I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Blank Selection and Specifications
Posted by: Michael Reimer (---.hsd1.fl.comcast.net)
Date: September 27, 2013 07:34AM

I am new to the forum and have been reading every single post for a few months now. My son and I are just getting into rod building for offshore trolling rods. I have to say I am very impressed with the sharing of information here. It is nice to see that guys would tell you how to do some techniques that in many other forums would be top-secret information. I have a few questions and would like to get some advice from the experts that contribute to this forum. The question is the basis of any rod and blank selection. I am not looking for a brand or model number. I am looking for more like specifications or characteristics of a top quality blank.

1. What material would you say is the best or highest quality for an offshore trolling rod 50-pound class?

2. Is there a difference from blanks made in the US versus blanks made offshore? What blanks seem to be the best quality from an offshore manufacturer?

3. I know for other purchases in my life the most expensive does not mean the best quality or selection. Is this the same with a rod blank?

4. What key features should I be looking for when selection a blank for the build? Warranty? Customer service? Quality? Backbone? Etc.

5. I have read multiple posts on the forum and am a little confused about the proper action on some of these blanks. Should I see bend all the way down the rod? Just the upper potion? Depends on the application?

Sorry for so many questions but there is so much to learn…………

Sincerely,

Mike

PS We look forward to meeting everyone at the Expo

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Blank Selection and Specifications
Posted by: Russell Brunt (165.214.14.---)
Date: September 27, 2013 10:25AM

You would think you are asking fairly basic and easy to answer questions. Well so much for thinking:)

1) As with many things, it isn't what it is made out as much as how well it is made.
2) You can buy high quality blanks from other places, like Japan. You can get good quality blanks made in China but you need someone to be over seeing things. In the end a "name you can trust" is your best assurance.
3) Somewhat. Quality and top notch, cutting edge materials, do cost. However a trolling rod typically isn't using the latest and greatest weight saving fibers and resins. I will say that if you think you are going to save money by building yourself stop right now.
4) Really that is a question only you can answer. Just give fair consideration to how long a rod lasts and how many other costs there are on a trip. You don't have to spend silly money but I wouldn't suggest cutting corners on such a rod.
5) It does depend on the application. It also depends on personal preference.

I suggest you begin by providing as much information as possible. Everything from fish targeted to where you will fish to size and type of boat to budget. Someone with local knowledge will suggest something.

IMHO one of the biggest advantages in building yourself is that you are free to pick any blank. Don't think that you must use a trolling blank to troll with.....or a bass blank to catch bass with.

For a 50# class trolling rod it is hard to go wrong with calstar and seeker in either E or S glass. Not to say there is anything wrong with several other names. I happen to troll with live bait blanks a lot (typically composite blanks). Probably wouldn't if I was after tuna rather than dolphin and sailfish. A lot will also depend on if you are fighting from a chair on a big boat or stand up fishing from a small boat.

Russ in Hollywood, FL.

Posted by: Robert A. Guist (---.dhcp.embarqhsd.net)
Date: September 27, 2013 06:24PM

Hello Mike.

I'm with Russ 100% if you do decide to build many questions need to be answered, and to get them answered you need to provide as much information as you can, usually the more info you put into a question the more accurate the answer can be.

Tight Wraps & Tighter Lines.

Bob,

New Bern, NC.

Date: September 27, 2013 07:02PM

Thank you both for the response. I am not looking to cut corners when I am building these rods. I want to use the best blank available not necessarily the most expensive in many cases. If the most expensive or a name brand is my best bet then thats OK too. I just don't want o put in all the work and find out I could have picked out better materials. Cost is not really the issue with me, I like quality of I am going to put my name on it.

Mike

PS Russ, I am in Boynton let me know if you ever stumble on any South Florida Rod Building events.

Posted by: Russell Brunt (---.mia.bellsouth.net)
Date: September 27, 2013 08:46PM

Boynton huh? Okay, so maybe I am one with "local knowledge" then. You still haven't answered the other questions. IMHO there is little to nothing in the local waters that I'd troll for, and want 50# class. I'd want 50# for swordfish but I wouldn't be trolling. I might want it for the islands....or way out in the gulfstream.....or something special like high speed wahoo trolling....but none of those are the "norm" for me. Otherwise, my mainstay for trolling in these waters tops out at 30# class....and I'd rather go lighter when I can!

My budget runs more towards boats well under 30 feet and I feel lucky when I can get a limit of dolphin in the upper teens these days. My current go to general purpose budget trolling outfit is a Batson/Rainshadow RCLB70ML paired with an Avet LX spooled with 30# P-line. The rclb series offer good value and are a versatile blank for our waters. IMHO best to learn on a budget friendly blank. Still it is a nice enough blank for you to enjoy it. I have ones in 15# to 30# class. 80% of the blank that the garfighter live bait blank is at about 50% of the price.

One reason I press for details....is that 50# class is a dividing point. You could be talking a stubby blank mounted in a unibutt with roller guides.....or you could be talking a 7' blank with ring guides and EVA/hypalon grips.....or you could be talking closer to a stand up type rod.

By all means do stick with a name brand. You just need to take the time to find out which names qualify. Frankly, you don't need the big money blanks for trolling. Sensitivity and weight are generally not the biggest concerns and that is what drives price. You can do the most to customize with the grips/reel seat. Next to the blank, I think the guides make the most difference in "fish fighting" ability. Looks don't catch fish ,or increase performance, but if you are paying for a custom rod it is the largest share of the price. You could build a rod in an afternoon if you go with EVA grips and all black guide wraps and no butt wrap.......or you could put 40 hours of labor into a truly intricate butt wrap (and only you can decide what your time is worth). I'm lazy so my rods are fugly:)

Good luck on rod building events:(

Russ in Hollywood, FL.

Date: September 27, 2013 09:16PM

Russ,

Yes we do swordfish, wahoo in San Salvador, Harbor Island etc. I also target blue marlin on occasion. We have landed tune in the 210 pound range. I have a 35 contender and go everywhere in the boat. My son is opening a high end tackle shop and wants to design the rods that he will stock in the shop. More the likely out source the builds.

That stinks no rod stuff in our area with so many fisherman and builders.

Mike

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster