I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

New ultralight spinning rod
Posted by: Rick Van Clief (---.tampfl.dsl-w.verizon.net)
Date: July 26, 2013 09:44PM

Good evening everyone. This will be my first post here, although I have been using this forum for study and research as I lurk. There's a lot of good stuff here for sure.

The new rod will be 5'-3" made with a Batson SPG-601 blank extended by 3" and will have an 8" Tennessee style grip. The reel will be a Mitchell 308. I have familiarized myself with the New Guide Concept System (RMM V10 #4) found in the library and have a pretty good idea of what is going one with placing and sizing the guides.

I remain unsure in one area however. I've seen positive reviews and endorsements of the Pac Bay Minima M-style guides and will use them. The question is, are these guides used for the whole rod or just the 2 (in my case, I think) reduction guides? If just for the reduction guides which quides would I use for the running guides and choking guide? The NGCS says these running guides should have eyes close to the blank which the M-style guides don't appear to have.

Thank you for putting up with a beginner question and for whatever comments you may have. Feel free to offer advice, etc. as well.

Thanks.

Rick

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: New ultralight spinning rod
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: July 26, 2013 10:17PM

Use the high frame spinning guides for the butt and transition/reduction guides, and low frame fly or casting guides for the running guides.

Posted by: chris short (101.173.213.---)
Date: July 27, 2013 06:11AM

Minima have a fly guide / micro guide txf3xg these could work

Posted by: Rick Van Clief (---.tampfl.dsl-w.verizon.net)
Date: July 27, 2013 01:42PM

I went with PacBay XM4XG for the two transition guides, XF4XG for the runing guides, sized and locate per NCGS. The tip top will be a XFM4XT. Thank you for your help.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster