I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Pages: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3
Re: Aluminium Reel Seat
Posted by: James Newsome (---.244.204.207.client.dyn.strong-sf33.as22781.net)
Date: August 13, 2013 10:12AM

I know I have read the article but didn't remember that last paragraph shown here. It would point out that not all abravise cleaners are the same due to grit size plus that note about them being far and away superior to anything EXCEPT Scotchbrite. I will stick with the Scotchbrite to put my mind at ease.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Jay Lancaster (---.hsd1.sc.comcast.net)
Date: August 13, 2013 10:54AM

"To Me..."

The argument of Old Dutch Cleanser, Comet, or a Scotchbrite doesn't make much sense.

On one hand you have the "water break free" group saying the Scotchbrite is the way to go for deglossing the finish.

On the other hand you have the "get it clean" group saying Comet (or Old Dutch) is all you need to thoroughly clean the surface and that cleanliness is all you need for a proper bond.

I say it isn't a matter of "cleanliness" at all (although you do want the surface to be clean, obviously).

I think it boils down to obtaining the water break free surface. Does that mean I believe the Scotchbrite theory is the only correct one? Nope.

I actually think the two cleansers listed (Old Dutch and Comet) are abrasive enough to have the deglossing properties needed for proper bonding.

So, in reality, the "cleaning" is actually giving you the water break free surface you need for proper bonding...the same as you'd get with a Scotchbrite.

Plausible?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/13/2013 10:55AM by Jay Lancaster.

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: August 13, 2013 11:32AM

Yes and no. Read the entire article. This isn't a "theory," it's a fact borne out by scientific tests done to obtain the optimum surface preparation for critical applications. Not an observation nor "test" done by a rod builder, but by research teams working in the aerospace industry.

Ralph mentions that some abrasive cleaners are too abrasive and weaken the bond by cutting into the surface of the substrate too deeply. This is why he specifically mentioned the Old Dutch Cleanser. And in no case do any of them, including the Old Dutch Cleanser, work as well as Scotchbrite.

Now considering what a rod has to endure, I doubt either or any method described in the last few posts is going to get you into any practical trouble. But it is so easy to clean (alcohol), degloss (Scothbrite) and adhere, that doing it any other way seems to introduce additional time and trouble that aren't necessary and do not provide the absolute optimum condition that the aforementioned does. If you can obtain the optimum with less mess, work and trouble, why not? And if you want to use something other than Scotchbrite, you'd be best off by choosing Old Dutch Cleanser.

Date: August 13, 2013 12:02PM

Ha! So I was right! All without reading an article. LoL

I use a Scotchbrite...all is well.

Date: August 13, 2013 12:09PM

Doesn't quite sound like it to me from your above post, but if you're using cleaning, then using Scotchbrite to degloss, you're fine.

Sometimes folks worry about the residual scouring dust left from the deglossing procedure. Ralph stated that it doesn't hurt the adhesion of the epoxy and wiping it off actually reduces the static charge that the Scotchbrite created. However, some of the parts we use in rod building won't accept a static charge to begin with and since it's rarely important for the stresses rods undergo nothing is hurt by blowing the dust off, or brushing it off with a soft brush. If it bothers. Don't wipe it with a tack rag, however.

Posted by: Randolph Ruwe (---.hsd1.wa.comcast.net)
Date: August 13, 2013 12:42PM

I think there is some confusion here. The post was about reel seats. What I posted was about reel seats, not about blank prep!! I wouldn't use comet on a blank. Just the inside of the seat.

Date: August 13, 2013 12:54PM

The article was not specific to rod blanks.

If you have a "water-break-free" tool as outlined in an earlier issue of RodMaker, you can prep the inside of a reel seat in under 5 seconds.

Date: August 13, 2013 04:16PM

Yep...confusion.

Degloss...that's what I said...that what Tom said...that's really what you're doing by scouring with an abrasive cleaner.

(if what I stated came across any other way, it shouldn't have)

This post is like a tennis match...I'm just the ball boy running across the court.............

Date: August 13, 2013 04:56PM

Tom, yes it was specific to rod blanks!! In the second paragraph Ralph states that you don't have to worry about the metal parts, that they have already be taken care of by the manufacturer!! That nothing needs to be done with them!! Page 2. As far as the blank itself I use 400 grit wet/dry sand paper. Not Comet. Even though Ralph says nothing needs to be done with the reel seats. I clean them by the method I outlined. Ralph came to me to test every one of his products. I didn't go to him! Tested them for years. Ralph was at my house/shop at least once a week for about 5 or more years. I wasn't keeping count.

Posted by: Russell Brunt (---.mia.bellsouth.net)
Date: August 13, 2013 05:23PM

For those really interested you can read a good amount of the book "Handbook of aluminum bonding technology and data" on line.

Jay, I do think there needs to be a distinction between cleaning/scouring with an abrasive cleaner and chemically preparing a surface (why a particular cleaning agent was called for). For example, say you were going to coat something and you were advised to either sandblast or acid etch to prepare the surface. You wouldn't be viewing the acid as just a cleaner. The big problem with aluminum is an oxide layer so be sure to bond quickly after prep.

Page 77 in the referenced book has some info on the work that Beoing did using an akaline cleaner. On chapters discuss scotch brite.

Russ in Hollywood, FL.

Date: August 13, 2013 05:32PM

Some abrasive cleaners will do more than just degloss - that's why Ralph only recommended the Old Dutch and not any other.

For rod building the surface prep should be the same regardless of whether it's a rod blank or a reel seat. The important part is that you have that water-break-free surface condition. I suppose I should put up the other articles on this topic as well.

Posted by: Ken Finch (204.45.65.---)
Date: August 13, 2013 05:40PM

I'm a big fan of the KISS principle. Wet a rag or paper towel with alcohol, wad and shove it through the reel seat bore. Now it's clean. Using the WBF tool shown in RodMaker, spin it through the seat end to end, then pull it back end to end. You're done and have a perfect water break free surface. I can't do it in five seconds, but sure it doesn't take me longer than ten or fifteen. Simple, quick, cheap and effective.

Posted by: Dan Davis (37.0.124.---)
Date: August 13, 2013 05:53PM

Old habits die really hard. I have read all three of the articles on surface prep, both for blanks and reel seats, and have switched my method to what Ralph outlined. But try as I might the idea of not wiping the deglossed surface off with alcohol just tears me to no end. I know it is the right way to do it and no better than to mess with the surface after it has been deglossed but still cannot for life of me feel good until I wipe it again. Lately I just use a clean paper towel with no alcohol but I know you are not supposed to do even that. I need a twelve step program to help me get over this notion that the last step must be a wipe!

Date: August 13, 2013 05:55PM

everybody likes their method and that is good if it works, I like my method and it has worked for 43 years for me. :>)

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: August 13, 2013 05:59PM

Ken

i am with you

Wash Wipe dry Got a tuna rod i want to put a aluminum reel sear on
Scoff with a pad I like the red pads when gluing anything together
I was reading this post and ya were getting me Nervous
It is still the Keep It Simple Stupid yep simple still works well

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Russell Brunt (---.mia.bellsouth.net)
Date: August 13, 2013 06:16PM

Please do Tom. Given the number of posts there does seem to be interest. Not sure how it is for the fresh water guys but I'd wager all of us fishing salt water have seen aluminum reel seat bonding failures given enough time.

The few Boeing guys that I have had the pleasure of learning from have all been very special people. What a great place it must have been to work at in the 50's and 60's.

I strongly suspect it had to do with the PH of Old Dutch. Here is the MSDS sheet link.

[www.bme.mcgill.ca]

Russ in Hollywood, FL.

Date: August 13, 2013 06:48PM

Ralph indicated that it had to do with the size of the abrasive particles in the Old Dutch, but the PH could certainly have played a role as well. I'll ask him when I talk to him tomorrow.

Posted by: Steve Hartzell (---.hsd1.tx.comcast.net)
Date: August 13, 2013 07:38PM

What I thought would be a simple question has turned into a very interesting discussion. I have to say I've learned a lot. Mostly that that this is a great community of people who are passionate about what they do, either as a business or a hobby. For me, most days I can't wait to get home from the daily grind and go into my shop and work on the rods I'm building. Thanks for all the answers and discussion. Will we make 3 pages on this one?

Steve Hartzell
Lake Conroe - Willis, Texas

Date: August 13, 2013 08:14PM

Tom, when you talk to Ralph, tell him I said Hello!! Randy

Posted by: Col Chaseling (---.lnse1.ken.bigpond.net.au)
Date: August 14, 2013 05:04AM

About the only downer from attending this years Expo is that Ralph O'Quinn was too ill to attend. I was really looking forward to meeting him and hopefully be able to spend some time with him. I have really appreciated the articles he wrote for Rodmaker and he is definitely the epoxy "GURU" as well as a lot of other stuff he got into such as rod repair, the O'Quinn spiral etc.
I sincerly hope his health is better and enables him to do a bit.
A truly outstanding gent who has taught people heaps about the things he is passionate about, thankfully rodbuilding was one of them.

ESFNEM Col
Port Kembla, NSW
Australia

Pages: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster