I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Grip weights
Posted by: Col Chaseling (101.161.185.---)
Date: May 24, 2013 05:32AM

Hi Gents,
I made another grip from cork floor tiles and I cored the blank and fitted a 22mm foam core. This ones is just a blank at the moment but it is a similar size to the first one so I got a weight to see the difference. The cored one weighs in at 39.3grams compared to 78 grams for the first one so there is a considerable weight saving so it's worth the effort. It will get a bit lighter when finised but will be smaller than the first one.
Anyone that was worried about the weight of the first one can get a significant weight loss using a foam core as was indicated by JP Timberlake. I'm not worried by the weight of the first one and will use it at some stage.

ESFNEM Col
Port Kembla, NSW
Australia

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Grip weights
Posted by: chris short (149.135.147.---)
Date: May 25, 2013 08:40AM

Hey col. So with these grips you shape as wanted but "bore" the cork out more and place this over the foam core. If so how did you core out the cork. Been working on an eva grip from Billy's blocks so will show you when done. I likes the look of the floor cork

Date: May 25, 2013 05:52PM

Hi Chris,
I've glued everything up as normal except for one piece on one end. After it is dry I removed the mandrel(1/4") and bored out a 22mm hole using an old drill bit used for boring wood with a hand drill. I cut the end off and used it in a cordless drill. Easier to do if you have a lathe. Then make a core 22mm diameter and the correct length. Glue it and the missing bit of cork in and put in a clamp until dry. Just need to ensure you make the core a few mm's bigger than the smallest size you are turning the grip to.
None of it's difficult.

ESFNEM Col
Port Kembla, NSW
Australia

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: May 26, 2013 09:13AM

Col,
You mention that it is easy to center bore a grip using a lathe. Correct.
Here is a picture of the system that I use.
I use a ball bearing rod rest at the off end from the head stock to stabilize the end of the grip.
Then, just use the appropriate sized bit to either match the blank size - or to core out a grip for lighter weight.

[www.rodbuilding.org]

Date: May 26, 2013 07:00PM

Hi Roger,
I didn't have any problem doing it with a cordless drill and I don't have a proper lathe as I don't have the space. Chris, Ray Balmforth and Mark Newcombe have all got them so they would be interested. Thanks for the info.

ESFNEM Col
Port Kembla, NSW
Australia

Posted by: Phil Erickson (---.dsl.pltn13.sbcglobal.net)
Date: May 27, 2013 12:59PM

Col, don't you have the comment " Just need to ensure you make the core a few mm's bigger than the smallest size you are turning the grip to." backwards? If you make the core bigger then the smallest diameter, you will get into the core.

Posted by: Col Chaseling (---.lns5.ken.bigpond.net.au)
Date: May 27, 2013 05:25PM

Hi Phil,
You are correct!! I know what I meant but it has definitely come out backwards, appologies to all.
The core needs to be a few millimeters smaller than the smallest diameter of the grip.

ESFNEM Col
Port Kembla, NSW
Australia

Posted by: George Kerr (---.lightspeed.gnbonc.sbcglobal.net)
Date: June 12, 2013 07:32AM

Hi All,
Do you guys know a resource for floor tile cork?
I checked Home Depot and Lowes, and found they only carry cork flooring as a special order, and the samples they have are faux cork flooring that is laminated to another material. I am looking for a place to buy a small amount to try it.

Thanks,
George

George Greensboro, N.C.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster