I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

FENWICK NIGHTCRAWLER SECRETS ROD
Posted by: ROBERT REED (---.ptldme.east.myfairpoint.net)
Date: May 20, 2013 10:31AM

I JUST FOUND A FENWICKNIGHTCRAWLER SERIES ROD MODEL FL108-9. I DETERMINED IT WAS A BLANK FLY ROD, BUT THE NIGHTCRAWLER SECRETS MAKES ME THINK IT MIGHT BE DIFFERENT. IT IS BUILT AS A SPINNING ROD.
ANY INFO WILL BE GREATLY APPRECIATED.
THANKS

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: FENWICK NIGHTCRAWLER SECRETS ROD
Posted by: Scott Grady (---.applwi.dedicated.static.tds.net)
Date: May 20, 2013 11:54AM

Robert,
In the mid 70's Fishing Facts Magazine had a series of rods designed to fish nightcrawlers with light hooks and line. They made the rods near Milwaukee, WI. There was a book called "Lunkers Love Nightcrawlers" that details the rods in it.
Scott

Date: May 21, 2013 12:29PM

Thank you very much for the info.
Bob

Posted by: Vic Cutter (---.olypen.com)
Date: May 21, 2013 03:25PM

Robert,
The Fenwick FL108-9 blank that you mentioned was an E-Glass Fiberglass fly rod blank that was offered by Fenwick until they discontinued selling blanks in 1985. If it is is a two piece blank then the proper model number is FL108-9F. The added F stands for ferruled. At various times in it's product life cycle it was offered in both Fenwick yellow and Fenwick Brown.
I suspect that in the '70's and 80's many of these fly blanks were made up as spinning rods by builders all over the country but it was very popular in the Upper Midwest. You will occasionally see these blanks turn up on @#$%&.
During the years from 1975 to 1985 Fenwick was selling fewer than 50 of this model per year so there was not a huge supply available back then and considerably less today.

Vic

Date: May 23, 2013 12:31PM

Vic
Thank you very much. The history is very interesting to me.
Bob

Posted by: Bruce Frierdich (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: June 05, 2013 06:39PM

Hi, Just to add a little to this post, Fishing Facts had a line of rods for a few years including various spinning and casting rods in addition to the nightcrawler secrets rods. The ones I recall were based on Fenwick's gold series blanks. This began when they were a storefront on Oakland Ave. on the east side of Milwaukee and then carried over when they moved to Menomonie Falls. They offered two nightcrawler secrets rod, one 8 1/2' and a shorter one that was 7' if memory serves me. The 8 1/2' rod was very floppy with terrrible dampening, and while it allowed the fisherman to use light line, setting the hook was a challenge and controlling any fish around wood or weeds was not easy. The rod also lacked for sensitivity. If I wanted one today, I would not search the @#$%& site but rather would buy a medium fast to fast fly rod blank. MudHole offers some nice ones but there are other sources as well. Add a split cork handle and light reel seat with light guides and you'd be all set. The alternative would be to buy a European style rod, maybe 10-11'. There are some good ones available.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster