I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Pages: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3
Prepping Guides
Posted by: Jack Hise (---.up4.net)
Date: August 28, 2013 10:01AM

Has anybody come up with a surefire and quick way to prep guide feet. I hate this job! Been using a file and can do it but find it time consuming and tear up my fingernails. There has got to be a better way.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Prepping Guides
Posted by: mike thacker (---.sub-75-216-133.myvzw.com)
Date: August 28, 2013 10:21AM

Rodmaker Mag Volume 8 issue 1 has a nice article on guide prep.

Posted by: Billy Vivona (---.nycmny.fios.verizon.net)
Date: August 28, 2013 10:27AM

The best method I came up with was not grinding them at all.

Posted by: Terry Turner (---.hsd1.or.comcast.net)
Date: August 28, 2013 10:31AM

There have been several threads on this forum as well for guide prep.

Many builders like to use a vertical belt sander for this task, which works well. My preference has been to use an inexpensive 3 1/2" bench grinder from Harbor Freight, $40. Comes with an 80 grit wheel, a polishing fiber wheel, and also a hand grinder attachment that I don't use but works like a dremel. The polishing wheel is a nice add as you can take all the rough edges off your prep in one easy step. I like this tool as it's small, sits on the end of my bench and makes much quicker work of this task.

I've also found that when prepping guides that if you focus on the sides of the guide and less on the tip you get more of a rounded point on the end which ramps up the thread smoothly. Larger guides still need some work on the end to create a shallow angle and prevent the finish cracks at the end. If you check out the snake brand universal guides that need no prep, the ends are prepped this way and work really well.

An alternate method is to use a reinforced cut-off wheel on a dremel tool. This is what I used before moving to the bench grinder. All of the other hand methods work but take way too long for me.

Terry

Posted by: Don Morse (---.dhcp.aldl.mi.charter.com)
Date: August 28, 2013 10:41AM

I am with Billy on this one..... 95% of the time I just wrap them on. Every once in a while I have to take a piece of sandpaper to one.

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: August 28, 2013 11:20AM

A stationary belt sander is about the best thing for shaping them that you'll find. Use 110/120 to 150 grit. Coarser for larger guides where you need to remove more material and finer for smaller ones. And the old "unified" wheel, if you can still get them, makes polishing a 3 second per guide process. When I run out of unified wheels, I'll stop building rods.

Posted by: Terry Turner (---.hsd1.or.comcast.net)
Date: August 28, 2013 11:29AM

Karen at Bingham still has them on their site. Which reminds me, I need to order a couple. I use this on the polishing side of the 3" grinder mentioned above.

Terry

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: August 28, 2013 12:28PM

[www.rodbuilding.org]

I use a harbor freight 1X30 inch vertical sander with 100-150 grit paper.

I have made a few different guide holders out of machine screws with the heads of the screws ground flat, and a piece of rod blank. I cut the rod blank and the machine screw to a lenght where I can slip a guide on the machine screw, the rod blank on the screw, and a wing nut on the end that gets tight in about one turn. That way, there is no wasted time to get the guide on and off the fixture.

The fixture is only needed on smaller guides where the guides are really too small to hold with your fingers.

You can go to as small as machine screw as needed to accomodate any size guide.

As Mr. Kirkman suggested, tyically less than 3 seconds per guide to prep.

Be safe

Posted by: Randolph Ruwe (---.hsd1.wa.comcast.net)
Date: August 28, 2013 01:56PM

I use a Dremel tool and sanding disks. I used to use a belt sander, but I think it is too difficult to see exactly what you are doing. Whit the Dremel tool, I can sit to do the sanding and use light touches to make sure they are properly shaped.

Posted by: Phil Ewanicki (---.res.bhn.net)
Date: August 28, 2013 05:47PM

Are power tools really necessary to remove .0003 grains of material? A diamond hook hone and three passes should do the job.

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: August 28, 2013 06:08PM

Some guides require a good bit of material removal. I'd hate to have to do those with a hook hone.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/28/2013 07:02PM by Tom Kirkman.

Date: August 28, 2013 06:40PM

Phil, like anything else in rod building it is all a matter of personal preference and what works for you. I have tried them all and the Dremel works the best for me as well as being fast and precise.

Date: August 28, 2013 07:32PM

Randy,
Personal preference.
Exactly why I use the vertical belt sander and guide holding fixture. Easy and quick.

Be safe

Posted by: Sergiy Korniychuk (24.114.70.---)
Date: August 28, 2013 07:52PM

Dremel tool with smal sanding disc. Just prepped 11 casting guides yesterday, took about 5 minutes. Works great for me.

Posted by: Phil Ewanicki (---.res.bhn.net)
Date: August 28, 2013 08:54PM

Randolph: I have tried the Dremel with a fine reddish grinding stone. It cut into the guide foot way too fast for me. I hate to think what it would have done to a micro guide. My diamond dust hook hone will grind the edge off a tool steel file - but slowly. It's a fine grit.

Date: August 28, 2013 09:55PM

Phil, I don't use the stones, just the sanding disks. When one wears out they are easily replaced. The grinding stones are fine for coarse grinding of various objects. Personally I would not use them on guide feet. For some guide feet I might use a Cratex burr for doing the underside of some guides that will be wrapped at or near the tip of the rod. The red stones are not fine, by the way they are coarse. The green stones are much finer.

Posted by: Chris Beverley (---.syd.static-ipl.aapt.com.au)
Date: August 28, 2013 10:58PM

Little vertical belt sander makes very short work of it. I finish off with a quick polish on a uni wheel mounted in my drill press.

Posted by: Steve Hartzell (---.drdrcmta01.drdrla.by.dh.suddenlink.net)
Date: August 28, 2013 11:16PM

In my opinion if you use the Dremel you have to control two items, both the Dremel and the guide. I like the Harbor Freight 1x30 vertical sander because I only have to control the guide. I'm using a 180 or a 320 grit belt depending on the size of the guide being prepped. It's usually the 320. Quick and easy.

Steve Hartzell
Lake Conroe - Willis, Texas

Posted by: Chester Kiekhafer (---.client.mchsi.com)
Date: August 29, 2013 08:54AM

Where do you guys find the 1 x 32" 320 grit belts?

Thanks

Chester

May your line be tight and your beverages be cold!

Date: August 29, 2013 10:11AM

Do a search of the on line @#$%& houses.
There is one seller in Ohio that I use and he has excellent belts and paper.
Be safe

Pages: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster