I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Balance & Weight Control?
Posted by: Cameron Cholewa (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: August 27, 2013 11:47PM

So I'm working on this rod, and So far all ive done is get the handle set up. Eva Split grip with pac bay casting minima. Guide train will be micros because why not, and I love micros. Right now, without anything else other than the handle and reel seat the fulcrum is a few inches in front of the reel seat bare, and just head of it with a reel locked on. Now, my original idea with this build was to experiment with a new design. Since I almost always palm my caster reels, my idea was to take all the writing (rod specs, signature, etc.) that usually sits in front of the reel seat and put it in the bare spot made by the split grip. The idea was to get a two-fold outcome: remove all that junk so when I choke up on the reel my index finger will be resting on bare blank increasing vibration transmission and sensitivity. I was once told, if youre going to add weight, try to get it behind the reel seat (thats why I use the term 'weight control,' since the "idea" is to at least attempt to control or even utilize any additional weight). So the idea is to also try to balance the rod by moving the inscription to the rear split section and coating over it. Maybe even getting fancy and doing a marble design backdrop under the inscription- so that itll at least look cool even if it gets thrown off.

Any input on this idea will be helpful before I commit to anything.

Thanks,
Cameron

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Balance & Weight Control?
Posted by: Steve Gardner (---.nc.res.rr.com)
Date: August 28, 2013 06:23AM

Cameron;
Been doing that for several years now with great results.

Something else you might consider is to put your hook keeper back there as will.
You may not need to add any extra weight (such as the marbling) as the wight from epoxy, label, thread, and hooker keeper may suffice to achieve your desired end result.

Date: August 28, 2013 08:22AM

Cool, thanks!

What I was going to do was put on all the guides, get squared away and set with resin, then check how it is. Judging by where the fulcrum is now, I'll probably most definitely do the inscription in the split. Reason for the marbling was to make sure to add juuuust enough weight. I don't use hookkeepers a lot (no real good reason, I just don't) so maybe itll compensate. I was thinking about doing it the way a lab had me do back in Physics and set the object teetering where the fulcrum is to be then hang weights until it balances and match how much weight you added.

Thanks for the vote or confidence Steve!
Cam

Posted by: Chester Kiekhafer (---.client.mchsi.com)
Date: August 28, 2013 11:54AM

Cameron Cholewa Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Cool, thanks!
>
> What I was going to do was put on all the guides,
> get squared away and set with resin, then check
> how it is. Judging by where the fulcrum is now,
> I'll probably most definitely do the inscription
> in the split. Reason for the marbling was to make
> sure to add juuuust enough weight. I don't use
> hookkeepers a lot (no real good reason, I just
> don't) so maybe itll compensate. I was thinking
> about doing it the way a lab had me do back in
> Physics and set the object teetering where the
> fulcrum is to be then hang weights until it
> balances and match how much weight you added.
>
> Thanks for the vote or confidence Steve!
> Cam

Make sure you hang the additional weight in the location you plan on adding it or it won't balance when you done.

Posted by: Phil Ewanicki (---.res.bhn.net)
Date: August 28, 2013 05:53PM

I don't get it? You are going to "balance" a blank without reference to the weight of the reel or the weight being cast? Is this going to be a fishing rod or a fish pole?

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: August 28, 2013 07:36PM

Put your reel on the rod where you want it. Put on a nice light guide set and go fishing.

Keep any additional weight off the rod. Generally the weight of the reel will bring the rod into pretty good balance.

Be safe

Date: August 28, 2013 09:26PM

Of course Ive taken the reel into consideration. I even mentioned it in my original post...

Posted by: Joe Vanfossen (---.housing.res.kent.edu)
Date: August 29, 2013 01:00PM

Cam,

I like the way you are thinking. My only suggestion is rather than using epoxy (marbling) in the open area of the split to add weight, use something dense at the extreme butt of the blank. There is nothing wrong with adding it here if you choose to do so for aesthetics. In fact, it's the best place to add these sorts of things with minimal impact on the rod's performance. As you know from physics, the further you place the mass from the fulcrum, the more torque it will provide. Since the fulcrum is so close to the butt of the rod, the amount of torque quickly becomes less significant as the mass is added closer to the handle. Say you have a 6' rod with your casting reel 1' from the butt (5' of rod in front), it would take 1.25oz. at the extreme butt of the rod to balance 0.25oz. at the tip of the rod. If you were to use your epoxy, and say the center of your open area is 6" from the butt, you would need to add 2.5oz. to balance that same 0.25oz. on the tip of the rod.

Given the way your rod balances now, just in front of the seat with the reel on, I doubt the balance point will change much when you wrap and finish your micros. I can't imagine the finished product being too tip heavy to fish comfortably without added weight, unless you are wanting the rod to be slightly tip light as some prefer for worm/jig fishing. In this case, if you are using a rear grip that has a tenon for a butt cap, I would glue everything up and finish as desired, except for the butt cap. You shouldn't need a lot of added weight, and you will be able to get away with trimming the tenon after the fact and wrapping lead tape around the blank to get the balance you want, and finally glue the butt cap into place.

Joe

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster