I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Papilio paper for decals
Posted by: Adam Curtis (---.static-ip.telepacific.net)
Date: July 22, 2013 02:19PM

Hi guys,

Quick question for you DIY decal dudes.

I'm using papilio paper, glossy white and clear vinyl with a inkjet. The clear is only good if I'm going to put the decal on a light colored blank or background, the glossy I can print a black background with whatever colors I want but the backing isn't sticking to the blank as well as I would like. The tag ends pull from the blank in spots.

Any hints or pointers?

I typically put the decal on while doing thread work so the decal may sit on the blank before finish for a day or two. That's where I'm seeing the pull off.

Thanks for your time.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Papilio paper for decals
Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: July 22, 2013 02:33PM

With all decals are you putting a coat of finish on -- then the decal ???

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Joe Vanfossen (---.neo.res.rr.com)
Date: July 22, 2013 02:44PM

They have permanent and and removable adhesives available in many of the decal papers. Which ones did you get? Are the blanks small diameter?

If nothing else, cover the decal with paper and wrap thread over top (leave it there while doing thread work) this will help conform the decal to the blank, and help with the lifting. I usually wrap over the ends of the decals a bit with trim wraps, and this helps too. One last thing is to round off the corners when you cut the decal out, especially if you won't be wrapping over top. The rounded corners aren't as likely to lift.

Joe

Date: July 22, 2013 03:06PM

Bill, I am not. I'm applying directly to the blank.

Joe, thanks for the tips. I think I got the removable without thinking about it. Not sure why I did. Maybe that's why I had an easier time with the last batch of paper... haha.

Date: July 22, 2013 03:08PM

[www.texascraft.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/22/2013 03:09PM by Adam Curtis.

Posted by: Steve Hartzell (---.hsd1.tx.comcast.net)
Date: July 22, 2013 03:15PM

This is not a great picture but is an example of the Papillo paper used with a color laser printer. The decal worked perfectly. I put down one coating of finish, applied the decal, and then another of finish on top.

[www.rodbuilding.org]

Steve Hartzell
Lake Conroe - Willis, Texas

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/22/2013 03:15PM by Steve Hartzell.

Date: July 22, 2013 03:18PM

I'm not putting the decal over thread, or don't have a need to. So are you guys saying to put a coat of finish down on the blank before I put my label on?

Posted by: Steve Hartzell (---.hsd1.tx.comcast.net)
Date: July 22, 2013 03:19PM

that's what I did.

Steve Hartzell
Lake Conroe - Willis, Texas

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: July 22, 2013 03:21PM

After printing the decal, wind the decal stock around a dowel that is slightly smaller in size that the area of the rod blank where you will located the decal. Leave it wound around the dowel overnight. Now when you cut it out, you'll find it maintains a natural curvature similar to that of the blank, which will reduce the tendency of the edges to lift.

Using a thread wrap over it, again overnight, also tends to clamp the paper in place and helps set the adhesive. Although you may find that after putting that curvature in, the thread clamp becomes redundant.

Date: July 22, 2013 03:56PM

No issue with thread putting grooves in the decal?

Steve I'll try that as well. Thanks!

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: July 22, 2013 04:00PM

What I have generally done with using the thread clamp technique, is to roll around sheet of paper over the decal and wrap on top of that. Use D or E thread to minimize any possible grooving.

Posted by: Chuck Mills (---.grenergy.com)
Date: July 22, 2013 04:09PM

Tom Kirkman Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> What I have generally done with using the thread
> clamp technique, is to roll around sheet of paper
> over the decal and wrap on top of that. Use D or E
> thread to minimize any possible grooving.
>
> ...........

I do the above as well.

Here's an idea for you with the clear film - you can paint the blank silver, gold or whatever and put a clear decal over that. Normally I print the decal with all the text "white" so it doesn't print, then the paint show through. I use solid colors or designs for the background. I have also used various adhesive backed metallic scrapbooking films wrapped on the blank under a clear decal.

Date: July 22, 2013 04:17PM

Thanks Chuck and Tom!

Appreciate the help guys!

Posted by: Michael Danek (50.33.219.---)
Date: July 23, 2013 09:27AM

Adam, I have not used the white glossy but have tons of experience with the matte white and have had no problems like you mention. It is very thin, compliant, sticks like crazy without sealer over it, looks very bright and glossy when finished with epoxy. I don't think glossy is an advantage.

The process:
Print the decal
Spray the sheet or individual decal with Papilio or Krylon UV resistant fixative
Cut out the decal
If it's going onto a dark blank, run a black sharpie around the edge to darken it
Prepare the blank by buffing with Scotch pad, just like you do to prepare for epoxy. Wipe clean. (If the blank has any wax or other contaminant on it, then the adhesion will probably be compromised)
Apply the decal firmly by hand
Burnish with a burnishing tool working from the center out and with the decal backing material as a protective layer between the decal and the tool
Apply a coat of CP around the edge to prevent epoxy from attacking the edge. This may be done just before epoxying-the label will stick to the blank without it or any epoxy. Doing it before wrapping ensures that if you are using no CP on the threads the edge still gets its CP. Don't worry if it looks a little rough-it won't after epoxy.
Do any wrapping that involves the decal. I often wrap the ends, but it's not necessary to make it stick. It just looks more finished. I have a rod that I just applied the decal to and did no wrapping and the decal is fine after about 4 years.
Apply two coats of epoxy.

These decals are so thin and compliant that an overlap onto themselves will probably be indetectable after epoxy is applied.

[www.rodbuilding.org]

Date: July 23, 2013 12:19PM

Thank you Michael for taking the time to write that up!

I have worked with the matte in the past and not had this problem like you mentioned but was curious about the glossy. Thought it might give the photos and decals more life.

Appreciate the step by step.

Thanks again!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster