I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

10-24kg Blank selection -Help please
Posted by: Douglas White (---.177.191.203.sta.onestream.net.au)
Date: August 13, 2013 03:41AM

Hi all

I've been asked to build a live bait/trolling rod for a friend to be used on a kayak and jetski. His requests have been 10-24kg 6'6.

Now I kayak fish myself but the heaviest stick I use is the LamiglasGTF841M 7'0" 15-30, which I believe to be more than enough for Spanish mackerel, long tail tuna, cobia and the like. So at this point a little unsure of the directionI should head in. As I cant see any of the blanks myself I'm going off paper stats and have chosen a few types. So any input as to which would be the better choice would be much appreciated.

Blanks as follows:
Lamiglas CGBT78-1MH 6'6" 20-40 ( Triflex )
Phenix Rods PHD660XH-B 6'6" 30-80 Fast (Black Diamond Hybrid )
Seeker Hercules Series GTS70H 7' 40-80
Seeker Live Bait Rod S665 6'6" 20(30)50 (Fast Action )

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: 10-24kg Blank selection -Help please
Posted by: Jay Lancaster (---.hsd1.sc.comcast.net)
Date: August 13, 2013 12:07PM

I have an AmTac 6' 20-50# live bait blank that I haven't built as yet. A 6.5' version is available and sounds right for what your friend wants. The blank I have is classic "live bait"...soft tip, but rated for 50# it shuts off fast and has a very strong butt. Seeker and Calstar would be on my list as well.

The American Tackle blank is in the ATX series and listed as B66MH. This blank is more economical than the Seeker & Calstar.

For the blank I have, I keep thinking of sailfish, white marlin, and large dorado...all trolling small ballyhoo or other dink baits.

Posted by: Russell Brunt (165.214.14.---)
Date: August 14, 2013 05:46PM

I'm surprised someone would want a blank that heavy for a kayak. I'd think he would be towed around before the drag evewr started to give.

I also have a 15-30# rated lamiglas and it is a very stout blank.

What Jay mentions is about the best you can do for the price. The others that come to mind aren't made in 6.5 feet.

Russ in Hollywood, FL.

Posted by: Robert A. Guist (---.dhcp.embarqhsd.net)
Date: August 14, 2013 07:17PM

Hello All.

I'm with you Russell, put 80# or even 50# on a big shark & he will pull you and your Kayak under for lunch!!!

15-30# is the most I would go if you could squeeeezzeee me into a kayak.

Go easy on the fries we don't like our sharks to get to fat.

Straight Wraps & Tight Lines.

Bob,

New Bern, NC.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster