things that may help you.Firstly using a hole saw is the best way to cut out the rings i found.I make them 32mm
so you have them a bit oversized.I also do some at 35mm if making foregrips for KDPS hoods.There can be a bit of rough edges on the rings so better to be a bit oversized when
you clean them up.Also by using the hole saw you get a quarter inch centre hole so i then glue them up on a same size mandrell.After i have glued up a batch of rings i then bore
them out to around 16 or 19mm. Then insert a graphite arbour which has been bored out to 10mm and then glue up sections of birch,burl,cork and whatever else tickles your fancy
on the 10mm mandrell.Once dry i then turn them up on my lathe.You then ream the graphite arbour to suit your blank.Its a lot easier than trying to ream the birch and cuts down on
weight a bit.Hope this helps.I just wish that i could go for a walk and collect some birch your very lucky.

cheers

Ray Balmforth
Figtree
NSW
Australia

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster