I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

fitting purchased fighting butts to a rod blank
Posted by: Rex Mason (---.sangtx.dsl-w.verizon.net)
Date: May 31, 2013 05:11PM

I would like to use pre-manufactured cork / composite cork fighting butts on the rods I build. These do not show any holes in the end after completion. However, I have not been able to enlarge the hole to the rod butt maximum diameter so that quality work if shown. I seldom build multi-piece rods, & I cannot turn the completed rod on a lathe.

Can anyone share with me how to ream these "fighting butts" and make a good looking & snug fitting job. I cannot find, locally at least, any multiple sized short reamers. I guess I could make several very short reamers and use a progression of these, but I cannot do a great deal of reaming and keep everything centered.
If push comes to shove, I can turn the composite end pieces with the cork rings and install a plug. I have done that with purely cork ring handles, but they do not seem to be as nice as I want them to.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: fitting purchased fighting butts to a rod blank
Posted by: Randolph Ruwe (---.hsd1.wa.comcast.net)
Date: May 31, 2013 05:36PM

If you have either a hand drill or better yet a drill press then chuck up a carving burr of the desired size and go to it. You can also chuck the burr into the rod lathe and working slowly, holding the butt by hand, grind out the center hole to desired I.D.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/31/2013 05:42PM by Randolph Ruwe.

Posted by: Adam Curtis (---.static-ip.telepacific.net)
Date: May 31, 2013 05:48PM

I LOVE my dremel for jobs like this.

Used to do it by hand with a rat tail file. The dremel knocks it out quick.

Posted by: ray balmforth (101.161.30.---)
Date: May 31, 2013 08:07PM

G'day Rex

Click on flex coat in sponsors column on the left and watch the building a fighting butt video might give yoiu a few ideas.

cheers

Ray Balmforth
Figtree
NSW
Australia

Posted by: Phil Erickson (---.dsl.pltn13.sbcglobal.net)
Date: June 01, 2013 05:51PM

How about using the appropriate size drill bit?

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: June 01, 2013 06:29PM

mark the bit as to how far you want it go into the butt with a piece of tape around it Bingo

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Arthur Wamback (64.192.133.---)
Date: June 02, 2013 10:07AM

Depending on the fighting butt length, you may have to use a thread shim, or a very thin masking tape shim where it fits a little more loosely on the blank because of the blank taper, then add winding check. Because you can't taper ream those finished butts, you need to ream the whole thing to butt diameter. If it's a long fighting butt, the blank taper may affect final fitting. That's where the shim and winding check come in. Am I understanding your question correctly?

Date: June 02, 2013 12:19PM

You could also drill it out and after fitting put an auto interior plug in the end ?? Suppliers also sell end plugs

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Rex Mason (75.104.192.---)
Date: June 03, 2013 03:58PM

Thanks to all of you guys.
FYI - I cannot drill the butt cap centered, & my drilling experience is pitiful, even with new bits. A faster drill speed might help.
Ray Balmforth (above) had the most useful suggestion (I think) when he recommended the Flex-Cote instructional video.
Bottom line, you guys have been a great help with suggestions that can assist "newbies" like me. If / when I find what works best for me I will share it on this thread.

whenever you are faced with a situation where you must choose between the lesser of 2 evils,
try the one you haven't tried before.

Date: June 03, 2013 04:20PM

With a drill bit that fits the hole already there snugly will help to keep the bit straight You should have what 1/2" to drill
Then ream it out to fit the blank A cap over the hole
Your good to go

Just don't drill into your hand LOL

Bill - willierods.com

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster