I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

color preserver fade
Posted by: edward avery (192.95.59.---)
Date: September 17, 2013 09:18AM

I know if I do not use color preserve the thread will turn dark. but is it really just dark or more transparent? I would like a darker transparent look but want the thread to still retain the overall thread color. say I am using a medium blue. without color preserver will it turn dark blue, just dark, almost black ,or sort of transparent with a blue shade to it?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: color preserver fade
Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: September 17, 2013 09:31AM

It will be better if you do several short wraps on a piece of scrap blank to know how it will look And then to see how some colors fade

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Ron Schneider (---.jsbrcmta02.jnboar.lr.dh.suddenlink.net)
Date: September 17, 2013 10:45AM

You can see how it changes by wrapping and then wetting with DN Alcohol.
That will mimic the way it will look with finish.

Best wishes,
Ron Schneider
Schneider's Rod Shop
Mountain Home, Arkansas
[www.schneidersrods.com]
mtnron40@yahoo.com
870-424-3381

Posted by: Terry Turner (---.hsd1.or.comcast.net)
Date: September 17, 2013 10:51AM

It depends on the color of your blank. Without CP, the thread will be translucent and allow the color of the blank to show behind the thread. You can adjust this some by starting with a lighter colored thread, which retains a little more of the thread color. The darker the thread color, the closer you will get to the color of the blank under the thread.

With CP, the thread will be slightly darker than on the spool, but it will not be translucent at all and will be a solid color.

As suggested, you just need to try a few shades with your blank to see if this is the look you want.

Terry

Posted by: Donald Becker (---.hawaii.res.rr.com)
Date: September 17, 2013 03:41PM

You will get some interesting outcomes if you use a metallic underwrap and nylon overwrap.
For instance, orange nylon over copper metallic has a redish color in the shade and an orange color in the bright sun.

I suggest you put down some wide bands of metallic colors and then overwrap with bands of various colors of nylon.

Don

Don Becker

Posted by: Col Chaseling (101.175.205.---)
Date: September 18, 2013 01:38AM

Hi Edward,
You can also get some interesting results using madeira polyneon. You need to add a few bits of madeira thread to the finish mix. This will make the surface tension of the finish the same as madiera thread and prevents the fisheyes you would normally get when putting finish on madeira. The lighter colours will turn translucent while the darker ones remain unchanged. See my test from the past for an idea of what you will get.
[www.rodbuilding.org]
As has been said the colour of the blank will influence the colour obtained but the madeira polyneon 40 has a huge colour range with a lot of different colours possible using this technique.

ESFNEM Col
Port Kembla, NSW
Australia

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster