I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

speeding a cure
Posted by: Mark Porter (91.216.197.---)
Date: July 09, 2013 01:36PM

Is there any way possible to speed the cure of an epoxy finish? I have a rod that I need to deliver tomorrow noon and will put the finish on when I get home tonight. The guy plans to put it in use on a camping vacation trip starting tomorrow night. Is there anything I can do to make the epoxy kick off quicker and set quicker? I am using Flexcoat if that makes any difference. Thanks.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: speeding a cure
Posted by: Randolph Ruwe (---.hsd1.wa.comcast.net)
Date: July 09, 2013 02:07PM

Heat, as in some lamps over the wraps as it is rotating. That is cutting it close though. Why not loan him a rod until his is fully cured?

Posted by: Andres Perez (---.coastalsystemsint.com)
Date: July 09, 2013 02:19PM

Mark,

That is a recipe for disaster. If you promised him the rod before the trip, you might need to bight the bullet and hope for the best. If this is something that just came up, let him know of the possible issues and have him make the decision. This will put the liability back on him.

Good luck,
Andres Perez
Miami, Fl

Posted by: Mark Porter (91.216.197.---)
Date: July 09, 2013 02:20PM

It took longer to get the blank than I was told it would. Nothing to loan him because its for an application that was made special for him. He will be gone for two weeks on this trip. If he does not get the rod he will be more than a little dissapointed. I will try to get him to not use it for a day or two if possible. May still try some heat to speed the cure if that will help any.

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: July 09, 2013 02:21PM

Put a couple of space heaters in a small room (closet) with the rod. Try to get the temperature to about 120-130 degrees. It will cure very quickly under the high heat.

Posted by: Tom Wewerka (---.bltmmd.fios.verizon.net)
Date: July 09, 2013 02:38PM

Also ,if he is going to be gone two weeks maybe he can wait a day or two before using it. That will surely help.

Tom
Bel Air Maryland

Posted by: John Cates (---.sub-70-195-199.myvzw.com)
Date: July 09, 2013 03:42PM

Mark

We here at Flex Coat will let the rod rotate for 2.5 hours to set, then put it on our truck or van with the windows rolled up. Since we live in Texas, that will heat it up fast and get it cured. We always say 24 hours of cure time is enough if you properly mixed your finish. The finish may be a little tender tomorrow but we would never let it keep us from fishing.

Flex Coat Company
Professional Rod Building Supplies
www.flexcoat.com

Posted by: Russell Brunt (---.mia.bellsouth.net)
Date: July 09, 2013 04:38PM

LOL! I was going to post just what John said. But then I live in Florida and it gets hot inside a car.

I have applied finish in the afternoon and fished with the rod the next day. Way I see it all finish will require re-doing sooner or later. I'd much rather keep the customer happy and have to recoat if the worst happened. But I'm betting it won't. Heck, seems to me the epoxy is most flexible now and would be more prone to cracking in several years time.

Russ in Hollywood, FL.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster