I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
guide spacing
Posted by: Chris Terrill (---.direcway.com)
Date: August 12, 2013 01:11PM

I have a 14ft salmon/steelhead blank and looking to build a crappie rod. I am looking for guide spacing recomendations to give me a starting point. Any help on where to find would be a great help.

Thanks, Chris

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: guide spacing
Posted by: Randolph Ruwe (---.hsd1.wa.comcast.net)
Date: August 12, 2013 01:29PM

Sounds like this might be a noodle rod blank? What is the line/lure rating and who made it?

Date: August 12, 2013 02:59PM

it is a 14ft mhx blank, 1/4-5/8 , 4-8 lb Mod-fast

Date: August 12, 2013 03:21PM

The blank is designed for Centerpin fishing for steelhead. I don't know how you are planning to fish for crappie, but this blank may not be suitable for throwing 1/16 oz or even 1/8 oz crappie baits Might be ok for baits with a heavier sinker, like worms.

Date: August 12, 2013 03:34PM

Well, when looking for blank suggestions for this rod, people seemed to think this blank would work. Where are you guys at ? I'm not sure thats why I have been refering to this site.

Posted by: Robert A. Guist (---.dhcp.embarqhsd.net)
Date: August 12, 2013 04:03PM

Hello Chris.

Randy has been at this a long time and is absolutely right; the blank is a ST1682-MHX 14' 2pc. 4-8#, 1/4 - 5/8oz lure wt, M/L Power, Mod-Fast Action, .549 butt, 4.5 tip, and blank weight is about 3.75oz.

It's also listed as Center Pin, Flipping, and "DF" (can't find what DF means anyone else?).

Straight Wraps & Tight Lines.

Bob,

New Bern, NC.

Date: August 12, 2013 04:33PM

Tape a reel on it, have a tip top on it and go out and see if it will throw the jig, bait, or whatever it is you want to cast. While you are doing that you can get a good idea of where the guides should go and what size and where to place them.

Posted by: Ellis Mendiola (---.hsd1.tx.comcast.net)
Date: August 12, 2013 05:02PM

Will you cast your lures with this rod or just flip the bait into your target area? In our part of the state we use long rods like those in rod holders in the bow of our boats and slowly troll with the baits fanned out or if we find a likely spot we just dabble the bait in that area. No casting is really needed.

Posted by: Eugene Moore (---.dhcp.stls.mo.charter.com)
Date: August 12, 2013 05:19PM

Chris,
If you provide the distance from the tip to the reel and the desired number of guides I can give you a layout.

Gene

Date: August 12, 2013 05:21PM

exactly, no casting needed. This rod is needed for trolling and clear and/or shallow water

Date: August 12, 2013 05:34PM

Well, a good explanation makes giving advice much easier.

Posted by: Russell Brunt (---.mia.bellsouth.net)
Date: August 12, 2013 05:49PM

Mudhole has guide spacing info for that blank. I'm too lazy to type all 14 of them out for you.

Or give them a call, tell them what you want to do, and they will be happy to sell you a set of guides.

Russ in Hollywood, FL.

Posted by: Robert A. Guist (---.dhcp.embarqhsd.net)
Date: August 12, 2013 06:35PM

Hello Chris.

Russ has it, 5-5/8, 11-5/8, 17-7/8, 24-3/8, 31-1/4, 38-1/2, 46-1/8, 54, 62-3/8, 71-1/4, 80-3/8, 90-1/8, 102-1/2, 116, 131. Guide Kit #: 4SPDFS, Guide Sizes: 20-16-12-6-6-5-5-4-4-3-3-3-3-3-3-HK.

Well I'm worn out now, Good Luck.

Straight Wraps & Tight Lines.

Bob,

New Bern, NC.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: August 12, 2013 07:29PM

Do it nice
After the guides are on Static test Info on the Library Page

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: August 13, 2013 12:23AM

Chris,
Your choice of this rod for crappie fishing is right on.

I use several rods virtually the same as this one and they are by far my favorite rod for crappie fishing.

When ever I fish for crappies, I always use a
"rocket bobber" which is a relatively heavy bobber. I cast the jig with no further weight. When fishing, the rocket bobber lays on its side. When the lightest bite if felt, the bobber tips up alerting the person holding the rod that there is a fish at the end of the line. Lift the tip and continue to reel and the fish is in the boat or your hand.

The guide layout is right on and will work perfect for your particular situation.

If you have never used a rocket bobber for crappie fiishing; I suggest that you at least check one out. But remember, the bobber is designed to be fished with light jigs that allow the bobber to continue to lay on its side unles it is being used as a slip bobber. . The sensitivity of the bobber comes from it tipping up, as opposed to being pulled under the water.

[www.google.com]

[www.youtube.com]

[www.youtube.com]

[www.youtube.com]

Posted by: Mud Hole Custom Tackle (---.res.bhn.net)
Date: August 13, 2013 09:09AM

One idea - MHX just released actual Pan Fish & Crappie Blanks!! You might want change blanks to one of these verses using a Steel head blank, the MHX Pan & Crappie blanks are now online at:
[www.mudhole.com]

Regards.
Team Mud Hole Custom Tackle
Web: [www.mudhole.com]
Email: sales@mudhole.com
Toll Free Phone #: 1-866-790-RODS (7637)

Stay Connected with us:
FaceBook: [www.facebook.com]
YouTube: [www.youtube.com]
Instagram: [www.instagram.com]
Tik Tok: Tik Tok: [www.tiktok.com]
Twitter: @mudholetackle

Posted by: Jay Lancaster (---.hsd1.sc.comcast.net)
Date: August 13, 2013 11:08AM

Ellis Mendiola Wrote:

In our part
of the state we use long rods like those in rod
holders in the bow of our boats and slowly troll
with the baits fanned out or if we find a likely
spot we just dabble the bait in that area. No
casting is really needed.

My grandparents used to stay down on the St. John's River for months during the winter. They fished the blackwater for Crappie and would come home with a freezer full. Big ones too.

They had two, 3-rod holders on each side of the boat...a total of 12 "bream busters". Friends of ours would go fishing down there for a few days to a week and run up on them on the river. They said it looked like a spider sitting on the water with two old people floating on top of it! LoL. They probably haven't been down there in 10 years or more...both are still kicking, but running the boat alone is a thing of Papa's past. They both did love it, though.

Date: August 13, 2013 03:29PM

Here in WA State, I have never seen anyone troll for panfish. Every rod I have had ordered was ultra light for casting 1/16th oz jigs or worms. Yours sounds like an interesting method. What do you do when you run into a school of them?

Posted by: Ellis Mendiola (---.hsd1.tx.comcast.net)
Date: August 13, 2013 07:34PM

We normally fish still water, no rushing rivers or creeks. Just turn off the trolling motor and fish the spot. We call this method "strolling".

Date: August 14, 2013 07:09PM

Thanks for all of the input everyone. I will carry on with this blank and use the spacing recommendations given. Then do some testing before i start wrapping. I see some happy crappie fisherman in my future. Once again thanks !!!!

Chris - Rojos Custom Fishing LLC

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster