I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

7' downrigger blank
Posted by: Mike Canavan (---.stny.res.rr.com)
Date: August 12, 2013 09:41PM

Looking for a 7' downrigger blank, similar to Okuma's Classic Pro (7'0, 8 - 20lb line, 3/4 - 4oz lure). A friend of mine trolls for 4 - 10lb lake trout and is looking for a rod with lively action, yet can handle these fish. Have heard good reviews of the MHX DR845, but not sure how it compares to the Okuma.

Thanks for any suggestions - very appreciated!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: 7' downrigger blank
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: August 13, 2013 12:18PM

I don't have any experience with the blanks you mention, but a lot of crankbait trolling with Seeker CLB702's and CBS706's. These are glass blanks with an outer wrap of carbon extending up about 1/2 to 2/3rds their length. This adds power to the butt (and allows a smaller diameter) while maintaining the soft, flexible glass tip.

Posted by: Mike Canavan (---.nys.biz.rr.com)
Date: August 13, 2013 04:11PM

Thanks Tom, I'll take a look at those.

Posted by: Tony Childs (---.sag.speednetllc.com)
Date: August 13, 2013 06:54PM

I have 200 plus downrigger rods fishing Lake Michigan from the last 5 years. The MHX is the absolute best blank I have used to date. It has a nice soft tip section that you can literally load until it touches the water. The bottom end has enough power to pull 30 pound kings up from 200 feet plus. Like I said, the tips are soft enough to see Lake Trout bites with the cannon ball dragging bottom. To compare them to the Classic Pros is like apples and oranges. The classic pros will be stiffer and I wouldn't load one until it touches the water without standing back. Right now on Lake Michigan we have a pretty diverse fishery. You can expect to catch a 2-8 pound Coho, 3-30lb king, and lake trout to 15 lbs and steelhead from 2-20lbs, all on the same trip. The MHX DR845 gets it done across the spectrum.

Posted by: Mike Canavan (---.stny.res.rr.com)
Date: August 13, 2013 09:00PM

Thanks very much Tony, appreciated. I wasn't sure if this MHX blank might be overkill (if there is such a thing!) on these smaller 4 - 8lb avg. Finger Lakes lakers or not, tough to judge when only viewing website specs. I'll be in touch with you soon, thanks again!

Posted by: Tony Childs (---.sag.speednetllc.com)
Date: August 14, 2013 01:25PM

Mike, my email has changed. It is eyefullsportfishing@gmail.com

Posted by: John E Powell (---.hfc.comcastbusiness.net)
Date: August 20, 2013 01:06PM

I would agree with Tony on the MHX DR845 for an all around rod, this would be my first choice. If you prefer something lighter, check out the various fiberglass, low modulus graphite, or blends in a 843 spinning blank with a mod to mod/fast action.

Posted by: Mike Canavan (---.nys.biz.rr.com)
Date: September 17, 2013 01:26PM

Thank you John, appreciated. I'm looking for a light & lively downrigger blank for Cayuga fish, 4 - 10lb lake trout mostly. Finally got my hands on a DR845, feels a bit heavy in the butt end, but does have a nice parabolic action.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster