I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

split cane bamboo restoration
Posted by: Harry Bell (---.dhcp.aldl.mi.charter.com)
Date: July 07, 2013 10:50AM

Recently acquired an older 9ft 7W split cane fly rod. Well used, not sure exactly how old it is. Casts well but needs restoration. This is my 1st fly rod. Need advice on guide selection, both size and manufacturer. Will be using it for steelhead and some brown trout. Thanks

Harry T. Bell

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: split cane bamboo restoration
Posted by: Terry Turner (---.hsd1.or.comcast.net)
Date: July 07, 2013 11:24AM

A little more info would help. Many bamboo rods come with a need to strip the old finish, and refinish as well as replace the guides.

For finish stripping I use a cabinet scraper, or an exacto knife held at 90 degrees to the surface for scraping off the old finish. Hopefully the blank doesn't show any signs of delamination which would require an entire redo, including gluing, binding and sanding prior to any finish.

You can use a good quality spar urethane for refinishing, and apply either by dipping the rod in a tube filled with finish, or using a foam brush with a V notch cut in it. Avoid runs and drips and sand lightly between coats. Plan on 3 coats of finish for your rod.

As far as guides go, this is more personal preference but for a steelhead size rod, hard to beat the Snake brand guides in either black or chrome finish. REC guides (the heavier duty ones) would also be a good choice. The stripping guide is up to you whether you want to go traditional, such as an agate insert and a smaller size, or more current with a black insert. Fuji or Alps or Amtak all make good products there. Probably a size 12 or 16, but most tend to the smaller sizes on bamboo rods.

So it's mostly up to you. Restoring Bamboo rods can be really satisfying and they are really durable fishing tools.

Terry

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: July 07, 2013 11:53AM

Try a Google search on Restoring Bamboo and you will get tons to read

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: July 07, 2013 02:44PM

I'm assuming that you've already made the decision not to restore the rod to original spec? If not, then it really doesn't make a lot of difference what type guides, thread, seat, etc., you use. If you're just going to fish it for your own personal pleasure, you can outfit it with whatever components you feel work best for you. Anything that you like on your graphite rods you're apt to like on your bamboo.

Out of curiosity, do you know what make and model the rod is?

Posted by: gary Marquardt (---.hsd1.mi.comcast.net)
Date: July 08, 2013 09:05AM

Harry, we need to talk. I've done hundreds of restores and I can walk you through the entire project and may even have parts kicking around. P.M. Me and I'll get you my phone number. From what I remember you are just West of me. I may be out your way next week.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/08/2013 09:08AM by gary Marquardt.

Posted by: Harry Bell (---.dhcp.aldl.mi.charter.com)
Date: July 08, 2013 04:43PM

Not finding how to P.M. here. Need to leave for woek. Maybe you could reply w/instr on how to P.M.? Sry for the inconvenience.

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: July 08, 2013 05:25PM

No PM available. You'll have to use personal email.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster