I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Fuji NPS size 16 - Comfy or Not?
Posted by: Marc Morrone (---.dsl.airstreamcomm.net)
Date: August 27, 2013 06:45PM

Do you guys find the Fuji NPS 16 seat to be comfortable or not? Probably looking at an up locking build. I realize this is personal preference some, but wondering how you guys like them in general.

Thanks!

Re: Fuji NPS size 16 - Comfy or Not?
Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: August 27, 2013 06:59PM

I would suggest

For spinning The areo Seat for comfort

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: August 27, 2013 06:59PM

It's small for most hands. I find the 18 and 20 to be much more comfortable.

If you have the 10-3 issue of RodMaker, there is a complete article in it on handle ergonomics which explains the results of various military and industrial civilian studies pertaining to bio mechanical studies and the optimum sizes of things like tool handles, which is pretty much what a fishing rod handle is.

Posted by: Russell Brunt (---.mia.bellsouth.net)
Date: August 27, 2013 08:48PM

I'll agree with both of the above posts. I'll only add that power/line class of rod has a bearing. I could handle a size 16 on a fresh water UL but not on a heavier (spinning) rod.

Russ in Hollywood, FL.

Posted by: Randolph Ruwe (---.hsd1.wa.comcast.net)
Date: August 27, 2013 09:12PM

I would use a 16 on a rod for a person with small hands and as stated above a spinning rod for freshwater. It could even be used for a light rod for steelhead fishing if he set-up was right and it fit the customer.

Posted by: Terry Turner (---.hsd1.or.comcast.net)
Date: August 27, 2013 09:24PM

If it's a child's rod or one for a woman with small hands, a 16 is great. a 17 or 18 is a better fit for a normal man's hand, even on an ultralight rod.

Grip ergonomics is one area that custom builders can really improve on from the department store and even fly shop rods.

Terry

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---.war.clearwire-wmx.net)
Date: August 28, 2013 12:05AM

G Loomis, St Croix and other use a minimum of a 17mm reel seat on all their rods. I believe this is one reason their rods feel right from the start for many people. I bet that's the reason the large diameter Wiebe/Super Sticker have been in the line up for so long at G Loomis.

Posted by: Billy Vivona (---.nycmny.fios.verizon.net)
Date: August 28, 2013 07:42AM

I cut the NPS as short as I can and hand shape the grip to meet up with the oval shape of the seat, and to the contour of my hand. I prefer a large foregrip for my thumb to rest on, so I give it a triangular shape sloping from the seat up to about 1 1/8-1/4" OD. THe way I hold a spin reel the Aero seat is very uncomfortable, I split between my ring and middle finger and sometimes my pinky and ring. IMO, buy several sizes and types of seats and see what feels best for you, it'll probably cost you $30 but you'll be able to pick the best size/shape for you

Posted by: Bill Falconer (207.203.39.---)
Date: August 28, 2013 09:37AM

The size 16 NPS is definitely too small for me and I believe I have average size hands. My son - who is 9 - loves them. To their credit they are very compact for travel in a tube. But too small to be comfortable for all day use IMHO.

The size 20 NPS is the most comfortable factory seat I've ever used. You just have to get used to something that looks different. Kinda like split grips and no foregrip. It looks large but is very comfortable in use. The size 18 NPS is a close second in my opinion.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster