I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Tape, yay or nay?
Posted by: James Newsome (---.244.204.207.client.dyn.strong-sf33.as22781.net)
Date: August 19, 2013 11:17AM

Got a couple simple kids rods to build for a friend on a tight budget. Was going to use masking tape for arbors under the seats instead of the hard foam just to save him some $$$ and the kids won't care and will outgrow the rods in a couple years anyway. But before I use the masking tape, are there better tape alternatives when tape is used for this purpose?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Tape, yay or nay?
Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: August 19, 2013 11:30AM

The graphite arbors are easy to use Glue into the seat Then bore out to fit the blank

If a tight-er fit not much space 1/4" tape maybe just two Prep the blank well Will add some weight cause of more epoxy used Also prep the inside of the seat well

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Russell Brunt (165.214.14.---)
Date: August 19, 2013 11:30AM

Masking tape is fine. Been used for many years. Mesh drywall is certainly better but a little more work/mess.

Russ in Hollywood, FL.

Posted by: Don Morse (---.dhcp.aldl.mi.charter.com)
Date: August 19, 2013 12:56PM

Tape works great, just make sure to fully cover all sides of it with your epoxy to make sure no water will ever get to it.

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: August 19, 2013 01:46PM

James,
Tape is used all of the time, even on high end rods. Nothing at all wrong with its use. Just wrap bands of tape around the blank the desired thickness. Then, leave a slight gap between each rod of tape so that you can get a layer of epoxy all of the way to the blank, as well as on the ends of the tape. Thousands of rods are done this way every year, with 0 failures.

Be safe

Posted by: John Shear (---.sgi.com)
Date: August 19, 2013 03:25PM

James, thanks for asking the question. I'm a newbie and have been lurking here quite a while as I plan my first rod build. It will be a short, light action rod for vertical jigging crappie. I know making tape arbors is the commonly accepted practice, but I have been wondering why don't people use the polyurethane or graphite arbors since they seem so simple and straight-forward for fitting.

John

Posted by: Fred Cory (---.cisco.com)
Date: August 19, 2013 04:01PM

Graphite/foam arbors or Drywall mesh depending on the size.

Both work great and are more solid than tape.

Date: August 19, 2013 04:54PM

I always look at it as if I have to wrap 8 - 10 turns of tape on - Use an arbor
it will be a lot lighter

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Russell Brunt (---.mia.bellsouth.net)
Date: August 19, 2013 05:52PM

John, the graphite arbors are nice on all accounts. But masking tape is cheaper, you never have to worry about having the right size, your reel seat will always be perfectly centered, and you don't have to buy any special bits or reamers.

All that said, I almost always use graphite arbors.

Russ in Hollywood, FL.

Posted by: Randolph Ruwe (---.hsd1.wa.comcast.net)
Date: August 19, 2013 07:42PM

I would say X100 on what Russell said!! I have used both tape and arbors. To me there is no advantage to arbors, but many to tape, if it is done right. At one of the Rodcrafter seminars that I held with Dale Clemens, an elderly Gentleman, (just a little older than I am now) demonstrated his method of centering and adhering the reel seat to the blank. He used brown paper bags that he first measured to the blank, then as he wrapped them around the blank he coated with a thin slow cure epoxy. They turned into a great, rock solid arbor. Just about explosion proof. I have been using that method or tape ever since.

Posted by: Russell Brunt (---.mia.bellsouth.net)
Date: August 19, 2013 07:53PM

Randy, one advantage to the arbors is if you ever have to cut and spilt a reel seat off:)

Russ in Hollywood, FL.

Date: August 19, 2013 08:19PM

I have never had to do that with one of my rods, but I have cut a number of factory made reel seats off and the way they put the tape on was to just spiral wrap it and coat with some type of adhesive. I think that arbors would not be more difficult to remove, although I have never had to do it. Over the years I have been sent a number of them to test, and they work fine. I just prefer my methods.

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: August 19, 2013 10:11PM

The arbors are much, much faster to bore and install compared to winding on tape bushings. They are also lighter and more rigid which translates into several advantages.

However, I take it from the original post that tape is being used to cut costs, whatever that might be. In that instance paper masking tape will likely be okay although I'd also opt for the fiberglass drywall tape. Of course, it'll cost a few bucks more.

Posted by: Garry Thornton (24.114.85.---)
Date: August 20, 2013 09:22AM

I use drywall and masking tape because reaming graphite arbors produces a fine black dust that gets into everything.

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: August 20, 2013 11:27AM

Gary,
I use a separate building for doing any "dirty" work like sanding, reaming, or handle turning. Then, I use the high powered air compressor in this shop to blow everything off, before bringing the reamed, drilled, or sanded part back to the clean room for gluing and assembly. This way all of the sanding debris and dust stays out of the rod shop.

Sure, there are dust cleaners etc to help these areas, but they only do so much to avoid contaminating a clean room with dust and or dirt.

The nice thing about the separate building is that after the sanding or turning work is done, the building is swept, and then the doors are opened and the high powered air compressor blow gun nozzle is swept over everything, blowing any dust or remaining debris out the door - never to be seen again. This includes the floor and ceiling as well.

That way, the "dirty" room stays reasonably clean.

By the way, you made the comment about the "black" dust from the arbors. If you are using the black dense arbors for building rods, I might make the suggestion to pitch them and not go back to using them.
The white foam arbors are so much easier to work with and have plenty of strength to take care of any rod building needs.

[www.flexcoat.com]

By the way, when reaming these flex coat arbors, there is next to no dust or particles when working with them. They don't seem to ream with the fine dust that is common with the denser graphite arbors.
Be safe

Posted by: Terry Turner (---.hsd1.or.comcast.net)
Date: August 20, 2013 12:37PM

If you use tape, keep in mind a couple of key points:

1) always leave a gap to the rod between the tape arbors.

2)Make sure the epoxy fully fills these gaps and encloses the tape arbor on both sides. This does encase the tape arbor in epoxy and will ensure a much longer life.

If you only put epoxy on top of the tape arbor (the reel seat contacts the tape arbor with no contact directly to the blank) you depend on the weak adhesive of the tape as your bond to the blank. This is a recipe for failure. A really good rod builder and friend of mine started having returns come back for loose reel seats. He didn't do step #2 well, and every one of those rods came back for repair.

I personally only use drywall tape or foam arbors. This provides a very positive connection with the blank. Foam arbors are the best for light sensitive rods.

Terry

Date: August 20, 2013 03:24PM

Terry
Is correct I use tape ( depending on space )
But the holding power is between the inside of the seat and the Preped Blank I use the tape just to center the seat to the blank or a handle

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Forrest Peters (---.wi.res.rr.com)
Date: August 20, 2013 07:59PM

I would only use dry wall mesh tape. Better bond

Lone Wolf Rods
"Keep your powder dry and your lines wet"
God Bless

Date: August 20, 2013 08:50PM

Forrest, when you say it is a better bond, how do you know that? The tape does exactly what Bill said it only centers the reel seat. It is the epoxy at either end of the tape and on the blank that bonds the reel seat to the blank.

Posted by: Dane Newman (---.wehi.edu.au)
Date: August 20, 2013 09:38PM

My measure of the efficacy of the masking tape method is when I'm glueing on the ferrule for a 2-piece aluminum butt for an 80lb game rod. Never had a failure with two bands of tape and good epoxy and I've got rods that are 15 years and still going strong. Like Terry said, just make sure the tape is 100% encased in epoxy and smother everything - the more glue the better.

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster