I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

maths for Dec wrap
Posted by: chris short (149.135.147.---)
Date: July 23, 2013 07:36AM

Hi guys been practising a lot of Dec wraps lately and have one problem mainly and that is closing. I think it is my working out so am wondering if I can get some help on this please. I have billys book I just think I am missing something so was thinking I could compare your working out to mine. Wrap will be 200mm long butt circumference is 28.3, middle 28.3 and tip is 25.12mm. I am just having trouble creating lay out threads and on my practise I used the open wrap method as I thought there was not a lot of taper but had sections I could not close. Any help would be unreal

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: maths for Dec wrap
Posted by: Billy Vivona (---.nycmny.fios.verizon.net)
Date: July 23, 2013 08:31AM

Chris, I recently answerred a similar post to this. See if this helps:

Don O'Neil Give me your measurements in MM and I'll figure the spacing. It's much easier. I need large and small diameter and wrap length. It won't come out exactly the length you want so would you rather it were a little longer or shorter?
July 2 at 7:30pm · Edited

Billy Vivona SOmethign is not right off the bat. The diameter that you gave is huge, and you do FW rods. I'm going to walk through the process anyway because that is the point of this post to try and get you to understand what to do
July 3 at 7:33am · Edited · 1

Billy Vivona First thing you need to do is convert the inches to millimeters. Take your 10" .98 & .9 measurements and plug them into this conversion calculator website (bookmark this link). .98 = 24.89, and .9 = 22.86. 10" = 254mm
[www.metric-conversions.org]
July 3 at 7:35am · Edited · 1

Billy Vivona Next you need to convert the blank diameters to circumfrence. Using the following website, just plug in the diameter...24.89 = 78.19 (round to 78); and 22.86 = 71.81 (round to 72)
[www.math.com]
July 3 at 7:36am · 1

Billy Vivona So here are the new specs for you to find the taper offset spacing:
Butt: 78 Tip: 72 Length: 254
YOu will have to do a little math here. Rather than force yourself to use 254mm, use that as a guideline for about how long you want the wrap. Take the midpoint of this wrap which is 75mm, and multiply it by the number of repeats you want to use, and see which one is closest to your 254mm
2 repeats = 75 x 2 = 150mm
3 repeats = 75 x 3 = 225mm
4 repeats = 75 x 4 = 300mm
I will set up the spacing for both 3 or 4 repeats...and I am not going to worry that the blank diameter is a little different where you measured at 254mm, and 225 or 300mm - it's close enough
July 3 at 7:42am · 1

Billy Vivona 3 repeats - For the 180 spacing I will take the tip and butt diameters and filp flop them. The middle number will be calculated by the number that fits in the middle of 72 & 78...which is 75mm
****** 180 spacing: 72 75 78 ******
For the 0 spacing, you are going to divide the first and last number by 2 and fill in the blanks - you will have 4 spacing points marked 72/2 = 36 & 78/2 = 39
****** 0 Spacing: 36 73.5 76.5 39 ******
To make sure you did it right add all the numbers for the 0 axis, and make sure they equal the 180 spacing total.
July 3 at 7:48am · 1

Billy Vivona 4 repeats take tip & butt flip them. THere are 2 more numbers which need to be filled in between 72 and 78. IT works out pretty easily...
***** 180 spacing: 72 74 76 78 *****
For the 0 dived the lat two numbers by two, and fill in the blanks...
***** 0 spacing 36 73 75 77 39 ******
July 3 at 7:49am · 1

Adam Bricker Billy Vivona this definitely helped me understand how this is done , it is important for me as a rod builder to get this right & really understand how it works on paper rather than depend on a computer to do all the work for me . I allmost purchased Vi...See More
July 3 at 8:55am · 2

Billy Vivona No problem at all. John Fore asked how I got the 73.5 & 76.5 spacing on the o axis of the 3 repeat set up. IT is explained in my book in more detail (I think, somoene who actually read it please confirm, lmao).
Look at the spacing for the 180: 72 75 78...See More
about an hour ago · Edited · 2

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/23/2013 10:01AM by Tom Kirkman.

Posted by: chris short (149.135.147.---)
Date: July 23, 2013 08:34AM

Thanks Billy will look

Posted by: Forrest Peters (---.wi.res.rr.com)
Date: July 23, 2013 03:21PM

Bill I wanted to meet you at St Croix, but due to financial reasons I will not be attending this year. I even got your book so you could explain things to me. It stinks that I could not make it being so close but yet to far.I will be there next year I hope.

Lone Wolf Rods
"Keep your powder dry and your lines wet"
God Bless

Posted by: chris short (122.151.114.---)
Date: July 24, 2013 12:26AM

ok billy have been trying with this and your book and this is what I have come up with:
butt cir 28mm and tip cir 25mm length approx. 200mm.
so halfway point is 26.5mm multiply pass of 7 =185mm so will go with this.
180 axis is : 25,25.5,26,26.5,27,27.5,28
0 axis is : 13,25.25,25.75,26.25,26.75,27.25,27.75,14

wanting to do the spider pattern and your book says spacing a so once I lay down the cross threads I choose how many passes I want to do and use your spacings to make the box threads and then start wrapping? im hoping im on the right path

Posted by: Billy Vivona (---.nycmny.fios.verizon.net)
Date: July 24, 2013 08:16AM

THat is a small diameter blank right?
Teh spacing looks right
If the specs are correct that you posted and it is a small diameter blank, then plan on doing 7 passes. Look at the spacing chart, this tells you that after you lay down the initial cross you will make the box surrounding it 2mm away. Do yourself a favor and leave 3mm. THen alternate between the center cross and box, center cross (all 2 sides), box, center cross, box, etc. Until the pattern builds.

I never got back to you on the packing tool, sorry.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster