I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

handle turning on mandrel
Posted by: Thomas R. Zack (---.62.36.69.in-addr.arpa)
Date: May 27, 2013 08:57PM

I'm turning wooden handles on a mandrel and it's very difficult to remove the handle after turning, is there something I could use so it will slide off the mandrel easier without hindering the handle /blank glue-up?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: handle turning on mandrel
Posted by: Phil Erickson (---.dsl.pltn13.sbcglobal.net)
Date: May 27, 2013 10:14PM

If it is so hard to get it off, how are you getting it on the mandrel? Also, if you are attempting to take it off right after turning it, the wood may still be warm or even hot, this causes it to expand which can make it tighter on the mandrel, try waiting for it to cool. For tough ones, I have a device ( name unknown) that is rubber that I puy into my workshop vice, that I can insert an end of the mandrel into, then clamp it firmly, and then pull the handle off, being sure to pull from the furthest end so as not to separate any glue ups.

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: May 27, 2013 10:22PM

Thomas,
Take the mandrel off the lathe.
Chuck the mandrel into a variable speed drill.
Either run the drill in one direction or the other to simply screw the mandrel out of the handle.

As Phil pointed out, use your hand on the drill end of the handle when turning the handle off of the mandrel to avoid separating the handle.

But, even if you don't have a threaded mandrel, the handle will screw off in a heart beat.

Posted by: Terry Turner (---.hsd1.or.comcast.net)
Date: May 28, 2013 10:51AM

Yes, you'll have to share more info on how you are getting it on the mandrel to start? Are you gluing up laminated sections or just getting a tight fit?

I started using a threaded mandrel that doesn't require such a tight fit.

Terry

Posted by: Thomas R. Zack (---.dhcp.aldl.mi.charter.com)
Date: May 28, 2013 12:24PM

I'm using a 7/16 threaded mandrel and a 7/16 drill bit so it's a tight push to get it on. I think maybe as suggested it might come off easier if I wait a bit after turning it. Ya some are lam. Some are not.

Posted by: Jay Lancaster (---.hfc.comcastbusiness.net)
Date: May 28, 2013 01:07PM

Since you're using threaded rod put double nuts on one end so you have a jam nut. Put a wrench on the stationary nut and a strap wrench on your handle. Turn.

Date: May 28, 2013 01:47PM

If you are using a threaded mandrel, rather then try to "push" it off, merely unscrew it off the mandrel. You can speed this up by putting one end of mandrel in an electric hand drill.

Posted by: Thomas R. Zack (---.sub-70-199-97.myvzw.com)
Date: May 28, 2013 02:11PM

Actually its the TK mandrel not threaded rod. It's a tight fit to push it on and pull it off but I'll let it cool a bit first and see how that works . Thanks for all the advise.

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: May 28, 2013 05:25PM

Thomas,
Whether it is threaded or not, put the end of the mandrel into an electric drill and screw it out of the handle.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: May 28, 2013 05:44PM

if you get it off Let us know
I for one think you did three things wrong
Too much glue With rod bond a very thin coat is all needed THIN
Too tight a fit Gluing on a threaded rod where the rings can be moved easy is better Then two nuts to squese them together THEN REAM TO FIT A MANDREL
And it does not sound like you coated the mandrel so the rings do not glue to it

If you get this off let us know I would like to know

Bill - willierods.com

Date: May 28, 2013 07:01PM

Sorry if some were mislead or misunderstood, but , I don't have a handle stuck on the mandrel it's just that the wooden handles are very tight going on and off the mandrel not that I can't get them off. I just thought if there was some kind of "wax" that would make that easier but wouldn't hinder the blank/handle glue up . I noticed that mudhole had some mandrel wax but I didn't know if that was something that would help.

Date: May 28, 2013 07:17PM

In that case Maybe a layer of masking tape will help

it has to be tight enough so as you shape it does not turn

If you are getting it off
I have No Idea

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Richard Curry (---.48.187.173.dynamic.ip.windstream.net)
Date: May 28, 2013 07:46PM

Thomas,

Try calling Mud Hole at 1--866-790-7637 then go to EXT.115 or EXT.120, they are tech to help you with any problems you may come up with, they have saved my butt more than I can remember .
They are there to help. They love what they do I think!!! Give them a try.

What is life without fishing ?

Date: May 28, 2013 07:56PM

If you just want to wax the mandrel to make slide on and off easier, use parrafin, or even candle wax. Just be sure that after finishing the turning that you ream enough to get the wax residue out of the handle as it will inhibit adhering it to the blank.

Date: May 28, 2013 08:10PM

thanks everyone I appreciate all the help.

Posted by: Jay Lancaster (---.hsd1.sc.comcast.net)
Date: May 28, 2013 11:36PM

How about instead of using a 7/16" (0.4375") bit for the handle you source a 11.2mm bit (0.4409")...it may still be tight enough. Worth a shot for a few dollars.

[www.biscotoolsupply.com]

Posted by: Michael Blomme (---.direcway.com)
Date: May 29, 2013 10:12AM

I had the same problem when I first began turning wood grips as well as birch bark grips. I use a smooth mandrel with a drill collar as a restraint and a threaded end on the one end of the mandrel. The heat generated when you are turning the mandrel causes the expansion of both the steel mandrel as well as the wood of the grip. The reason for the grip being "stuck" on the mandrel is the the coefficient of expansion of metals is much larger than those of the metal. I finally solved the problem by placing the mandrel with the "stuck" grip in the chest freezer we have in our garage. I left it in the freezer over night and then quickly inserted the mandrel in the chuck on my lathe and it is relatively easy to break the grip free of the mandrel. I do use paraffin to coat the mandrel before putting the wood piece on the mandrel. This process works well for me. Good luck with your project.

Mike Blomme

Posted by: Bill Ballou (---.hsd1.tn.comcast.net)
Date: May 29, 2013 04:57PM

I will agree with Bill B. about masking tape. I'm either turning handles that have 1/2" or 9/16" hole. My mandrel is aluminum stock from home store.

Will put enongth masking tape to keep piece from slipping. Use quite a bit for the larger hole.

They come off pretty easy

Posted by: Eric Viburs (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: June 01, 2013 08:41AM

i have a beat up old stick candle that I always coat my mandrels with prior to putting the handles on. You have to remember to run a reamer though it when you are done though to "clean" it out, other than that it backs out nice an smooth, sometimes you need a drill to get it going but it is never difficult and I have never had an issue.

Date: June 01, 2013 10:55AM

I would also think a Tapered Mandrel and then reaming the wood to fit would work better

Bill - willierods.com

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster