I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

new guide concept
Posted by: Bill Cohen (---.dhcp.embarqhsd.net)
Date: June 23, 2013 02:37PM

Building a xst1024f Rainshadow. Using concept method ,from the choker guide to the tip of the rod is 43 inches. Using little more than 4 inches between each guide it will take 10 guides . The total length of the rod is 8 1/2 ft using 9ft for calculations.
Using the tip top and 3 running guides the total amount of guide comes out to 14 guides does that sound right?

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 06/23/2013 02:44PM by Maryann Cohen.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: new guide concept
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: June 23, 2013 02:45PM

Not sure why you would use 9 feet for calculations if the rod length is 8 feet, 6 inches. Something is amiss here.

Can you provide the length of your handle to the front of the reel seat, and the diameter of your reel spool?

Date: June 23, 2013 02:54PM

For instance, a rod 7 feet in length is going to require about 8 guides
plus a tiptop. On half foot sizes, say, 7 and 1/2 feet, round up to the next full
length. So a 7’6” rod would require about 9 guides plus a tiptop. sorry for the confusion Tom

Date: June 23, 2013 02:58PM

Generally, yes. But on very long rods you might choose to use progressive spacing on the running guides which would reduce the total number of guides.

Date: June 23, 2013 03:05PM

length of handle to the front of reel seat 10 3/4 inches diameter of spool 2 inches thanks

Date: June 23, 2013 03:12PM

Okay, if you set the choker guide at 54 inches from the reel, adding in the roughly 11 for the distance to the front of the reel seat/reel, you're left with 37 inches to cover with the running guides.

I'd probably choke down in 4, and then use about 6 running guides for a total of 10 plus a tiptop. Give or take a guide perhaps.

Date: June 23, 2013 03:33PM

Tom did I do the math wrong? How did you come up with the new calculations? I would like to learn how to do it with out bothering you.
Im going to run into the same problem with a Rainshadow xst 1143 Using the same reel and probably the same handle Any suggestions on this one ? thanks for your help

Posted by: Joe Vanfossen (---.neo.res.rr.com)
Date: June 23, 2013 03:48PM

Maryann,

Tom's method is to place the choker 27 times the spool diameter (based on statistics for a variety of spinning blank/reel combinations optimized for casting distance) from the reel face (in center of oscillation). The choker is the first of the smallest guides, and you place the reduction guides so the outside of the guides fall on a straight line between the center of the spool or reel shaft and the choker.

Personally, I select reduction guides that give a progressive spacing, check them with a static test, and use the static test to place the running guides. I also tend to err on the side of adding an extra guide rather than pushing the lower limit, but I typically use micros when I can and will go to Minimas or Ti frames when larger guides are needed to keep the weight penalties in check.

Joe

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/23/2013 03:50PM by Joe Vanfossen.

Date: June 23, 2013 04:03PM

[www.rodbuilding.org]

Date: June 23, 2013 04:18PM

Hi Joe
. Its not the reduction guides that gave me the problem. Its the running guides that were way too many for the rod. Not unless I measured wrong. I checked both in inches and in metric several times.
My question to Tom was how he arrrived at the new calculations so I can learn from my mistakes.
I agree with your reply thanks

Date: June 23, 2013 04:22PM

You don't have to put the running guides at 4 inch intervals. You could use 5, or use a progressive spacing of 4, 5, 6, etc.

Date: June 23, 2013 04:38PM

My apologies its my mistake sorry abt all this

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: June 23, 2013 04:51PM

Check out the way to Static Test a guide train
An 8 1/2 ' rod I would start with 9 guides plus tip From the tip first guide about 4" then for the next 2 or three 1/4" then after that about 1/2" space - Just to start 4 - 4 1/4 - 5 - 5 1/4 Then add 1/2" instead of a quarter inch

Then after placed A static test will show you if you need another or not

OR

You can start with a spacing chart from whoever say St Croix MudHole And static test from there

Bill - willierods.com

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/23/2013 04:53PM by bill boettcher.

Posted by: Joe Vanfossen (---.neo.res.rr.com)
Date: June 23, 2013 06:51PM

Maryann,

No worries, nor need for an apology. There are lots of ways to skin the cat when it comes to spacing the running guides. You can use equal spacing, progressive spacing by adding say 1/4" or 1/2" to the distance between each pair of guides starting at 4"-5" for the distance from the first guide to the tip. You can use the static test to let the blank tell you where to put them, or you can use a spacing chart. In addition to the ones mentioned by Bill, Batson has spacing recommendations for each blank model. Find something similar, and that can be a great starting point as well.

A progressive spacing model that would work well for 6 running guides (including choker) would be this (gaps between each pair of guides):

5"+5.9"+6.8"+7.6"+8.4"+9.2"=42.9"

A second option with an extra running guide (7 including choker):
5"+5.4"+5.8"+6.2"+6.6"+7"+7.4"=43.4"

A third option with yet another running guide (8 including choker):
5"+5.1"+5.2"+5.3"+5.4"+5.5"+5.6"+5.7"=42.8"

The trick is to just sit down and tinker with the numbers. As much as I love calculations and numbers, being an experimentalist, I like to do things experimentally, hence my bias toward the static test. Not to mention, it's quick and easy to do.

Joe

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 06/23/2013 07:07PM by Joe Vanfossen.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster