I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Glue clean up?
Posted by: Arturo Zambarrano Jr. (---.hawaiiantel.net)
Date: September 21, 2013 04:50AM

What's the best chemical to use to clean up excess glue on rod blank?

Thanks in advance!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Glue clean up?
Posted by: Barry Thomas Sr (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: September 21, 2013 05:13AM

Try using the search box right above your post Set it for all dates

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: September 21, 2013 07:13AM

Rubbing alcohol in general. If you need something a little stronger than denatured alcohol will do the trick.

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: September 21, 2013 10:16AM

Normally, denatured alcohol will take care of epoxy if it has not cured.

But, if the epoxy has partially cured, then use Xylene.

But, if you use xylene, do it outside with the wind blowing cross wind, so you do not inhale any fumes. Very toxic to breathe.

Be safe

Posted by: Russell Brunt (---.mia.bellsouth.net)
Date: September 21, 2013 05:55PM

Agree with above....iso alcohol is strong enough. DNA can remove some finishes on blanks. Xylene is rather powerful and I'd need a real good reason to mess with it.

Best advice I can give is to cut down on the amount of clean up you will need to do. Masking tape, surgical gloves, type of epoxy used, even the order in which you do things can make a big difference. There are little tricks that you will learn in time....like wiping the glue off "before" you slide that next item all the way home. Plan your steps and pre-fit everything. I used to make a much bigger mess than I do now:)

Russ in Hollywood, FL.

Posted by: Randolph Ruwe (---.hsd1.wa.comcast.net)
Date: September 21, 2013 06:39PM

I would first try to do clean up with a dry paper towel, then if there is still residue, use DNA. On metal reel seats I will try DNA first and if still persistant, I take it outside and use acetone. I know I will get a bunch of feed back on that comment, but it has worked for me for over 40 years. I am not recommending that anyone do what I do, I am just saying what has worked well for me.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: September 21, 2013 07:34PM

before you glue any part up onto the blank
Dry fir make sure it fits well
Then blue painters tape the edges so any excess glue is not going onto any other parts or the one you are gluing on
I ream eva grips so they almost fit or slide to where they will sit
This way the glue is not pushed out from a tight fit i also put the painters tape on the blank where the grip will fit loosely so I can get the glue on the inside of the grip buy loading the glue onto the tape - Not the blank easier clean up Just pull the tape off with the excess glue
get cheep paper towels You us a lot after the part is in place to whip the glue of
then I soak the towels with Rubbing alcohol and clean any thing I need to

if the glue cures try your thumb nail They some times pop off any dry

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Dale Holmes (---.lns2.dav.bigpond.net.au)
Date: September 22, 2013 06:00AM

The three mentioned above are Rubbing Alcohol, Isopropyl Alcohol and Denatured Alcohol.
Could anyone please tell me which of these is the same as what is sold as Methylated Spirits in Australia?

Thanks

Dale
Hobart, TAS
Australia

Date: September 22, 2013 08:53AM

[www.sealanes.com.au]

denatured alcohol

Posted by: Jim Gamble (---.res.bhn.net)
Date: September 22, 2013 09:46AM

The strongest bond comes from the thinnest amount of glue. Make your surfaces fit snugly and then use very little adhesive. The primary criteria is to not have "dry spots". Beyond that, less is more. Do this and you will find MUCH less to clean up.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/22/2013 09:46AM by Jim Gamble.

Posted by: Barry Chapman (---.41.70.115.static.exetel.com.au)
Date: September 22, 2013 05:37PM

G'Day Dale DNA is sold in OZ as Metho

Regards Baz

Bundeena
NSW Australia

Posted by: Chester Kiekhafer (---.client.mchsi.com)
Date: September 22, 2013 06:01PM

Can someone explain to me in layman's terms what the difference is between Rubbing Alcohol, Isopropyl Alcohol and Denatured Alcohol?

Thanks

Chester

May your line be tight and your beverages be cold!

Date: September 22, 2013 06:15PM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster