I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Child's 5 foot rod build
Posted by: Tom Wewerka (---.bltmmd.fios.verizon.net)
Date: September 21, 2013 12:40PM

Been asked to make a 5 foot 1 or 2 piece rod for a little girl. It will have a Zebco type reel and is going to be in pink. Thinking that fiberglass would be most forgiving but I can't seem to find any. And not sure how well paint would hold up on glass. Any suggestions, or if anyone has done this I would appreciate your input. I have done quite a few on the CRB blanks but they are 5'6" and graphite. Probably could cut it down 3 inches and be Ok.?

Billy, I am going to need some Pink EVA too.

Tom

Bel Air, Md.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Child's 5 foot rod build
Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: September 21, 2013 02:13PM

here
[www.mudhole.com]

Or here
[www.mudhole.com]

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Randolph Ruwe (---.hsd1.wa.comcast.net)
Date: September 21, 2013 03:46PM

Tom, how old is the little girl? What is she going to be fishing for? When my daughters were 10 and 12 years old I made them each a 6' light spinning rod for 4-8# test line for crappie, perch and trout. S-glass. The youngest caught a 5# Brown Trout on hers the first time out and numerous pan fish and rainbows. A short rod is not necessarily better for kids. A rod a little longer is more forgiving.

Posted by: Robert A. Guist (---.dhcp.embarqhsd.net)
Date: September 21, 2013 04:27PM

Hello Tom.

Jann's has both solid @ 6', and Tubular Glass @ 5'for $12.29 and $11.29 respectively.

Solid: 261-250 6', Line Wt. 12-20, Butt:.385, Tip: 7. Tubular: 297-111, 5', Action: Slow Power: UL, Lure Wt. 1/16-3/16, Butt: .360, Tip: 5.

However Both are Painted Black.

MudHole has the Pink but they are 5'6' and made from IM6 and are $19.95.

IS561L-Pink, 5'6', Lint Wt. 2-4, Lure Wt. 1/16-1/4oz., Action: Fast, Power: L, Butt:.335, Tip: 5.

Hope this helps.
Tight Wraps

Bob,

New Bern, NC.

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: September 21, 2013 07:18PM

Tom,
My neighbor asked me for the same thing. However, she did not want to spend a lot of money.

I went over to the local "fleet farm" and picked up a pair of rods complete with reels - in fiberglass.
I paid $12.50 for each of the rod and reel combinations.

So, the neighbor lady was able to give rod and reels to her grand sons for $30. ( I pulled off the line that was on the reels and put on decent lighter line.) I also went through the new reels and cleaned them up and relubed them to get them to work much better.

Again, these rods were in the color that she wanted with matching reels in the same color with fiberglass blanks that are virtually unbreakable.

For most younger children, I just don't think that it makes any sense at all to build a rod for them, when a very nice appearing rod that will work just fine for them for such few dollars.

-----------------
But, when my grand daughters became teenagers I did make them some nice pink graphite rods, from the Mudhole blanks that worked very well for them. But they were old enough to take care of the rods, and not abuse them.

I think that there is a time and place for everything.

Good luck on any of your choices.

Posted by: Chuck Mills (---.mpls.qwest.net)
Date: September 21, 2013 08:19PM

bill boettcher Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> here
> [www.mudhole.com]
>
>
> Or here
> [www.mudhole.com]-
> Blanks

Right on! I've built 5 of the IS561L for my grandkids. They are great blanks! You don't need glass.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: September 21, 2013 08:24PM

If they are too long they can be trimmed to fit

Bill - willierods.com

Date: September 21, 2013 09:17PM

Thanks for the input guys. I too have built the IS561L for all seven of my grandchildren. This may sound like my customer is jumping the gun but the Little girl is eight months old !!! Actually I am making him two rods. One for when she is able to handle one (probably 4-5) and another very custom one on a white blank with purple EVA grips, 4in alum. spacer and a project X reel seat in purple, just like I made my 16 yr old granddaughter.

He saw my granddaughters in a show I had on display and wanted it too. Given his daughters age and my age I think he wanted to be sure to have it now to give her on her 16th birthday. By that time I would be over 82 and I guess he was worried that I wouldn't be making them then.? Me too !!

Bob I will look at those from Janns that might work.

Thanks again for ALL the responses

Tom

Bel Air, Md.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/21/2013 09:33PM by Tom Wewerka.

Posted by: chip burdick (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: September 22, 2013 07:34AM

Krylon paint holds up well. Scuff with scotch bright, Prime in white and then paint pink. One of my first rods was like this for my daughter. Still holding up nice even after banging on the car, rocks, trash cans and whatever she is next to,lol.

Posted by: Buzz Butters (---.dhcp.fdul.wi.charter.com)
Date: September 22, 2013 01:50PM

Tom, Go to Mud Hole and look at their new panfish series. There is a 5 foot glass 2 pc in there that is just what you are looking for. I have built 3 already. I didnt do the pink blank but I did the blank black, metallic pink wraps. Pink poka dot inlays in a black EVA grip, and painted a Zebco 33 spin cast reel in matching pink with a couple of coats of clear coat. they turned out great.

Buzz

Date: September 22, 2013 10:20PM

Buzz Butters Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Tom, Go to Mud Hole and look at their new panfish
> series. There is a 5 foot glass 2 pc in there that
> is just what you are looking for. I have built 3
> already. I didnt do the pink blank but I did the
> blank black, metallic pink wraps. Pink poka dot
> inlays in a black EVA grip, and painted a Zebco 33
> spin cast reel in matching pink with a couple of
> coats of clear coat. they turned out great.
>
> Buzz

Buzz That is exactly what I have been looking for. Don't know how I missed that at Mud Hole, I get a lot of blanks from them. What size blank did you use ? I even like the 4ft 6in for a little girl ! Your ideas on the Poka Dots and painting of the reel are great. Will suggest that to my customer! With the pink reel it might look good with a white reel seat and a pink and white grip?

Thank you

Tom

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster