I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

bought my first blanks , but are they good
Posted by: keith david (---.tmodns.net)
Date: June 12, 2013 11:19AM

So I meet a guy who has a TON of rod building supplies. And he lives pretty close to me .
His prices seemed really good. So I grabbed two blanks and need some feed back. One of them is a Seeker Ulua I paid $80 for it including a set of Mildrem Carbolite guides(11). The other blank is a Lamiglas cgbt961h 8' for $100.
Also picked up an Alps triangular reel seat for $20, and some other misc stuff.
Did I get good blanks? Another huge question I have is he said the Seeker Ulua needs a clamp on reel seat, what is that and where do I get one? I know im a newbie, and hope im not asking dumb questions. But this forum seems to give great answers. And im sure I will have alot more before I start the builds.
thanks in advance. Tight lines and wraps. Keith

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/12/2013 12:15PM by Tom Kirkman.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: bought my first blanks , but are they good
Date: June 12, 2013 11:52AM

Found out the Seeker blank is a SJ100.

Posted by: Russell Brunt (165.214.14.---)
Date: June 12, 2013 01:37PM

Of course they are good. Two of the top names in the biz.

The "real" question is,"are they the right blanks for my needs"? Only you can answer that.

The seeker is more of an old school west coast iron tossing rod. It would do for heaving live bait for kings and cobia off the piers. It is on the heavy side but if you don't mind that all is good.

The lami is composite, graphite, boat, trolling, 96 inches, 1 pc. heavy power. It is part of their tri-flex series. Very strong, tough blanks that are a little under rated IMHO. IIRC the heavy is rated 30-50#. Would make a top notch big grouper/jewfish/amberjack rod (although I'd rather have a 7 foot rod for that work). You could fish 60# test on it no problem. Retail price is probably a little under $200 so you got value. I use their 7 foot tri flex that is rated 15-30.

Russ in Hollywood, FL.

Date: June 12, 2013 01:42PM

Russell Brunt Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Of course they are good. Two of the top names in
> the biz.
>
> The "real" question is,"are they the right blanks
> for my needs"? Only you can answer that.
>
> The seeker is more of an old school west coast
> iron tossing rod. It would do for heaving live
> bait for kings and cobia off the piers. It is on
> the heavy side but if you don't mind that all is
> good.
>
> The lami is composite, graphite, boat, trolling,
> 96 inches, 1 pc. heavy power. It is part of their
> tri-flex series. Very strong, tough blanks that
> are a little under rated IMHO. IIRC the heavy is
> rated 30-50#. Would make a top notch big
> grouper/jewfish/amberjack rod (although I'd rather
> have a 7 foot rod for that work). You could fish
> 60# test on it no problem. Retail price is
> probably a little under $200 so you got value. I
> use their 7 foot tri flex that is rated 15-30.

Thanks my man, great input. Do you fish the piers often? Anglins?
Thanks again, Keith

Posted by: Russell Brunt (165.214.14.---)
Date: June 12, 2013 02:15PM

Have not fished piers in a long time (since the 1970's). Costs a little more, but the results were so much better, that I went with the drift boats instead. Eventually got my own boat, then friends, etc.

These days I'm back to square one with no boat and no friends with one. Actually been playing around at a local lake. Who knows, maybe I will give the pier a try. Dania is nearby and I hear they are going to re-open the newport pier.

Oh, on some of those seekers the butt of the rod was so fat they didn't make a reel seat to fit. You had to get a special clamp that fit your reel and extra long screws and clamp the reel on the blank. I know Newell offered them at one time. You could use a "plate" reel seat I'd imagine.

Click on my name and send me an email. We can talk on the phone if you would like.

Russ in Hollywood, FL.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster