I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Great Articles!
Posted by: Ken Finch (204.45.65.---)
Date: August 20, 2013 01:43PM

Kudos to Jeremy Reed and Nuno Paulino for two really great do it yourself articles in the new magazine. I will definitely be giving the "mad swirl" a try and Nuno's stencil painting thing won't be far behind. Really neat ideas and techniques guys. Thanks.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Great Articles!
Posted by: Don Morse (---.dhcp.aldl.mi.charter.com)
Date: August 20, 2013 02:57PM

Just got my issue... wow. Lots of new stuff to try.

Posted by: Jeremy Reed (205.204.248.---)
Date: August 20, 2013 03:18PM

Thank you. I will say that, with further testing, if you're going to use pour foam without a sleeve, use either thread finish or the epoxy sold by Riley rods for the top coat for added support. Auto clear will not offer any structural support. I had a 6lb foam ding up after significant use. My ones using epoxy are still going strong. I use primarily 8lb foam.

Also, do not limit this paint to grips. You can do a ton of parts, reel seats, reels, winding checks, etc. You can also do it over carbon fiber gribs, and use auto tape to expose the carbon fiber after Mad-swirling. I've got some in the process, but we are moving, so everything is on stand still and everything is now packed up.

Also, this can be used for arts and crafts, such as picture frames, etc. I am doing my daughter's plug-in faceplates. There are a lot of builders that are 100x more creative than I am so I'm looking forward to seeing how this new paint is incorporated into rod building.

On a side note, I have requested the Lab to UV test the product. This stuff just became available in the US, and I was having to bootleg it out of Canada when I was testing, and I was using bottles that were only half the size. I've been using it since December, so it is still in its infancy.

I'm hoping to have a booth set up at the expo for the paint and custom grips, but money and my work schedule will dictate whether I can make it or not.

Take care,

Jeremy Reed
Reed Rods

Edited 5 time(s). Last edit at 08/20/2013 06:25PM by Jeremy Reed.

Posted by: Bill Eshelman (---.lightspeed.bcvloh.sbcglobal.net)
Date: August 20, 2013 08:41PM

I received. My kit last week. It has a very short learning curve and is fun. I just finished doing a foam grip with no other finish. I applied TM lite and it should be OK after it cures. Next I am going to use it on a foam grip that has an elliptical which went bad. A great way to salvage grips.

Thanks to Jeremy for brining us this product.

Bill

Ohio Rod Builders

Canton, Ohio

Posted by: Jeremy Reed (---.mycingular.net)
Date: August 20, 2013 09:07PM

Bill Eshelman Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I received. My kit last week. It has a very short
> learning curve and is fun. I just finished doing
> a foam grip with no other finish. I applied TM
> lite and it should be OK after it cures. Next I am
> going to use it on a foam grip that has an
> elliptical which went bad. A great way to salvage
> grips.
>
> Thanks to Jeremy for brining us this product.
>
> Bill

Not a problem Mr. Eshelman. Hopefully your other stuff will be there by Wednesday; it shipped out Saturday. You also bring up a great aspect of this....covering up "Ah-oh"s. While I haven't gotten to test the durability on EVA, if finished properly, I don't see a problem with it for rear grips and butt grips. I'm not sure it would do well has a foregrip that bends a lot. Some of my best looking patterns went on EVA, but I just never got to use them.

It is a very short learning curve, and the main part is prep work. Also, if you don't like the way a Mad-Swirl went on, just re-prime it and re-dip. If it's cork, just fill in the pits, sand smooth, prime it and it's ready to be dipped.

The article covers the Borax method, too, and I included it for those they may want to try it with some paints they have in their garage. While it works, and you can see some rustoleum paint grips on my facebook page, and maybe in the magazine (I haven't got my copy yet, and not sure what pictures were used), the ease of use with Magic Marble is amazing when compared to the Borax method. Literally, you just drip the Magic Marble Paint on the water and dip. With the borax method you have to have a certain temp, certain borax ratio, etc. The borax will be useful though for those overseas that have trouble getting Magic Marble.

Hopefully, this catches on. Also, this paint can be used on outdoor products, Christmas Ornaments, Easter eggs, sunglasses, etc. If you want a swirl pattern, and have it prepped properly, this is your stuff.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 08/20/2013 09:22PM by Jeremy Reed.

Posted by: Bill Eshelman (---.lightspeed.bcvloh.sbcglobal.net)
Date: August 21, 2013 07:49PM

The package arrived today. Thanks.

Bill

Ohio Rod Builders

Canton, Ohio

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster