I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Extending a rod
Posted by: Glenn McMurrian (216.185.58.---)
Date: August 08, 2013 09:08PM

When it comes to extending a rod in length how much is to much in lengthening a rod.

Glenn McMurrian

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Extending a rod
Posted by: Mike Lawson (---.phlapa.east.verizon.net)
Date: August 08, 2013 09:24PM

I would think it depends on the original length, power and action of the rod. If a blank is short and parabolic you probably can't go too far without it bending down into the spliced area. It seems like you could get away with more if the starting place is more like a Hvy/F bass blank. What is it you have in mind?

Posted by: Col Chaseling (---.lnse1.ken.bigpond.net.au)
Date: August 08, 2013 09:32PM

HGlenn,
I extended a 5'6'' baitcaster blank out to 7'6'' without an issue. It uses aluminium tube for the extension and the overlap goes to the top of a 14 inch foregrip. It's now a very quick blank but works quite well for what I wanted. Read the article in the library on rod extension and that will help a lot. The type of blank has a lot to do with how long the extension is. If you start with a fast blank then you can go more than a moderate or slow blank. If the blank doesn't bend in the area of extension then you should be ok.
If it's possible then see if you can find a blank that is suitable for your needs. These days there is a huge number of various types and styles available.

ESFNEM Col
Port Kembla, NSW
Australia

Posted by: Glenn McMurrian (216.185.58.---)
Date: August 08, 2013 10:14PM

Mike Lawson Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I would think it depends on the original length,
> power and action of the rod. If a blank is short
> and parabolic you probably can't go too far
> without it bending down into the spliced area. It
> seems like you could get away with more if the
> starting place is more like a Hvy/F bass blank.
> What is it you have in mind?

Wanting to extending a 6.8 Med/Hvy bass blank to 9.6 to use as a salmon rod if possible

Glenn McMurrian

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: August 08, 2013 10:16PM

That's an extreme amount of extending. You should be able to find a suitable blank closer to your desired length. I'd go that route - it will almost surely give you better results.

Posted by: Randolph Ruwe (---.hsd1.wa.comcast.net)
Date: August 08, 2013 10:28PM

Why not just get the appropriate rod blank???

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: August 09, 2013 12:05AM

No limit.

There are folks in england that take 5 foot very very wimpy poles that they use for catching very tiny fish in their contests.
Then, they put these on the end of 40 foot extensions to be able to effectively fish from banks and get to the active fish.

Now, if you want to hold it in your hand or use it for a trolling rod; a more reasonable limit would be 1-2 feet. A common extension is 2-6 inches.

When you are extending a rod from the butt; there is really very little change in the real fish catching action so necessary on the tip.

The general thing that I say to customers who ask about extending that I like to keep the total extension to be less than the total length of the butt grip, reel seat and fore grip. That way, one can hide 100% of the extension in these rod parts.

So, do what you need to do.

Be safe

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 08/09/2013 12:08AM by roger wilson.

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---.war.clearwire-wmx.net)
Date: August 09, 2013 11:30AM

Lamiglas makes quite a few Mag Taper (MT) rod blanks for salmon and steelhead, than there are all the hotshot fast taper blanks in varied powers in 8 1/2 ft. lengths you could extend. The Lamiglas blanks go out the 10 ft. in length in the Certified Pro line.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: August 09, 2013 01:41PM

also here
[www.fishmhx.com]

Bill - willierods.com

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster