I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Magic Marble - 1 Technique - 2 Methods
Posted by: Jeremy Reed (205.204.248.---)
Date: September 13, 2013 09:10AM

I've had a couple questions about the Mad-Swirl technique, so I am just clarifying some of those questions.

The Mad-Swirl is a technique of painting with water and paint. This is accomplished by 2 methods, the Borax Method, and the Magic Marble Method.

(1) - The Borax Method requires more work. It requires a certain water temperature, certain borax mixture ratio, and water preparation. Then you also have to test your paints to make sure you have the right paints and that they disperse properly on the water. This can be a pain, and I spent a lot of time and more money than I wanted to messing around with this method..UNTIL I found Magic Marble Paint out of Germany. I included the borax method for those folks overseas who do not have access to Magic Marble yet, and for those that want to try to some paints that may be in their garage. Your material will still need to be prepped and primed.

(2) - Magic Marble method - just prep you material (grip/reel seat/reel/winding checks/ etc.) prime it, get a container, put water in it, and drip you paint. There is no water preparation in this method. It is super simple and all I use now. You'll still need to clear coat it for protection, but as far as creating the pattern, it doesn't get any easier than dripping paint on the water.

Also, for those with children and grandchildren, this stuff is fun for kids. You can dip about anything in it, such as Christmas Ornaments, sunglass frames, vases, iphone cases, etc. Almost anything can be dipped with proper preparation.

If you have any questions about the paint or the technique, just shoot me an email at ReedRods@gmail.com

Jeremy Reed
Reed Rods
www.reedrods.com
www.reedrods.com/shop

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Magic Marble - 1 Technique - 2 Methods
Posted by: Ken Finch (---.)
Date: September 13, 2013 10:33AM

A shame you have to write it up again after you have already written the article and had it published. People could just get the magazine and read it for themselves.

Posted by: Jeremy Reed (205.204.248.---)
Date: September 13, 2013 12:26PM

Ken -
I just wanted to clarify the methods. I've had a few questions after people have read the article, so I just wanted to clear some of that up. And I understand some of confussion. Most of my article covers the borax method, because it's a lot more to it. The Magic Marble section just took up a few paragraphs, and it seems like something is missing just because of how simple and straightforward it is, especially when you're comparing it to the borax method.

I spent a good chunk of money on the borax method testing different paints, buying aquarium heaters, and testing various top coats, so I was really surprised too when I found Magic Marble paint and the ease of use. Once I found the Magic Marble paint, I thought this technique really could have a place in rodbuilding. The borax works, and puts down some nice designs, but there is a lot of work to it, and getting it right. Plus I could only have 3 or so dips before I needed to change out the water, which required preparing the water again. The MM paint really makes it easy. I've dipped all sorts of things, not just rod building items. ATV parts, sunglasses, camera tripods, etc.

Posted by: Chuck Mills (---.grenergy.com)
Date: September 13, 2013 02:00PM

He's sponsoring this site so he has the right. I'm totally fine with it unless he starts with the Magic Marble Challenge. LOL

Happy Friday!

Posted by: Ken Finch (---.onlinehome-server.info)
Date: September 13, 2013 03:41PM

I didn't say he didn't have the right, I said it was a shame he had to repeat things he had already put in the article.

Posted by: Jeremy Reed (---.client.mchsi.com)
Date: September 13, 2013 10:15PM

We recently moved, so all of my rodbuilding items are packed up, except for the paint. Once I get set back up, I hope to have some videos posted that will show various rod components being dipped with MM paint. Also for those of you that have a significant other that is into arts and crafts, pick up an extra bottle or two to earn some brownie points. This was just introduced at the Vegas arts and crafts show in Vegas and was one of the items that is supposed to have a big impact in that area. Amazon approached the US distributor 3 times after seeing this at the show trying to carry the product. At this time, the distributor has chosen to keep it out of the wal-marts, amazons, etc. I am over the fishing/outdoors sales and retailers as we add them. This stuff has a lot of uses in making items camo. It's a very versatile product.

Posted by: Don Morse (---.dhcp.aldl.mi.charter.com)
Date: September 16, 2013 09:20AM

Chuck Mills Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> He's sponsoring this site so he has the right.
> I'm totally fine with it unless he starts with the
> Magic Marble Challenge. LOL
>
> Happy Friday!

Sounds like a great idea to me!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster