I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

3wt for NE freestone streams
Posted by: Jeff Bodnar (172.243.131.---)
Date: August 22, 2013 05:26PM

I am looking for suggestions for a blank for a 3wt 2pc rod to use in the freestone and limestone streams of PA. I would like to make it 8' or longer. Any suggestions

Re: 3wt for NE freestone streams
Posted by: Phil Erickson (---.dsl.pltn13.sbcglobal.net)
Date: August 22, 2013 06:49PM

Look at the Batson line of blanks (Sponsor on left), many options and price points. You also are not limited to 2 pcs, if you travel you will find multi piece a real boon.

Posted by: howard hodges (---.owb.bellsouth.net)
Date: August 22, 2013 09:53PM

Jeff, I just built a Batson 9 foot 3wt, 2 peice. Just love it! First time out I landed a 4 lb largemouth so it will handle a good fish. The blank was just alittle over $50.00. I got it at the show last year. Don't think you would go wrong with a Batson.

Posted by: Bill Hickey (---.nycap.res.rr.com)
Date: August 22, 2013 10:24PM

Lots of options, my main vote would go to CTS, bit expensive, but well worth the money. You might also want to look into Fiberglass, The CTS Quartz Glass blanks are very sweet, smooth loading rods. I fish glass quite a bit in NY on streams similar to your stuff in PA. If you choose a glass blank, I would recommend that you get an 8ft 4wt, use DT3 line on it, with the full flexing blank it will feel like a 3 wt, but have the ability to cast larger flies much easier and even a small trout will bend it into the grip. I think they handle very light tippets, 7x, much better than graphite.

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---.war.clearwire-wmx.net)
Date: August 23, 2013 12:00AM

The Angler's Workshop Chalkstream Light blanks make beautiful rods.

Posted by: Herb Ladenheim (---.lightspeed.wepbfl.sbcglobal.net)
Date: August 23, 2013 10:14PM

Jeff,
Of course I second Bill's choice of the CTS blank. Since CTS will produce any length, weight, # of pieces, and action you desire you have many choices. Since Bill is much more familiar with the type of fishing you will be doing I would defer to his suggestions.
Regards,
Herb
Distrib. CTS Fly Rod Blanks

Posted by: Drew Pollock (---.100-30-64.ftth.swbr.surewest.net)
Date: August 24, 2013 06:59PM

The real question is how much do you want to pay?

You can do everything from a Sage to a remaindered blank.

For almost no money, you can get a Pacific Bay Rainforest II which makes a fine rod and is a perfectly good blank for $49. It's 4 peice, nice action, looks good.

All the Batson blanks are nice, but the Rx8 would be too fast for a 3 weight.

On the other end of the scale is Sage or St Croix, who could set you up with any number of awesome blanks for $250-$300.

Drew

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: August 24, 2013 09:32PM

It also depends on how far you want to cast
Also how you like to cast i like a fast action tip flex but usually have to go one weight up so it casts the way I like it

If you like the Slow Type casting action a Mid or maybe a Mod action may be what you are looking for

The St Croix in a 9' SC IV would be nice

Bill - willierods.com

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 08/24/2013 09:35PM by bill boettcher.

Posted by: George Kerr (---.lightspeed.gnbonc.sbcglobal.net)
Date: August 25, 2013 12:07AM

How and where you will fish it should factor into your decision. I have an 11ft 3 wt that I built for euro Nymphing that has become my go to rod for small streams. A close friend has a 7 ft 3 wt that he uses as a finesse rod for dry flys.

Date: August 26, 2013 05:48AM

I had a Scott S4 until it was stolen. Great rod, I would like to build something comparable.

Date: August 26, 2013 05:06PM

While I was in AZ on assignment my house was robbed and I lost Scott S4 3wt, St Croix Bank Robber 7wt, Redington RS4 5wt, TFO Professional 5wt, LLBean 10wt, 2 Ugly Stik saltwater boat rods, 2 Ugly Stik surf bait rods, custom Rainshadow conventional surf rod (I built), AFAW Esturary, and a Tsunami Airwave. I am going to slowly replace these with rods that I build. I am going to start with 2 piece and work my way to 4 piece fly rods. I'm not confident enough finding and keeping the spline to make my 3wt a 4 piece rod. I figure my 5wt will be the first of those.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: August 26, 2013 05:34PM

Spline or - Spine
means nothing

Build on the Streightest Axces
Roll the blank on a flat surface If the tip or end goes up Mark that as the top of the blank When in the up possition

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Eugene Moore (---.dhcp.stls.mo.charter.com)
Date: August 26, 2013 05:50PM

Jeff,
I you can find the specs for the Scott S4 you might find a close replacement.
Key dimensions are length, butt dia, tip dia, weight and material.
Pour through the advertised specs to find the closest match.
Length, butt dia and weight are the biggies.

Good luck,
Gene

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster