I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Breast Cancer Awareness Butt Wrap help
Posted by: sandra lafferty (---.lightspeed.sntcca.sbcglobal.net)
Date: August 11, 2013 07:39PM

Hi all. My daughter-in-law has a family member that is dealing with breast cancer and she wants her new rod to h ave a pink theme. I am wondering if anyone has any thoughts on a butt wrap pattern that might produce the look of the *folded over* pink ribbon when viewed from the top on the butt wrap. Maybe some solid wraps around spaced appropriately then a chevron of some sort?? One more thing, I am building a crappie rod, so don't have much diameter to work with.

Thanks so much for any input.
Sandra

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Breast Cancer Awareness Butt Wrap help
Posted by: Randolph Ruwe (---.hsd1.wa.comcast.net)
Date: August 11, 2013 07:50PM

Do a single pink diamond wrap with no end wrap at the top end, just spiral it around the blank and back down. That should make it look like a pink ribbon. Use different colors of pink, maybe a light pink center with dark pink outlines and a little silver or gold accent.

Date: August 11, 2013 08:17PM

When making a wrap that spirals back down the blank, one tip is to not try to wrap too tightly. It will end up trying to slide down the blank especially on a small dia. blank. I would use metallic for the accent and would experiment with different colors that complement the wrap.

Date: August 11, 2013 08:42PM

I should have said that a pink multi-colored chevron would be just, if not more effective.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: August 11, 2013 09:15PM

this should help with colors

[search.yahoo.com]

Bill - willierods.com

Date: August 11, 2013 09:18PM

Good post Bill.

Date: August 11, 2013 09:22PM

Randy

i do good ( once in a while ) LOL

Bill - willierods.com

Date: August 11, 2013 09:28PM

Yes, You do!!

Posted by: Tom Wewerka (---.bltmmd.fios.verizon.net)
Date: August 11, 2013 10:29PM

Sandra this is a topic dear to my heart as I just recently lost my wife to breast cancer. In addition to the pink cheveron butt wrap I have another suggestion that you could use in addition to that. I just build two rods in this theme. Also in the guide wraps using bubble gum thread, I inlaid three single wraps of white in the middle of the wrap. It looked great. On the butt wrap using Randy's cheveron you can, on the tie down wrap, make it long enough to put a vinyl breast cancer bow on top of it, after you put epoxy on the thread. I got mine on line, looking up fingernail decals in vinyl. If you use regular decals they are not thick enough for the pink to stand out and the color will bleed through.

Hope this helps.

Tom
Bel Air, Maryland

Posted by: Chester Kiekhafer (---.client.mchsi.com)
Date: August 11, 2013 10:34PM

When I've done a chevron pattern starting at the 0 and 180 degree axis I think that the 90 and 270 degree axis has that ribbon effect going on. So maybe starting the chevron on the 90 and 270 degree axis is the effect you might be looking for when viewed from the top. Just my two pennies on the subject.

Chester

May your line be tight and your beverages be cold!

Date: August 11, 2013 10:38PM

i feel for you Tom

I have lost a father - sister and brother not much older then me to cancer

Does not give me anything nice to look forward to

make that rod Nice

Bill - willierods.com

Date: August 11, 2013 10:54PM

Good ideas Tom! I lost my Dad to cancer in 1984. I sat with him many nights until the end. I hope all of our ideas help to make a great rod.. I there are any questions about the wrap or colors, I am sure we would all be anxious to help.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/12/2013 02:55AM by Randolph Ruwe.

Posted by: Tom Wewerka (---.bltmmd.fios.verizon.net)
Date: August 12, 2013 12:46PM

Bill and Randy
My heart goes out to you guys as well. I was with her 24/7 for over a year and by the grace of God she passed peacefully in my arms. I will do anything I can to help prevent any other woman from going through this terrible disease. Breast cancer rods and breast cancer pens have been keeping me pretty busy.

Thanks to for all the great suggestions too as I watch this form everyday.

Tom

Posted by: Robert Metzger (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: August 12, 2013 02:01PM

That ribbon could also be easily done as a weave. With the small diameter rod lay the length of the ribbon parallel with the rod length rather than
perpendicular to the length.

Date: August 12, 2013 02:05PM

A crosswrap would look much nicer than a tiny weave.

Date: August 12, 2013 02:17PM

Decal Connection should be able to make up decals Any color you want

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: sandra lafferty (---.lightspeed.sntcca.sbcglobal.net)
Date: September 09, 2013 09:28PM

Thank you everyone. I got called away and am just back to getting this rod going. Great information and my heart is out to all of you who have dealt/are dealing with this horrible disease. I will do my best to make you proud and will keep you posted.

Sandra

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster