I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Pages: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: razor blades for cutting tags, ect.
Posted by: Billy Vivona (---.nycmny.fios.verizon.net)
Date: August 21, 2013 02:42PM

I can just use the regular blades and sharpen them which takes less time than opening a foil package and putting the scalpel on the plastic handle.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Randolph Ruwe (---.hsd1.wa.comcast.net)
Date: August 21, 2013 03:28PM

Don't use a plastic handle, a good quality metal handle is much better, and it is easy to change blades if needed. Scalpel blades can also be sharpened. I have done it for years. To change blades all you need is a pair of forceps and a little knowledge/instruction.

Posted by: Scott Backholm (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: August 21, 2013 03:34PM

Damn Steve, and others, great idea! and my wife owns a salon and I never thought of doing that! I use a scalpel for pretty much everything else, it rocks!

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: August 21, 2013 06:09PM

Leave all of the razor blades on the shelf or in the box.
Rather, buy a Dr. Slick micro tipped fly tying scissors.

I bought one of these scissors about 10 years ago. I have built literally hundreds of rods and am still using the same pair of scissors. About every two years, I take about 20 seconds and sharpen the scissors.

I leave no nubs and with the scissors, there is 0 chance of nicking an adjacent thread, requiring a rewrap of the guide.

[www.flyfishusa.com]

The master rod builder that taught me, suggested the use of the Fly tying scissors. I took his advice and have not used a razor since.

Try one, and you will say good by to all of your razor blades forever.

Be safe

Posted by: Randolph Ruwe (---.hsd1.wa.comcast.net)
Date: August 21, 2013 06:23PM

Roger you echo what I said. I only use a scalpel to feather out the ends of a butt wrap. Scissors cut too straight and don't allow for a good transition in doing the tie off wraps in than instance.

Posted by: Bruce Tomaselli (---.altnpa.east.verizon.net)
Date: August 21, 2013 09:00PM

Billy Vivona Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I can just use the regular blades and sharpen them
> which takes less time than opening a foil package
> and putting the scalpel on the plastic handle.

Hi Billy. What do you use to sharpen your razor blades?

Posted by: Billy Vivona (64.25.27.---)
Date: August 21, 2013 09:20PM

fine arkansas stone, but 400 or 600 grit paper works but doesn't last too long. 5-10 passes on one side, same number on the other and ready to go. I do it dry, if you use the stone with oil obviously you might have contaminants enter your threadwork, I don't have that problem.

Posted by: Herb Ladenheim (---.lightspeed.wepbfl.sbcglobal.net)
Date: August 21, 2013 10:27PM

I don't use a blade of any sort. Start my pull through very early - cut my thread being pulled through very short with a sharp scissor - just a hint of tag-end showing.
Putt thumb pressure at the tag-end location and pull through. This keps the tag end form being pulled too far into wrap.
Tag end gets totally buried - no end to cut.
Herb

Posted by: Chester Kiekhafer (---.client.mchsi.com)
Date: August 22, 2013 07:29AM

Herb Ladenheim Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I don't use a blade of any sort. Start my pull
> through very early - cut my thread being pulled
> through very short with a sharp scissor - just a
> hint of tag-end showing.
> Putt thumb pressure at the tag-end location and
> pull through. This keps the tag end form being
> pulled too far into wrap.
> Tag end gets totally buried - no end to cut.
> Herb

I echo exactly with Herb has suggested and I have no issues. I also agree about the Dr. Slick scissors, they are great to use, but for Billy maybe to slow. He is fast and fun to watch him work his magic with the thread and blade. I do use a blade for decorative wraps (notice Billy I change from using the "butt" word).

Chester

May your line be tight and your beverages be cold!

Posted by: Herb Ladenheim (---.lightspeed.wepbfl.sbcglobal.net)
Date: August 23, 2013 11:55AM

The only time I do not use a scissor is when I have to cut a thread - generally metallic - coming out of the blank-end of the wrap. I use a fresh scalpel and just press it against the thread as close to the wrap as possible. The pressure of the scalpel against the blank pops the thread.
Herb

Pages: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster