I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Tight fitting EVA grip
Posted by: Bill Tune (---.hsd1.tn.comcast.net)
Date: August 22, 2013 11:02AM

I am replacing the grips on one of my older rods. I put the rear grip by slipping it on the blank from the bottom of the rod. I used my usual Rod Bond and after placing the grip wonder if it scraped too much of the rod bond off? I "buttered" the blank only since I did not want to have epoxy cover the entire handle area of the rod. The fit was "snug".

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Tight fitting EVA grip
Posted by: Andres Perez (---.coastalsystemsint.com)
Date: August 22, 2013 11:06AM

As long as the grip is not loose, you should be fine. Keep in mind that this is the rear grip. If it was the fore grip, you might have an issue. Also the grip will be held in place by the reel seat and butt cap. Therefore, you only need enough epoxy to prevent it from spinning.

Posted by: Billy Vivona (---.lightspeed.dybhfl.sbcglobal.net)
Date: August 22, 2013 11:48AM

If I instal a loose fitting Hypalon grip I will wrap electrical tape around it TIGHT. I assume the same whould work for EVA, just note you will have to sand it when you remove the tape because you'll probably deform the EVA a bit. Obviously I do this whil the adhesive is still "Wet"

Date: August 22, 2013 12:50PM

Thanks guys. By the way Billy they are grips I got from you at the show in NC a couple of years ago!
BT

Posted by: Col Chaseling (---.lnse2.ken.bigpond.net.au)
Date: August 22, 2013 06:30PM

Hi Bill.
Another fix for tight grips that push the adhesive down the blank is to coat both the blank and the inside of the grip with adhesive. Stop when you are about two inches short, lift the end of the grip and push the adhesive under the grip. Slide the grip into place then do the same at the other end. I use a plastic tupperware orange peeler to do this and have been doing it for a long time with no problems.

ESFNEM Col
Port Kembla, NSW
Australia

Posted by: Russell Brunt (---.mia.bellsouth.net)
Date: August 22, 2013 07:17PM

FWIW, in case it makes you feel better and all that.....I know guys in the past that put the eva grips on with no adhesive, just windex. Once the grip is frimly in place it is hard to move even without any adhesive.

As long as you don't feel "soft spots" I wouldn't worry about it. As said above, between the reel seat and the butt cap it isn't going anywhere.

Russ in Hollywood, FL.

Date: August 23, 2013 08:26AM

Bill, are ther einlays in the grips? If so you don't wnt to stretch them or the seams might open up.

Date: August 23, 2013 01:30PM

Billy, yes they are black with orange and white trim bands. I buttered the inside of the bottom grip and it went on easily. I was careful not to twist too much and had no problem at all. The front grip was a little more difficult as I did not want to put Rod Bond inside the grip before installing. I simply buttered a couple of inches below where the bottom would be and again no problem at all. I recessed it a bit into the reel seat and I don't think it will move at all. I really like these and will use them some more, probably become my standard! Easy to shape, easy to fit, look great and should last forever, what else do you need? Thank for you help guys!

Posted by: Steve Hartzell (---.drdrcmta01.drdrla.by.dh.suddenlink.net)
Date: August 23, 2013 02:18PM

Bill,

Would love to see some pictures.

Steve Hartzell
Lake Conroe - Willis, Texas

Date: August 23, 2013 04:06PM

Bill, was it the one on the bottom in this photo? [www.rodbuilding.org]

Date: August 23, 2013 07:21PM

No these were all just "bands" around the center of the grip, orange, white, orange maybe 1/16 inch each. I will try and post a picture when I get the bottom rubberized ring installed and trimmed.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster