I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

need spinning blanks help
Posted by: Chris Forslund (---.hsd1.ct.comcast.net)
Date: October 18, 2013 09:45AM

I am looking to build my first spinning rod. I have built a couple of casting rods so far. Right now I'm looking to put together a Bushido blank with Amtac Microwave guides for shaky head and wacky worm. should I look into a mag taper our spin jig? I will be using a 2500 spinning reel with 8# test and jig head s approx 1/8-3/16 oz. also can someone recommend handle length? the blanks I'm looking at are 7'2 range.
thanks in advance
CWF

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: need spinning blanks help
Posted by: Fred Trahan (---.br.br.cox.net)
Date: October 18, 2013 11:04AM

Both are very good options, as I have and use both with a 2500 series Shimao. IMO, if you're using open hook and not fishing cover the SJ is great, if you want to horse the fish outta the grass or cover the MB is a great rod. But really great for that application. Grip length about 8" will balance the rod great.

Posted by: Will Dea (---.dsl.sca.megapath.net)
Date: October 18, 2013 11:40AM

+1 what Fred said.

Spin jig may have slightly softer tip for bettery shaky head and wacky worm action.

7.5-8.5" split grip would be about right.

Posted by: Joe Vanfossen (140.103.43.---)
Date: October 18, 2013 12:33PM

Chris,

I'll echo the other comments, but I wouldn't overlook the drop shot line of blanks either. I use a Batson RX8+S823 (built casting) in those applications. The drop shot type blanks have a nice combination of a soft tip with a surprisingly stout butt section, and I find these types of blanks to be incredibly versatile. I probably wouldn't go for the MB unless fishing in and around heavy cover in this application, but the average size of my local fish and the cover situation in my local lakes don't warrant the need for a heavier rod. If I were to fish a trophy bass lake with gnarly cover, then a flipping stick or punch rod may be warranted for fishing a shaky head in order to get the fish to the boat.

As far as grip length, I prefer 9.75" from the reel stem on rods with that length. With an up-locking reel seat correlates to about an 8" rear grip, and with a down-locking seat correlates to about 8.75"-9" rear grip. This is the max butt grip I can handle without it getting in the way and my preference on 6'6" or longer rods, unless I want a significantly longer butt grip to tuck against my side. Depending on how you grip your rod, you may desire a longer or shorter butt grip. I always like to know if a grip length for a spinning rod is measured with an up-locking or down-locking seat, as that extra inch or so of threads between the reel and the grip on an up-locking seat can be enough to turn a great build into a build that is nearly useless because the butt is constantly in the way while fighting fish.

Joe

Posted by: Roger Templon (---.aoo.pa.atlanticbb.net)
Date: October 18, 2013 05:27PM

Chris

I have not fished a shakey head rig but I do a lot of wacky senko worm fishing for both smallmouth and largemouth in PA rivers and lakes. Most of my personal rods are built on 7' ML spin jig blanks and they work quite well for me. I recently put a 6'10" drop shot rod into the mix and and have not used it enough to like it or dislike it yet. I did notice that the drop shot rod casts quite well with a light lure but I am not sure I like the x-fast action when fighting a heavy smallie. I also have bought a couple of mag bass blanks to try but have not built them yet.

On my 7' rods i mostly use 8" rear grips. I built a 7' rod with a longer rear grip and ended up cutting about 2-3" off of the butt of the rod because it was always poking me in the breadbasket and snagging on my shirts or jackets( I fish while sitting in a boat ).

Rog

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster