I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Goals?
Posted by: James Newsome (---.244.204.207.client.dyn.strong-sf33.as22781.net)
Date: July 07, 2013 08:41AM

Just curious as what your goals are in your custom rod building business. Mine have scaled back a little to where I just want to build and sell enough rods to pay for my own rod building and fishing habit. I had thought about more when I started this but sometimes the business is just not there. Custom rod sales are not automatic these days. Curious as to what other members intended and what they ended up with. Do you want to sell more rods? Are you happy with the number you are selling now? Do you make enough to consider it a second income? Or do you just make enough to make gas money for your own boat? Where is the line between hobby and real business?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Goals?
Posted by: David Lynch (198.74.46.---)
Date: July 07, 2013 09:00AM

And for a fishing habit. That would be great haha.

Posted by: Terry Turner (---.hsd1.or.comcast.net)
Date: July 07, 2013 11:30AM

For me, the goal was to provide a little extra income in retirement. I'm growing my client base, slowly and mostly through exposure in fly fishing shows in the Pacific NW. I'm considering getting a booth or 2 at a gun show but would probably show mostly gear rods at those venues. I've also paid some folks to help amp up my presence on Facebook, my website and god forbid, Twitter. So, we'll see how it goes.

The fly fishing shows tend to happen in the jan-april timeframe and keeps me hopping in the winter months. Sort of ramps down in the summer, which gives me some fishing time.

REgardless of the number of rods, I always strive for the best quality rod matched to the angler's needs. This has always been my first goal and seems to serve me pretty well.

Terry

Posted by: Buzz Butters (---.dhcp.fdul.wi.charter.com)
Date: July 07, 2013 06:00PM

James, are you doing this full time or part time?
I started part time for 15 years and now I am actually advertising and in June 2014 going full time. I also have two high school student who work in the rod shop 10 to 12 hours a week, each.
Let me know YOUR goals and perhaps I can send you some information that I have learned over the years.

Buzz

Posted by: chris short (149.135.147.---)
Date: July 08, 2013 04:36AM

I would love to build full time either for my self or someone. I really enjoy it but as I work 2 jobs its hard to find time as I have two small kids under 2. So my goal is in 5 years to build full time. Would be cool if there was some apprentetship when it comes to rod building. Any ways that's my goals

Posted by: James Newsome (---.244.204.207.client.dyn.strong-sf33.as22781.net)
Date: July 08, 2013 10:27AM

Thanks. My "business" is strictly a part time thing just to make a few extra dollars. Never had the sales to justify anything more and at this point it really serves to give me the opportunity to keep building rods. If I was only building for myself I would have been done after a few rods. Just wondered how many really operate as a bonafide business and make enough money to do more than pay for gas and travel expenses. I got the idea that it may not be very many.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster