I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Blank branding
Posted by: barry batchelor (---.lightspeed.kscymo.sbcglobal.net)
Date: June 02, 2013 09:59PM

Lately I've been buying blanks in bulk at a bargain price from a well known supplier. These blanks dont contain any manufacturer info. They are nice blanks and I build them up into beautful rods for resale. The first question I get is "What kind of blank is it" I need a little advice from the group on how best to answer this question. Thank you in advance.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Blank branding
Posted by: Phil Erickson (---.dsl.pltn13.sbcglobal.net)
Date: June 02, 2013 10:59PM

Answer it honestly, if you know the mfg, tell them, if not use the supplier name. This is a delicate area, as some buyers want a "Brand", you will need to do your best marketing!

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: June 03, 2013 12:52AM

Barry,
Use the CCC method to measure and the power and action on the blank.

Then, just label it - "mystery rod".

If any one asks you simply tell them that you have no knowledge of the manufacturer.

Date: June 03, 2013 12:53AM

Or - put nothing at all on the blank with respect to labeling. If any one asks, just say - "I don't know".

Posted by: Fred Yarmolowicz (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: June 03, 2013 06:24AM

roger wilson Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Or - put nothing at all on the blank with respect
> to labeling. If any one asks, just say - "I don't
> know".

I cannot see how telling someone this will build confidence in your ability and product. Or labeling it mystery rod. That would be very unprofessional.

Freddwhy (Rapt-Ryte)

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: June 03, 2013 07:02AM

This is a tough question because every so often, a potential customer may be trying to find out what blank you're using, so he can go to another builder, tell him what blank to buy, and have the rod built for less money. A lot of these guys do shop based on priced.

You could always do what some of the suppliers do when they run across a good deal on blanks. Say that you're not able to disclose the maker but you have spent considerable time sourcing a product that meets your criteria for quality, performance to cost ratio, etc., etc.

Again, this is a tough question with no easy one-size-fits-all answer.

Posted by: gary Marquardt (141.211.151.---)
Date: June 03, 2013 09:21AM

In the past I too have used unlabeled blanks. but I got burned by a customer once. I told him it was a XXXXX made blank but came with no warranty. sure enough he broke the rod. then he called the maker direct and wanted the blank replaced. the maker was nice enough to replace it but I did get a phone call from them asking "what's up".

Posted by: Terry Turner (---.hsd1.or.comcast.net)
Date: June 03, 2013 11:07AM

I'm a full disclosure guy. If I build a rod for sale on a bargain bin blank, it's usually one a customer brings me. I always tell them upfront that there can't be a warranty on the blank. Since I sell a number of rods, one of the first questions I get is about the warranty. I can't warrant something that has no trail back to the manufacturer, unless I just want to eat it, which I don't.

The price point can be very attractive with bargain blanks as this is always the largest portion of the material cost. If you are in business for the long haul, it doesn't pay to use them unless a customer specifically requests it or you are pushing some sort of an introductory sale or promotion.

Terry

Date: June 03, 2013 11:40AM

Fred,
The only point that I was trying to make is that if you either don't know the maker or unwilling to reveal the manufacturer - then don't put anything on the rod that might not be 100% true.

So, if you don't want to share the information, or are unwilling to share the information for legal or other reasons, then just leave the name off the rod.

Posted by: barry batchelor (---.lightspeed.kscymo.sbcglobal.net)
Date: June 03, 2013 11:52AM

Thanks for the input guys. I think Tom hit it on the head. Many times we see offers from supplies that state. "We are unable to name a supplier source". For me this is a perfectly legitamite response. Of course I will have to sell the rods "As is". With no implied warranty. Let me ask this, say Joe blow goes to Wal Mart and buys a rod off the rack. Do not many of these cheaper rods carry no warranty?

Posted by: Steve Schoene (---.hsd1.va.comcast.net)
Date: June 03, 2013 02:53PM

I'd bet most of those Wal Mart rods do have a warranty. Everything sold by a merchant is warrantied unless the warranty is disclaimed explicitly and distinctively. That's also true of rods you sell made with unbranded, unknown blanks, unless you make it explicit and clear that you are offering no warranty.

Posted by: Randolph Ruwe (---.hsd1.wa.comcast.net)
Date: June 03, 2013 03:08PM

personally I would ask the supplier where the blanks were made and who made them. If he doesn't want to supply that information, I would be leery of the blanks being "back doored" from some manufacturer, and that might be why they are at such good prices. At the same time, J Kennedy Fisher only used a piece of masking tape on the butt section of their rods with the number of the blank and you had to know what the numbers meant to know which blank you had.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: June 03, 2013 03:50PM

Then again you can ask the supplier if the blank breaks - will he back it up ??
If they are that cheap and do break and no one backs it up ???
Maybe they are not worth it

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Andres Perez (---.coastalsystemsint.com)
Date: June 03, 2013 05:29PM

Barry,

Build yourself some nice rods, take plenty of pictures and use for marketing your work. After a season or two, sell them as used rods on the @#$%& site or CG. Worst case scenario, you had fun building them, fishing them and you might get your money back.

AP

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster