I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Suggestions for first timer
Posted by: Cory Schoonover (---.ok.ok.cox.net)
Date: May 14, 2013 11:53AM

I just found this forum, have enjoyed it so far. I have always wanted to build my own rod, but it's a bit overwhelming, as to where to start. I use ultra light between the 5'-6' range, and medium action from 6'-8' range. Which would be the best for me to start with? Where should I start, as far as reading/learning sequence (blank, eyelets, seat, threads, butts, glues, etc)? Thank you for any help.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Suggestions for first timer
Posted by: Mark L'Oste-Brown (158.89.13.---)
Date: May 14, 2013 12:43PM

Not sure what others think but I reckon start off with a kit in the medium range. It will have everything in it you need and some even come with a rod building video. Great way to start off.

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: May 14, 2013 12:55PM

The Flex Coat video "How We Do It" would be a good place to start.

Posted by: Adam Curtis (---.static-ip.telepacific.net)
Date: May 14, 2013 01:02PM

Hi Cory,

For basics on tools and the stages of the build, Mudhole has some good youtube videos and Doc Ski has a rod building DVD that compliments them very well.

My tip: Good instruction is usually repeated by different people.

Oh and you should start clearing room somewhere in your house for all the stuff your about to purchase.

Posted by: Robert Metzger (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: May 14, 2013 01:16PM

Tom is being modest. His Rodbuilding Guide is is probably easiest
to understand, most complele resource for a beginner out there.

Posted by: Robert A. Guist (---.dhcp.embarqhsd.net)
Date: May 14, 2013 02:07PM

1000X Robert's, Tom's and Mark's.

Bob,

New Bern, NC.

Posted by: Jay Lancaster (---.hsd1.sc.comcast.net)
Date: May 14, 2013 02:38PM

Before I started I got both Rodbuilding Guide by Tom Kirkman and Advanced Custom Rod Building by Dale Clemons. Both are excellent & I recommend. Tom's book is a much more condensed version and will make a quick read.

Order the books, and while you're waiting on their shipment watch all the YouTube videos you can find.

Don't be intimidated.

Posted by: Don Morse (---.dhcp.aldl.mi.charter.com)
Date: May 14, 2013 03:10PM

Find a builder in your area that will walk you through a build, their experience, tips and tricks are invaluable.

Posted by: Bill Eshelman (---.lightspeed.bcvloh.sbcglobal.net)
Date: May 14, 2013 04:35PM

How We Do It.............Video from Flex Coat

Rod-Building Guide.........By: Tom Kirkman

Bill

Ohio Rod Builders

Canton, Ohio

Posted by: jon edwards (---.lightspeed.wpbhfl.sbcglobal.net)
Date: May 14, 2013 04:45PM

when i first started i looked here and was told i should get the "rod-building guide by Tom Kirkman" best $15(i think was 15) i ever spent and if you dont understand anything in the book he owns this forum also lol....he has been the best source of everything ive learned along with everyone on this forum and really i learn something or multiple things on here every day

the other thing i got when i first started was a st croix kit from mudhole.com and it came with a complete rod build...i just needed to buy tip glue, epoxy finish, thread, tools and rod bond and you can get some wood and make your own hand wrapper on the cheap

good luck on your first build!

Posted by: Roman Chamine (162.119.232.---)
Date: May 14, 2013 08:54PM

X3 on Tom's book

Posted by: Russell Brunt (---.mia.bellsouth.net)
Date: May 14, 2013 09:08PM

There are a lot of things that will help. From the right books, to watching videos, to a local builder who will mentor. At the end of the day nothing beats a willingness to set aside what you think you know, and want, and being willing to spend the time/money/effort to try a few things. At first, our ideas of what we think are proper are often the biggest things to overcome.

For that reason I'm going to suggest you don't go with a kit. I'm going to suggest you post detailed info about where you live, what areas you fish, what fish you target, what techniques you use to catch them, etc. Chances are high someone here will have the low down on the optimum build. You might have to get over the idea that a Tenn. handle with # 3 micro guides is best and just trust the collective wisdom.

Strange as it might sound....but if it was me I'd spend more on my UL rod. Despite where I live, I fish mine a lot. I wouldn't hesitate to spend the money on a St. Croix SC5 with titanium guides if I knew it was going to be a mainstay.

Black A thread is easy and pretty doesn't catch fish. Get the performance first and worry about the looks later.....IMHO. It doesn't take much to build a fishable rod......the skill is mostly in the looks.....PROVIDED you listen to the excellent advice you can get here for free.

Russ in Hollywood, FL.

Posted by: Cory Schoonover (---.dyn.hsi.pldi.net)
Date: May 14, 2013 10:02PM

Thank you everyone, for the in depth advise. I am excited about getting at it. However, my plan is to learn as much as I can, then take a stab at a build. Thanks again!

Posted by: Russell Brunt (---.mia.bellsouth.net)
Date: May 15, 2013 05:55AM

A great place to start is rebuilding an old rod. Pick a spinning rod you know well....with double foot guides ideally. Using the 27X method, with single foot guides, should yeild a noticeable difference,

Russ in Hollywood, FL.

Posted by: Chester Kiekhafer (---.client.mchsi.com)
Date: May 15, 2013 10:44AM

I was in your position a year ago. I went with a somewhat local shop to get info and help with rod selection. They fixed me up with everything I needed and even provide me with some one-on-one training on the spot. They listen to me in what I wanted to accomplish and then helped me narrow down my selection. Now my first rod will always be my first rod. It is very functional and was expensive. Now my crafted has improved, my knowledge has increased and my rod are still very functional and look much nicer.

There has been very good advise already posted so I'm not going to repeat it..

Chester

May your line be tight and your beverages be cold!

Posted by: Roger Templon (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: May 15, 2013 07:55PM

Cory

What part of this world do you live in? If you're in my area I would be glad to show you what little I know about how I have learned to build a half decent rod.

Rog

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster