I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

FUJI announces expansion of KR Concept guide choices
Posted by: Jim Ising (---.dyn.centurytel.net)
Date: August 09, 2013 12:20PM

Fuji introduced an expanded selection of high-frame small-ring KL guides at ICAST that not only completes the selection, it expands the possibilities for many more applications. The KB "Belly Guide" is also now available in sizes up to 6 mm which opens up a world of options on all sorts of rods. Here is a press release for those interested:

Fuji’s expanded KL selection for the KR CONCEPT begins with the idea that just because you choose to take advantage of the performance boost offered by high-frame, small-ring KL-H guides you don’t necessarily need to commit to building a micro rod...if that sounds like big news for the thousands of rod makers who do not want to build a micro rod for one reason or another...it is.

FUJI has added seven new guide sizes to the KR Concept: an 8mm ring in two heights (8H and 8M), a 7mm ring in two heights (7M and 7L), a 6mm ring in two heights (6M and 6L) and the 5.5L, a new ”low” height (the original 5.5H is now designated as a 5.5M, please make a note). In addition, they have expanded the big footed KB ”belly” guide to include not only the original 4mm and 4.5mm sizes but a 5mm, 5.5mm and 6mm size.

There is no doubt that the new sizes open a whole new world for micro rod layout. But they do much more. Larger KB guides and lower size 6,7 and 8 KL guides move KR Concept to a point where the theory can be used not only on micro layouts, but also on more conventional layouts. In other words, it’s a chance to pull the very best performance enhancing aspects from the micro/braid KR CONCEPT and incorporate it into a more conventional layout.

So what are the possibilities?

With the introduction of the additional KL-H series sizes and the varying heights, reduction trains for many additional rod styles become available. Light surf rods, swim bait rods, longer crankbait rods, inshore saltwater rods and even ultra-light rods with bend characteristics that require more guides can all benefit from more choices in the KL selection. Fuji’s research is spot on; high-frame, small-ring guides bring exceptional performance to braided line, controlling and smoothing line flow better than any previous technology. Fuji’s expanded selection opens a new horizon for blending the latest technologies with more traditional guide sizes of the past.

What does a typical ”Crossover KR” look like? Let’s look at a 6’9” spinning rod using a 3000 Series reel casting 15 lb. braided line. KR Concept would call for a size 20 KL-H stripper probably followed by size KL12H, a KL5.5H, a KB4 ”belly” guide and KT4 runners...a great ”micro” spinner.

But suppose your a fan of #40 fluorocarbon shock leader for sight fishing bull reds in shallow water on light tackle. A size 4.5 running guide simply might not work in this application. Fuji’s expansion of the KL-H selection now allows running trains up to 6.0mm. It also includes the very strong KB belly guides for such layouts. Ultimately, the new choices add flexibility to a broad range of inshore saltwater rods (and many other rods for that matter) while still capitalizing on the proven advantages of small ring strippers in the reduction train. The above rod, for example, would still start with a KL20H stripper, then a KL12H. The next guide however, would likely be a KL7M followed by a KB6 and KT6 runners to the top. A perfect blend of old and new that would outperform traditional builds but still offer running guides in a size that many anglers would find ”more suitable” for a specific style of fishing.

As is often the case, Fuji innovations are more far reaching than it would appear on the surface and the expansion of the KL-H selection is no exception. Having the ability to lengthen the reduction train to four guides and/or use larger running guides allows custom builders to ”ease” into layout changes that are easier for customers to accept while still offering better overall performance in the package. If your customers aren’t ready for a total micro ”makeover”, Fuji’s expansion of the KR Concept guide selection might be just the thing you’ve been looking for.

For further information email info@anglersresource.net or call 1-251-943-4491.

[www.rodbuilding.org]

[www.rodbuilding.org]

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: FUJI announces expansion of KR Concept guide choices
Posted by: Phil Ewanicki (---.res.bhn.net)
Date: August 09, 2013 02:27PM

Fuji's research indicates that moderation rather than extremism in guide size selection is necessary for performance and dealing with changing conditions. Who could have guessed it?

Date: August 09, 2013 03:30PM

The pendulum is always swinging, eh Phil? Fuji seems to be ultra conservative about these things. The KR was called a "braid" theory rather than a full on micro rod concept and even as they were outlining "braid" layouts they never recommended anything smaller than a 4. Seems like we're going to wind up in a pretty good place though. We'll have the benefits of lighter more responsive rods without needing a magnifying glass to run the line through the guides. "To each his own" has never cut a wider swath than it does these days.

Posted by: James Newsome (---.244.204.207.client.dyn.strong-sf33.as22781.net)
Date: August 09, 2013 04:24PM

I think any time you set up for absolute best performance for any one thing you end up with a rod that has a very narrow performance window. It you know exactly what you want and plan to use that rod in a very performance range, so be it. But sometimes you need a rod that can perform well in a wider range of situations. Just depends on how specialized you want to get.

Posted by: Michael Danek (50.33.208.---)
Date: August 10, 2013 06:49PM

I'm on board, Jim, so much so I just bought reduction guides from Fuji and running guides elsewhere to accomplish just what you're talking about, the KR concept with small fly guides as running guides rather than micros. For many rods the ultimate in casting distance just doesn't matter. But passing a knot does.

Date: August 10, 2013 06:49PM

I'm on board, Jim, so much so I just bought reduction guides from Fuji and running guides elsewhere to accomplish just what you're talking about, the KR concept with small fly guides as running guides rather than micros. For many rods the ultimate in casting distance just doesn't matter. But passing a knot does.

Date: August 11, 2013 06:02PM

Thanks Michael. I'll be working on some "Crossover KR's" for some of the bull reds that pass the mouth of Mobile Bay during the fall. It's sight fishing schools so you can go light but you still need some husky fluoro leader to get the job done.

We are building additional KR rods for Bernie Schultz, our B.A.S.S. ELITE pro and he has specifically requested larger running guides (size 6). He says he just more comfortable and more confident in the larger rings. Most here would agree that his preference may be unfounded but I think more anglers than we realize fall into that category. BTW he just placed 6th in the ELITE tournament on the St Lawrence River today.

Not sure you'll give up much distance, Michael. Most of the smoothing action that speeds line flow is in the reduction train I believe. You will give back a little weight with large guides however.

Glad Fuji read your mind!

Date: August 11, 2013 09:40PM

I noticed on my recent build of a 7 foot spinning rod with just two reduction guides, 20 - 10 then micros to the tip that with 8 pound flouro there is little line "activity" after the size 10 guide. I haven't compared distance with other rods with the same reel and line, but it seems to me to be doing very well for distance. I'm pleased with all aspects of the setup.

Posted by: Ben Rogers (204.45.65.---)
Date: August 13, 2013 02:43PM

Jim,

When are these guides going to be available in the USA from distributors?

Date: August 14, 2013 10:46AM

Ben: Check Merrick and Mudhole

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster