I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Finish alternatives locally?
Posted by: David Blair (216.218.254.---)
Date: May 28, 2013 10:45AM

Trying to get a rod ready. Pretty new to this. I know expoxy is the way to go but is there anything at the local Lowes or HD that would work pretty good? Any clear coat product you guys know about that might stand up for a few years on a fishing rod's wraps? I want something easy and do not care if I have to give it a few coats. Thx.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Finish alternatives locally?
Posted by: Terry Turner (---.hsd1.or.comcast.net)
Date: May 28, 2013 10:56AM

Spar urethane is available at any hardware store and will do in a pinch. It's what the bamboo guys used for years and many still do. It may add a touch of an amber tint to your wraps but if they are darker colored, probably not noticeable. You'll need several coats to finish smooth, probably 4-5 but they can be put on about an hour apart.

Terry

Posted by: Terry Turner (---.hsd1.or.comcast.net)
Date: May 28, 2013 10:56AM

Sorry for the double post.

Terry

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/28/2013 10:56AM by Terry Turner.

Posted by: Casey Abell (---.dhcp.insightbb.com)
Date: May 28, 2013 01:32PM

If you have a craft store near you they should have casting resins... "Easy Cast" has been said to be the same stuff re-packaged as another brand of wrapping resin. I cant confirm or deny that its just what Ive heard. Ive used it with good results.

Lows sells a coating called Glaze Coat. Its used for coating bar tops. Mixes the same as any other resin and actually has what I think are better characteristics than some of the actual resins out there. I do not believe though that it has the UV inhibitors that other actual wrapping resins have though. Or at least I have not found anything that says it does or does not. I have used this stuff MANY MANY times for examples since its so cheap. I also have used it with great success in making CF handles as I use it as the buildup resin.

If I ever find out that Glaze Coat wont yellow with exposure to the sun I wont use anything else. Thats how much I like it, and its available locally.... AND ITS CHEAP

Posted by: Garry Thornton (24.114.91.---)
Date: May 29, 2013 01:37PM

I too have been using a two part Bar Top finish with good results.
Mine is called Enviro Tex Lite.
It was a gift from a carpenter friend in Canada, who had it left over from a project.
I'm not sure if it's sold under that name in the USA.

Posted by: Lou Auret (204.16.161.---)
Date: May 29, 2013 03:25PM

easy way to test if it UV resistant: coat some old pieces of blank that have been wrapped in blues and browns and whites and then peg them out in your yard for a year or two.
Underside compared to top will tell the tale.
you will see bleaching/fading and the white will show the yellowing.
Plus it cost a few pennies and YOU know what works .
I have the results from several tests on things from PG to water based poly's.

Posted by: Ron Hossack (---.spkn.qwest.net)
Date: June 11, 2013 09:05AM

Garry Thornton Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I too have been using a two part Bar Top finish
> with good results.
> Mine is called Enviro Tex Lite.
> I'm not sure if it's sold under that name in the USA.

I've used this for years and it is available here in the USA. I do cut mine about 50% before applying to the guides.

Look for a place whose initials are HL and offer weekly 40% off coupons and that $13 for 8oz can becomes very attractive.

I've been playing with some Waterborne Poly's that have UV in them also.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster