I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

microwave and bobber stops
Posted by: mike johnson (---.dhcp.unas.wa.charter.com)
Date: August 23, 2013 08:28AM

so i wanted to build a rod with the mw system, but it would be a bobber rod for steelhead, that means there will be a bobber stop that has to run through those small running guides , i dont think it will work. even with the smallest thread stop you can hear it running through the guides that are a little bit bigger then the microes. so can i use larger running guides? or just not use the microwave system?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: microwave and bobber stops
Posted by: Joe Vanfossen (140.103.37.---)
Date: August 23, 2013 08:55AM

Mike,

I have successfully passed nail knot bobber stops through 3mm running guides. Granted you have to be very careful about trimming the tags to get it to work. Just don't forget a small pair of scissors or a sharp knife. You would be surprised how much you can pass through those little guides, but you need to become wary of your knot size and tag ends. The smaller the guide, the better your knots need to be.

If you are uncomfortable with the smaller guides, then bump up to 5mm or 6mm running guides. You'll still have the benefit of the MW butt guide, and a little more forgiveness in the running guides. Being a steelhead rod, if you routinely fish in air temps under 20F, I would consider 6mm guides for the runners, particularly the PacBay Minimas to help with ice up issues.

Joe

Posted by: Lou Auret (204.16.161.---)
Date: August 23, 2013 08:56AM

Build to pass the tackle you fish with easily through the guides.
Always.
Small ringed guides and commercial bobber stops seldom translate to a good day on the water.

You are not going to get serious distance casting with a bobber anyway so you may be wanting something like COF or x27 etc.

You could go with the older 30/8 castaway MW and use 6 mm minima 4 fly style running guides, they pass my bobber stops(but i make my own so they may be smaller than yours).

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/23/2013 08:58AM by Lou Auret.

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: August 23, 2013 10:17AM

If using bobber stops, I never build a rod with running guides smaller than size 6.

Just because you can get a carefully trimmed stop through a size 3, does not mean that you should be using a size 3 for the rod.

Put guides on a rod that make sense and make your fishing easier, not more difficult.

Be safe

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: August 23, 2013 11:26AM

You can use larger running guides and still get the benefit of the Microwave butt and transition guide in getting the line under control quickly.

Posted by: Chuck Mills (---.grenergy.com)
Date: August 23, 2013 12:39PM

The microwave system guides are 5mm and will pass a stop.

Posted by: James Newsome (---.244.204.207.client.dyn.strong-sf33.as22781.net)
Date: August 23, 2013 12:59PM

Is 5mm the inside diameter of the ring? Or outside diameter?

Posted by: Joe Vanfossen (140.103.37.---)
Date: August 23, 2013 03:02PM

Roger,

The rods with 3mm running guides are built primarily for casting small jigs. Using a bobber stop on those rods was an afterthought, and showed me that it can be done when needed. Rods I build for regular use with slip floats typically get 5mm guides. The point I was going for is that, with care, smaller guides can be used that one would think.

James,

The 5mm measurement is the ID of the frame, and can be approximated reasonably well with an OD measurement of the insert.

Joe

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/23/2013 03:03PM by Joe Vanfossen.

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: August 23, 2013 03:32PM

If there is a ceramic ring inside, then the 5mm won't be the actual size of the opening, only the size of the frame holding the ring. This means the actual opening in the ceramic ring will be smaller by about 1mm to 1.5mm. Rings from different companies and of different type guides will vary in thickness so the only way to know for sure is to measure the opening, or try the rings with your set up.

Posted by: Chuck Mills (---.mpls.qwest.net)
Date: August 24, 2013 12:10AM

The ID is 3.2mm and should pass a thread stop no problem.

Posted by: Phil Ewanicki (---.res.bhn.net)
Date: August 24, 2013 10:33AM

Add to your list blood knots, triple surgeon's knots, huffnagle knots, nail knots, and slim beauty knots, all of which are commonly used to pursue fish weighing more than five pounds or so. Fashion is a stern mistress.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster