I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Fitting eva grips to kdps front grip
Posted by: Josh Schleusener (---.lns3.woo.bigpond.net.au)
Date: July 25, 2013 03:34AM

Hey guys, having only built a couple of bass rods for personal use
and only used premade moulded eva, im at the point where i want to try shaping my own eva grips.
Trouble being i want to put a foregrip on the fuji kskts casting seat with the kdps style front.
Has anybody bored out eva with a spade bit or similar (20mm or close to that i believe) wats the best/easiest way to do this??
Cheers.. Josh

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Fitting eva grips to kdps front grip
Posted by: Billy Vivona (---.nycmny.fios.verizon.net)
Date: July 25, 2013 05:44AM

spade won't work, you need to but a 3/4" ID EVA grip and ream it with a power reamer. If you want to go the bit route how will you keep the hole centered? Finding a brad poont bit larger than 1/2" is difficult, but you can use a Forstner or an Irwin Speedbore. YOu need to bore the grip to fit on the KDPS seat first, then you need a seperate piece which will fit slightly snug on the blank - and then glue them together on the actual rod. If you do not you'll end up with a hole too large and won't fit the blank, an off center hole. I think if you use a Forstner bit and stop it at a certain point (before it goes all the way threough, you can get that to work. YOu need 2 different size holes on the same grip when using the KDPS

Posted by: Josh Schleusener (---.lns3.woo.bigpond.net.au)
Date: July 25, 2013 06:15AM

Thanks for the advice, yeah i understand the smaller i.d needed to fit to blank size at the front of the grip. I have found the flexcoat borer spade bits and mite try to fashion something like this on a normal spade bit, with a piece of round metal material/ tube that is the same size as the i.d of the eva and hope that the point of the spade bit can follow this in to the eva while drilling. Anybody used these borer spade bits?

Posted by: Billy Vivona (---.nycmny.fios.verizon.net)
Date: July 25, 2013 07:20AM

I do not know how those work on EVA, I never tried. I know a regular Spade bit used teh way it was intended bounced all over teh place in EVA.

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: July 25, 2013 07:22AM

The reverse spade bits from Flex Coat (they center in the bore and cut from the opposite side) will work fairly well on EVA. Not as well as they do on cork, of course, as EVA will tend to stretch and move. So you move up a size or two and end up with the desired bore size, which will be a little smaller than the bit used.

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: July 25, 2013 11:53AM

Josh,
Any time that I do boring, in any kind of grip material; I use a tapered circular files in a power drill running backwards.

I have many different sized circular files and it is easy to use these files to enlarge the bore of grips to the correct size. By running the drill backwards, the file does not catch in the grip material. Simply hold the grip in one hand and use the appropriate sized file to enlarge the hole as needed. If you need to enlarge it more; then go to the next larger sized file.

The advantage of using the file is that you buy one set of files and never have to buy another set, never have to sharpen the files and never have to replace the files. They just simply continue to work.

I cut off the triangular handle and either chuck the file into the drill, or if too large, turn the end of the file down using a grinder to reduce the size of the file to the size needed to fit into the drill being used. I find that it is much easier to use a hand drill rather than a drill press.l With a variable speed, one can start the file at 0 rpm, and gradually speed up the drill as needed to get up to cutting rpm.

I always wear a cloth glove on the hand holding the grip. As I do the reaming with the file, I let the grip slip a bit from time to time rotating the grip slowly. This slow rotation, keeps the hole centered as one reams out the inner hole.

Generally a reaming job takes a few seconds and then move on to the next job.

Be safe

Posted by: Donald R Campbell (---.lsanca.fios.verizon.net)
Date: July 27, 2013 10:31AM

Josh,

Try a 3/4" hole saw available at your local hardware store...works great.

Don Campbell
don@sensorfishingrods.com

Posted by: Ted Morgan (---.pa.nsw.optusnet.com.au)
Date: July 29, 2013 04:43AM

Use a 3/4 inch i.d. grip, and cut it to the length you need. Drill and ream a cap from either a solid disc, or a slice from a smaller grip to close it off. Glue the two together with contact cement.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster