I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Rod & Reel Ratings/Size vs Fish Species
Posted by: Steve Elliott (---.zoominternet.net)
Date: August 19, 2013 03:03PM

Back in 2007 there was an article in Outdoor Life titled ‘The Toughest Fish on Earth’.

You can find this article here: [www.outdoorlife.com]

This article ranked the toughest fighting fish in the world on a scale of 1 to 10.

At the top of the rankings were -

Tuna - 10
Marlin - 9.7
Tarpon - 9.5
Sturgeon - 9.5
Amberjack - 9.3
Niugini Bass - 9.2
Pirarucu - 9.0
Piraiba - 9.0
Giant Trevally - 8.9

Further down the rankings were -

King Salmon – 7.4
Striped Bass – 5.9
Muskie – 3.7
Smallmouth Bass – 1.6

When you start comparing the equipment used to hunt for all these fish, the average muskie fisherman seems to be so ‘over gunned’ as to defy logic.

60 pound tarpon are regularly caught using 3500 class reels and 20 lb mono with 7-1/2 foot MH 15-30 lb rods (often 3 piece).

Yet I’ve repeatedly been told by successful muskie hunters (i.e. many documented muskies of 40 + lb & 50 + inches) that I need to use 50 to 80 lb braid, a 5500 class reel and a 7 foot 1 piece rod that could haul in a good sized SUV to hunt these elusive toothy critters.

I don’t want to build rods that would end up being so underpowered that they would be inhumane to use, but I would call all the muskie rods I saw being used on the St. John River in Maine ‘broomsticks’ which had little to no casting/fishing ‘feel’ whatsoever. But I bet they all could set a hook in a concrete block!

If a 60 lb Tarpon is really that much ‘tougher’ than a 60 lb muskie, do I really need rods, reels and lines capable of taking Tuna to fish for muskie?

I assume that I am not seeing/understanding something in all of this. What might this be?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Rod & Reel Ratings/Size vs Fish Species
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: August 19, 2013 03:35PM

It's all very subjective. It also has to do with how you fish for them and where. While I can't imagine using more than 6 or maybe 8lb line to fish for bass (or even 20lb stripers) other guys I know feel they can't do the job without using 20+ pound braid. Of course, we fight the fish differently and sometimes fish in different places for them.

While I'd be the first to agree that many anglers do over-line for the fish and fishing they do, I think there's a lot more to line size and type than just the fish and typical size you expect to encounter.

Posted by: Phil Ewanicki (---.res.bhn.net)
Date: August 19, 2013 03:58PM

I suggest you go with the size the fish can attain rather than the species. The above list of "toughest fighting fish" certainly goes by size: (world record weight in pounds in parentheses):
bluefin tuna (1,496), black marlin (1,560), tarpon 286), king salmon (97), striped bass (81), Muskie (58), smallmouth bass (12) Conditions count too. You might land a 100 pound tuna on #20 line in open water, but you have little chance of pulling a 25 pound grouper out of a rocky reef on #20 line.
As for "toughness," I would put a 12 pound smallmouth bass up against a 12 pound member of those other species.

Posted by: Russell Brunt (---.mia.bellsouth.net)
Date: August 19, 2013 05:45PM

My kind of topic:)

Any discussion of line class/weight of fish caught has to factor in where and how the fish was caught as well as the species. Tarpon was mentioned and I can say I have fished for them in waters that range from brackish water canals to mangrove swamps to cuts/open ocean to the flats. You are kidding yourself if you think the same tackle is right for all locations.

In my area, we are blessed with moderate sized pelagic fish that fight in the top of the water column. As a result I can get away with much lighter line. If these very same fish would simply sound (dive deep) the game would be over. instead they run sideways, putting on an aerial show and failing to conserve energy. As long as you don't panic, have a good drag with lots of line, and a skilled boat handler, you can land some amazing fish on very light line classes.

Then you have the opposite, fish that are so structure orientated that you can't afford to let them take an inch of line once they get hooked up. The best you can do is hope to entice them at least a few feet from home before they inhale your offering. Even then you are feeling lucky to have landed a fish who's weight equals the line class of the tackle used.

So IMHO, the line and rod needed has less to do with the size of the fish than where and how you will catch this particular fish. Species is certainly a factor but I think conditions can often be a larger factor. Little point in me taking exception with that list. It is what it is and we all have opinions.

I have never caught a muskie but I do own a muskie rod. My impression is that it has a very strong tip and is a very stiff rod, but it isn't powerful relative to its rating. What I mean is that the 30-80# rated muskie rod I have isn't something I'd dream of thinking I could dead lift even the middle of its rating. On the other hand I have plently of other rods I wouldn't hesitate to dead lift at the top of their ratings.

Russ in Hollywood, FL.

Posted by: Eugene Moore (---.dhcp.stls.mo.charter.com)
Date: August 19, 2013 06:23PM

Steve,
I agree with Russ completely on this one. If the first move by the fish is for close cover you are in for a long unejoyable fight or a short empty struggle . The fish dictates terms in congested fishing conditions.

Gene

Posted by: Adam Curtis (---.static-ip.telepacific.net)
Date: August 19, 2013 06:54PM

To "play" a muskie may result in its death. They don't handle stress very well.

Posted by: Garry Thornton (24.114.85.---)
Date: August 20, 2013 09:11AM

As a Canadian musky hunter I would like to add these thoughts...
Twenty pound braid has the diameter of about 6 - 8 pound mono. In most cases you should chose braid by the diameter that your reel handles best. As a rule of thumb start with the diameter that one would normally use in mono. Think of the added line strength and reduced line twist etc. as a bonus.
I'm not sure what reels you are comparing, but a 5500 Abu C series reel is only 2 inches wide it's nominally a bass reel but it's often used by beginning musky guys.
You can land many musky using MH bass tackle and 1/2 ounce spinnerbaits however you need heavy rods and line to handle large baits, like Sledges etc.
Before braid most guys that I know used 20 pound mono or 35 pound dacron line, but braid has no stretch and any bait weighing over one ounce will snap 50 or 65 pound braid in-the-air if you throw a back-lash. Most guys I know use 80 pound braid, with has the diameter of 18 to 20 pound mono, for musky.
My favourite musky rods were G.Loomis and a St. Croix 7ft. 1 to 3 or 4 ounce rods, which would cast bucktails and large baits very nicely.
Most heavier musky rods are made to troll super-size baits, not to cast with.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster