I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Pam Nonstick Spray - Pour Foam
Posted by: Jeremy Reed (---.owb.bellsouth.net)
Date: June 09, 2013 08:10PM

I have never used Stoner urethane mold release, because I can't find it locally and I keep forgetting to order it. I've always used vaseline on my mandrels when using pour foam. Every time I use vaseline I still get pour foam left on the mandrel and sometimes it is still stuck pretty good. Tonight, I decided to clean the mandrel good, then use Pam nonstick spray to see if was better than vaseline. Well, what do you know, it is. I gave the mandrel a little twist with the channel locks and it slid right out. I've used Pam before when I was pouring squares of pour foam into a tubaware container (before I bought Riley Rods mold), and never had any issues with Pam. Looks like Pam is all I need for pouring foam.

Jeremy Reed
Reed Rods
Grand Rivers / Benton, KY

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Pam Nonstick Spray - Pour Foam
Posted by: Col Chaseling (---.lns5.ken.bigpond.net.au)
Date: June 09, 2013 10:26PM

Hi Jeremy,
The first time I used my mould I used vaseline on the mandrel and it was very difficult to get the core off. Second time I used the Stoner release agent and it can off easily. Will be hard for me to get more of the Stoner stuff when it runs out so will need to find something else. We don't have that Pam stuff in Oz so would be good if you could list what's in it and I'll try to find a similar product over here.

ESFNEM Col
Port Kembla, NSW
Australia

Posted by: Jeremy Reed (---.owb.bellsouth.net)
Date: June 10, 2013 12:07AM

It's just cooking spray made with canola oil. [www.pamcookingspray.com]

I'm sure Stoner release is better, but the cooking spray is definitely easier than the vaseline. You just need to make sure your mandrel is clean, then spray. I've done a number of pours tonight, and some slid off easier than others, but all of them could be done with just the channel locks and my hands. When the mandrel slides out, there hasn't been any residue from the foam left on the mandrel when I used Pam.

Posted by: Col Chaseling (---.lns5.ken.bigpond.net.au)
Date: June 10, 2013 01:52AM

Thanks Jeremy.

ESFNEM Col
Port Kembla, NSW
Australia

Posted by: Dick Ross (---.sub-70-199-137.myvzw.com)
Date: June 11, 2013 10:27PM

Pam,had not thought of that. I use paraffin and it too works great.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster